Czech VZ24 and/or Swiss K31

'88Scrat

There is a show near me this weekend and I'm going with the intention of picking one of the great milsurp rifles in the title.

What should I be looking for in each? Price? Availability of ammo? Anything I should know about manufacture dates?

Thanks!

The Mauser is basically a blank canvas while the Swiss the end of the road. The K-31 is a good rifle but doesn't have the potential for upgrades of the Mauser.

Both good shooting rifles. I'd look at the bore, etc.. It is actually hard to find a K31 with a bad bore, but common to find the stocks all dented up. Matching numbers are usually common on the K31s with the possible exception of the magazine. K31s with walnut stocks tend to be a little more sought after than the beech stocks. Look for the Swiss crest on the right hand side of the butt stock, and on the receiver. Sanded and refinished stocks decrease the value. Some VZ24s have matching numbered stocks, but that is rare. More common to find VZ24s with mismatched parts.

A VZ24 with an intact lion's crest is hard to find, and increases the value. Second would be a numbered crest, and many have had the crests scrubed. A VZ24 with an intact King Carol crest is basically impossible to find, and would be very valuable.

I've got both rifles, and the K31 is the better shooter. GP11 ammo comes and goes, but there was a recent batch released, and prices have stayed around 50 to 55 cents a round. Many consider GP11 ammo to be match grade, and few re-loaders have managed to better it.

The VZ24 is typically 8 mm, and that is pretty easy to find, but typically more expensive. I usually reload my 8 mm rounds.

Can't go wrong with either. A good deal would be under $400 for either.

Last edited:
It sounds like you intend to keep your selection "as is" and shoot it. As stated above, the Mauser has great potential as the basis for building a custom rifle...or not. Either should be a great shooter. Just check the usual: bore, function, for the Mauser see if the numbers match, make sure there's no pitting under the wood. Don't know about the VZ24s, but some have seen some refurbishments. Not necessarily a bad thing. The K-31 trigger is superior. Ammo for the 8x57 is easier to find. Load your own, and no problem with either one.

the m-31,s are like fine swiss watchs like the german lugers were, but were not the best in the trench warfare of that era. the germans went to the p-38 to replace the luger. i much prefer the 98 mauser action over the 31 swiss action as a reloader its like night and day for me because of the camming power to close the bolt on a bad case and eject a sticky fired case. and the 98 is easier to strip than a 31. case in point,time replacing a fireing pin in a 98 over a 31. for a sport or a target rifle the 31 shines, but a 98 is all that and much more in the real world. and i own and shoot both. eastbank.

Wow great info thanks guys!

Sounds like I can't go wrong either way. What I'm hearing is that anywhere between $300 and $400 is a great deal on either rifle.

This won't be a safe queen, I plan on getting some use out of it. Mostly hedgeapples and paper bunching bragging rights but still...

My only concern is really that 7.5x55 Swiss might be hard to find while 8mm, even if somewhat more expensive, is always readily available.

Keep in mind that 8mm surplus, and GP-11 aren't on the same page when it comes to "paper punching bragging rights". GP-11 is truly match- quality.

Doing any sort of upgrade to a K31 is more complicated than most rifles.
If you don't own one and haven't tried one I recommend you give it a try in stock configuration with GP11. If disappointed I am sure someone will take it off your hands.

I have both the K31 is a better shooter by far. Its is incredibly acurate. The VZ-24 is a good rifle. One of my favorite mausers. I also have several sporters built on the vz-24 action. The K31s seem to be going up in value pretty steady. I dont think the vz-24 has been going up much. Beware some vz-24s are dogs as well. I bought one that was. Now it has been rebarreled to .260 rem.

Keep in mind that 8mm surplus, and GP-11 aren't on the same page when it comes to "paper punching bragging rights". GP-11 is truly match- quality.

GP-11 has also been pretty hard to find for the past couple years. It reappeared in the last couple months, but there is no telling how long it will last, the Swiss aren't making it any more.

The Swiss rifles are generally in pretty good shape, only one country used them, and they were not used in a war.

VZ-24 the condition really varies by rifle. They were sold and used all over the world, and for some the care for the rifles was clearly not a priority. A lot of them were used in South America, and harsh jungle climates did them no favors. If you find a South American rifle, pay very close attention to the metal at the wood line (preferably under the wood, but few sellers are going to allow you to remove the stock to inspect).

The Swiss rifle might have some dinged wood from intense training use (those guys treated them like tools [which they are btw]) and might have some well worn stocks, but the metal is usually great since they took such nice care of them so they'd detain accuracy.

K31 ammo: There's more than GP11.

GP11 is just the surplus fodder, which currently is available. PPU sells 7.5x55 Swiss and many online vendors seem to always have that on hand. I bought 300 rounds of PPU softpoints and use the brass for reloading. In my rifle, the GP11 is fairly accurate, but I have one loading that does better (for my rifle) and I've got a couple more loadings that I'll be trying out in a few weeks. Reloading is easy as it takes any standard .308 bullet.

Also, Hornady and Graf & Sons have custom 7.5x55 ammo (although on the pricey side).

I have had both for 14 years and am surprised everything I could say has been said..... there is a piece of paper under the K-31 butt with a weird name on it.

I've only the vz24. Rommie contract dated 1940. The barrel was counter-bored and shot like a dog. I've since re-barreled it with a nice tight one, after this it has earned my eternal adoration. Respectable accuracy, slick action, and low recoil in the military stock.
I'll buy another should the opportunity present itself. They are a worthy rifle. I've passed on k31's so far because I absolutely don't want another caliber to deal with.

I have a K31 and a couple of Mausers. I really like the way it shoots. For the most part, they were not shot often. How many wars has Switzerland been involved in? I reload for mine, I use .308 168gr Barnes TSX copper bullets and 3031 powder.

Premium 7.5mm hunting ammo such as Hornady 165 gr SP or 150 gr SST is actually a bit cheaper than 8mm, although rarer. I'd definitely expect the K31 to outshoot the CZ, although you can get a variety of custom Mausers or commercial 8mm rifles such as Sako or Rem 700 in 8mm if you want more than one option, and there is a wider variety of ammo choices, including Nosler, Norma, and Laupa.

A VZ24 with an intact lion's crest is hard to find, and increases the value. Second would be a numbered crest, and many have had the crests scrubed. A VZ24 with an intact King Carol crest is basically impossible to find, and would be very valuable.

interesting.. I have a VZ24 with a crest. Gona have to go look when I get home.

Oh I found a image of it on photo bucket. Not great but is that the crest your talking about?

100_8367.jpg

Last edited:
Back