DA/SA 40 recommendation

I got a police trade-in P229 for under $300. The finish is scratched, but I don't care. It's a high quality firearm and an excellent shooter.

I got a police trade-in P229 for under $350 but it was in 357sig, I would love to add a 40 cal barrel to the collection. I also would keep an eye out for an FNX-40 or Beretta 96, all good options.

I picked up a USP 40 used in immaculate condition for $600 a couple years ago and absolutely love this gun! It's my dedicated nightstand gun and highly recommend.

Since nobody mentioned it, do look into the Bersa BPCC or other varients. I don't own one but I do have 2 bersas in 380 and they are one hell of a bargan.

I doubt a Bersa compares to the Sigs in cost and beauty but in functionality and reliability they are at least equal.

Last edited:
I dont know much about the CZ PO7 that you're looking at. I would assume it's probably a good gun. If you have done your research and like it, go for it...

I don’t have any experience with the P-07 in .40 SW, but I own a 9x19mm 2nd Gen P-07 Supressor-Ready, and it is a superb pistol.

To be honest, I wouldn’t buy any new pistol in .40SW, unless you’re just heavily invested in that caliber - there are just so many trade-in/surplus .40SW pistols on the market for great prices and in great condition.

The OP also mentions that he/she wants a pistol that is fun to shoot, and 9x19mm fits that bill over .40SW due to cheaper ammo costs and typically lower felt recoil.

I hope I didn't miss the boat here. I went on this same quest a few years ago. I tried a lot of .40-caliber handguns. Hands down, my favorite was the Beretta PX4. Despite having a polymer frame, it was both the most comfortable to shoot and the easiest for me to shoot accurately at speed. The rotating barrel system seems to have a lot to do with that. Capacity is 14, which is good for .40 S&W. I greatly preferred the stock DA/SA trigger of the PX4 to the P30.

Not everyone likes the batwing safety levers on the PX4. Beretta makes a kit to convert them to flush-fitting decockers. Doing that makes a huge difference in perceived width. It really helps to give it an edge for when you want to carry a full-sized forty. You should be able to get both the kit and the gun for under your $600 limit, with a little extra to put towards extra magazines.

I ended up going with the p229. I found a brand new one on cdnn for $570. I was looking at some factory refurbished ones, but it’s a crapshoot as to what model and features you end up with. 50% off a brand new p229 with 2 mags and a case was just too good to pass up. One day I’ll own a cz and hk as well but I’m pumped for my new sig to get here. Thanks for all the help guys this is an awesome forum!!

Back