DA/SA 40 recommendation

gweyns114

Inactive
Hey everybody I’m new to the forum today. Currently my only pistol is an XDS in 45. It’s a great cc pistol but it’s low capacity, not the funnest to take out shooting, and I really don’t concealed carry all that often. It spends more time in my truck and open carry when I’m hiking or mt biking. I’m looking for a DA/SA with decent capacity that’s fun to shoot and could be carried concealed from time to time for under $600. My local gun store has a CZ P07 40 that I’m pretty interested in especially considering they stopped making them last year. Other guns I’m interested in are the sig sp2022, fnx 40, and the hk p30. Should I go ahead and pick up the P07, or should I choose one of the other options?

Since the HK P30 in .40 goes for around $500 - $575 these days that would be my choice. I really like my P30L in 9MM a whole lot. The only downside might be the cost of extra magazines. If not to heavy for you a used or CPO metal frame SIG P229 would be a terrific pistol too. I have seen lots of really nice used ones for close to $400.

My dad has a sig p220 sas and that is a really nice gun. Still not very high capacity but a blast to shoot. The sp2022 was in my price range brand new but I’ll have to keep an eye out for a used p229.

Keep an eye out for a used p229
Good advice and Sig makes a very good pistol...you'll never have to upgrade. If the grip suits you, that'd be my advice. It's a p226 in all but bbl. length making it easier to conceal. In my opinion, Sig makes the best of the DA/SA pistols. Get one with tritium Sig night sights, a must-have on any carry gun in my opinion. YMMv and probably will. Rod

There have been a ton of great deals on CPO SIG P229s in .40 S&W in the last couple of years. I picked up one in virtually like-new condition with a no-rail West German frame last year from CDNN for $500. The SIG P229 handles .40 S&W extremely well.

I'm a big CZ fan. I have a full sized 75B, a 75 Compact, a P01 and a PCR, and long ago I had a 40B.

I also used to have a SIG P229 in .40. I sold it when I needed the funds more than the gun and have regretted it since. I finally bought another the other day (a local gunshop had a used .40S&W at a nice price).

If you can find a nice used P229 at a decent price, jump on it. The CZ P07 is just fine, most who own them are quite happy. However, I'd be willing to go on a limb and say that the P229 in .40S&W is probably the nicest .40S&W pistol made, and definitely the nicest DA/SA .40 made.

If you don't mind used, a Beretta 96 would be worth looking at.

Welcome to the forum.

Are there any rental ranges in your area?

You might be able to find a gently used HK USP for $600 or under. Definitely my most favorite DA/SA .40 for sure.

Looks like the top two contenders after your recommendations and some research are the p229 and the p30. I’ve got a cousin with a p229 that I’ll have to put some rounds through. I don’t know anyone with a p30 so I’ll have to hold one in the store and see how it feels. Thanks for the help guys!!

Keep your eyes on websites like Aimsurplus, J&G, and even Gunbroker.

Plenty of trade-in and surplus .40SW service pistols are out there and can be found for good prices as many agencies are dumping .40SW for 9x19mm.

I have a Sig P226 in .40, paid about $500 a few years back, and I think these are a great choice at a good price in this caliber.

"...XDS in 45...funnest(SIC) to take out shooting..." Change ammo. While it is best and you need to practice with the ammo you use for CCW, not all shooting has to be practicing for CCW.
In any case, you really need to try a .40 S&W before buying one if you can. Any local shops with a range where you can rent one?
Try a PO7 if you can. Short barrels tend to have more muzzle blast. Means they're not always fun to shoot because shooting is fun. And the thing needs to fit your hand.

Anybody have experience ordering from TSS warehouse? They've got factory refurbished p229s for $430 with free shipping. Just about the lowest price I've found so far, but I haven't been able to get ahold of them to find out if the guns come with a case, mags, e2 grips, etc. CDNN has a couple brand new p229s for only $579, and it's tempting to spend the extra $150 for a brand new gun with all of the goodies...

I dont know much about the CZ PO7 that you're looking at. I would assume it's probably a good gun. If you have done your research and like it, go for it...

But the only recommendation I can give based on experience and what seems to fit your criteria is a Sig P229.

Lots of good used and refurbished ones out there for $450-$550. Not sure what a new one goes for but they cant be too much more than that, can they???

my personal 3 Sig P229, CZ 40B, USP 40
cI3bY5j.jpg

Beretta 96 is a good option along with the CZ P07/09
Striker fired the all around good for nearly anything G23 and the S&W M&P 40 2.0
zQ5A2ia.jpg

0oEwau9.jpg

I havent bought a 2.0 yet but shot it and like it

Back