D&T Remington 1903

I guess I don't understand. Several people with experience, some with much more than I have, have advised spot annealing, which works for both drilling and tapping with standard tools. Yet, some folks have simply ignored that suggestion and keep hoping for some magic drills and taps that will cut through that tough steel Remington used.

Spot annealing (about 1/4 inch diameter) will do no harm, will not weaken the receiver, and any discoloration will be covered by the scope bases. Pardon me, but I don't see the down side.

Jim

i have seen o3,s with grind mark where the tapped holes were and no heat was used. it looked like the reciever was ground with a dremel thru the case hardening and then d&t. the scope bases hid the grind marks. i don,t know which way is best. eastbank.

i have seen o3,s with grind mark where the tapped holes were and no heat was used. it looked like the reciever was ground with a dremel thru the case hardening and then d&t. the scope bases hid the grind marks. i don,t know which way is best. eastbank.
It would be my preferred method.

-TL

Back