CZ75 opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dont try this at home (at least i dont plan to): a friend, ex uk soldier and knowledgeable generally about guns said of the CZ85 (75) when i told i'd got mine: "Oh, thats the only gun you can fire under water". They are certainly built tough but that had better reamin just a story methinks.
El Chimango Pete
------------------
A 44 beats 4 aces

CZ-75 are quite excelent and utterly unbeatable on price/quality ratio out of the box.

Around here everyone and their dog who are involved in ipsc have used one.. one time or the other, so lots of experience and allmost all of it positive.

It is indeed possible to load 9X19 major and keep on pounding for some time, like 20K rounds or so. That naturally calls for the stiffest recoil spring with one can possibly make the gun work on weak hand only stages.
Good ones can be made by cutting down M-31 Suomi SMG's recoil spring.

Nowadays CZ sells straight single action trigger as well so one doesn't need to install pre- and overtravell screws on the standard jobbie unless so wants.

.40SW modell has heavier slide and long recoil spring guide. The older ones (=9mmParas)can be fitted with one, and good 12.9 grade stainless hexhead bolt is good raw material to start with, with the lathe.
It being whole an other matter that does it need one. ;) but it looks kewl.

And if one doesn't like fiddling with his hardware CZ makes relatively inexpensive race version called CZ-Champion that has all usual thangs as tight fit, hardchrome,1-action trigger, LPA-TRT sights (like Bo-Mar but Italian), yada, yada, yaah.

Yep CZs are good stuff for the money and in generall as well.

Ah I allmost forgot, the ambidextrous slide locklever is useless and weaker than normal one on mod.75 so optimal is a 75 with ambisafety of 85.

And yep, the CZ-frame can easily be modified to take Tanfoglio's (MecGar) 17rnds mags while disactivating the mag brake.

Gattling :)

I own a CZ-75 and I like it very much. It fits my hand perfectly and I can hit anything I desire. However, I have had a few problems. One, it doesn't like low power ammo like range reloads or that cheap Russian 9mm you can get for $5 a box. My brother's P-85 ate it right up but my CZ would double feed every 3 rounds or so. With good Fiochii, Federal, etc loads, it functions flawlessly. Two, my front sight has worked itself loose somehow. It is of the older stake-on type and no local smiths have the proper tool to restake it. Finally, holsters and accesories are damn near impossible to find for them which it mindboggling because they are dimensionally the same as their dozens of clones.

I too own a CZ - the "85". I've found that most holsters designed for a Browning HP or a 1911 will work just fine with a CZ.
I don't use my CZ much anymore but its an accurate and 100% reliable piece.
I prefer .45's but if forced to carry a 9mm I'd be perfectly happy with my CZ (though I'd probably trade it in for a compact).

I noticed that CZ's were going for as low as $225 in the shotgun news not long ago. Thats a real bargain. I think they're better than any other nine out there.

------------------
Keith
The Bears and Bear Maulings Page: members.xoom.com/keithrogan

Guns and Ammo just ran a story on the CZ97 and the CZ100. I have an EAA Witness in .45 with the wonder finish which is also ported. I love the gun. Ergonomics and recoil are excellent. Mine was used and "tuned" prior to my purchase. Not a single malfunction in all the rounds that I fired through it. Infact, its lack of recoil spoiled me. I have access to tons of 40SW ammo, so I bought a Glock 23 to carry. Unfortunately, I began to hate the recoil of the gun. Here I had a .45 with very little recoil, and then this .40 with a lot of recoil. I sold the Glock. Now to my point: In the Guns and Ammo article, they mention that the CZ100 is ported and this reduces the recoil to the point that a 23 oz handgun is not punishing to fire. Anyone have any experience firing a CZ100? Its price, CZ's reputation and its caliber all impress me...

I bought a brand-new EAA Witness in .45 and had nothing but problems. In the first 100 rounds, it stovepiped 12 times. Rounds jammed straight into the ramp 6 times. Slide locked back with rounds still in the chamber 2 or 3 times per mag. Also, the slide stop would drop and the hammer come down when I loaded a mag. I almost shot myself. Its a good thing I had it pointed downrange. The slide was locked back, I put a mag in, the slide goes forward and the hammer follows. BOOM! Scared the hell out of me. All this from a brand new pistol, right out of the box. To make it even worse, I call up EAA to get it serviced per the lifetime warranty, and the gunsmith basically tells me I'm and idiot who is probably causing the malfunctions because I'm not shooting it right, and if I really want to wasted their time sending them the pistol, it will probably take a couple months to take care of it. Sorry for the rant. It was the most comfortable and most natural pointer out of all the pistols I compared it to, however, and was the lowest recoling .45 Ive ever shot.

Ryan,

I have to ask - why would you buy a Witness in the first place? I can understand buying say, a Yugo copy of the Walther PPK because it costs only 1/3 of the cost of a real Walther.
But the Witness actually costs more than a genuine CZ and it has none of the handfitting or reputation of the original...why?

------------------
Keith
The Bears and Bear Maulings Page: members.xoom.com/keithrogan

I had a TZ-75 - which was the same thing. High Cap 9mm. It had a smooth trigger, good sights, Goog reliability untill I fed it some half baked hand loads - it did not like those... But over all was a fine gun.

------------------
Every man Dies.
Not Every Man Truely Lives...

FREEDOM!

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

Well, in my area the CZ actually costs more than the witness does. I would have paid $80 more for a CZ. Also, I wanted a .45, and CZ doesnt make an 11 round, double action .45.
The Witness actually fit my hand better than the CZ did, and had the lowest recoil of any .45 Ive ever shot. If the thing had actually WORKED, it would have been a very fun pistol.

------------------
"Quemadmoeum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."
(The sword does not kill; it is a tool in the hands of the killer.)

I bought the EAA Witness because it was cheap, and I had the opportunity to fire the gun many, many times before deciding to purchase it. I've heard that many people have had problems with their Witnesses, but mine was owned by a gunsmith who polished the ramp and smoothed all the rough spots off. I've owned a Sig (P220), multiple Glocks, Gold Cup, many S&Ws, Rugers, etc. The EAA Witness is my favorite! Shoots great, no jams, very little recoil is ergonomically wonderful and if I ever go boating and forget the anchor, I can use the gun! Better yet, it was CHEAP!

Greetings, sir. I got my first CZ75 13 years ago and have been shooting both it and others I've accumulated ever since! Back when I got mine, they were expensive and the "deal" I got was good for the time, but you can get them now for much less than half of what I initially paid for my first two. Next to the Browning Hi Power, these are my favorite 9mm handguns. Mine have proven both accurate and reliable and able to be used much, much, much. The current CZs come with improved sights and hammers over mine. I think you'll enjoy the CZ 75. Best.

Have a CZ-75B and TZ-75. Buy it. I wouldn't pay more than $325 for a slightly used one. (New ones around here are $350-$375.)

- Ron V.

------------------

CZ does make a .45 ACP-chambered gun: the CZ-97. Of course, it costs $500. But, I gather it is much more reliable than the Witness .45 ACPs. It does use the Witness .45 ACP 10-round magazine, however.

Skorzeny

------------------
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the supreme excellence. Sun Tzu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back