DA Revolver search

The guy who owns the range where I shoot also teaches pistol permit classes. As part of his classes he uses a DA .22 revolver in live fire exercises. He has been doing this for a good many years, and his class revolver is getting tired so he's looking for a replacement. The problem is, he wants a double action, and he wants a six-shot.

The logical choices (Ruger, Taurus, Charter Arms) are all higher capacity.

Does anyone make a six-shot, double action revolver today?

As you are well aware the S&W 617 used to come in a six shot version and if he's amenable to a used gun they still can be found with a little effort

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/898685220

I've heard, but don't know if it's true, that a premium gun like this most likely would still be pretty tight even if used a lot.

Smith: M66, 19, 10, 67, 15, 18.....all used...tho the 66 is still in production AFAIK...and short of an aged police turn-in, any of the preceding is virtually unbreakable....

S&W still lists the Model 17 Masterpiece sixshooter. If he doesn't mind a 6" barrel.
Otherwise, there is nothing I would consider but a clean used Model 18.

Smith: M66, 19, 10, 67, 15, 18.....all used...tho the 66 is still in production AFAIK...and short of an aged police turn-in, any of the preceding is virtually unbreakable....

I think the question is about 22 caliber wheelguns only.

A lot of S&W Model 17's out there if you don't mind a used gun. I picked up a nice 5 screw made in 1947 a couple of years ago. The nice thing about the older S&W's is, they hold their value.

Don

Also, the Model 10 and 19 are still in production along with the 66. And the 67 was also still in production until recently where I see it has been dropped from the website.

Charter Arms 6 shot pathfinders are still being sold. They only converted to 8 shots last year. You can ask the factory to make one or find a new-old-stock online.

The Ruger GP100 with a 6 shot cylinder can still be found. I have one that’s factory double action only!! Mine has a 3” barrel with fixed sights.
GP100Tucker2.jpg

Sorry Aguila...missed the .22 cal. requirement...old age/senility sneaking into the tent. That said, a Smith M-18 is a fine training revolver, a lifetime investment really...it's that good...and can be had, well used, for less than some of the new Smith offerings. I like it over the 'full lug' models for its better balance and lighter weight in the holster. GB has listings, but pawn shops are always a good resource...if you're lucky.
Best Regards, Rod

Sarge83 said:
If you can find an old Colt Detective Special you get the extra round.
Colt made Detective Specials in .22LR with a 7-round capacity?

Sarge, once again -- my friend is looking for a six-shot, double action, .22LR revolver with a swing-out cylinder, for use in teaching pistol permit classes. I don't think a snubnose revolver is a good choice for what is likely to be a person's first ever experience shooting a real gun, and I'm pretty sure my friend would agree.

Just out of curiosity, why does he specifically want a six-shot revolver? While six shots is more traditional for centerfire revolvers, .22's with eight and nine shots are hardly new. If he could get along with a higher capacity revolver, he could probably get a used High Standard, Iver Johnson, or Harrington & Richardson for a very reasonable price and, despite their "entry level" brand names these can actually be quite nice revolvers (the High Standard Sentinels and H&R Sportsmans in particular). Otherwise, he's probably looking at a used S&W or Colt which, due to their collector value, would likely be rather expensive.

kymasabe said:
IF you find a Charter Arms with the thumb spur, can easily be converted to DAO with a DAO hammer, available from Charter Arms, they're about $30 plus shipping and VERY easy to replace.
https://charterfirearms.com/collecti...-action-hammer
He's not looking for DAO -- he wants traditional DA so the students can fire in SA when doing their final live fire exercise.

If it were me, I'd buy a Charter Arms. My friend doesn't like them (even though I don't think he has ever owned one), and it's not worthwhile for me to try to persuade him to change his mind. With my luck, he'd get a lemon and blame it on me.

Back