CZ527m + Leupold = bad!

Yes its a lefty .223 and the rings are leupold 527 style rings. Thanx for the compliments on the wood!:rolleyes:

scopes

That IS a nicel looking CZ. And the Burris has that Euro look that's appropriate as well.

Re Leupold. One hears these stories now and again, but it has not been my experience. I've got 8, a mix of Vari-X or Vari-X-II or FX models, acquired over 20 yrears or so, and never a problem. I hunt and shoot as much or more as the next guy. I've returned 2-3 for reticle changes (not repair!) and the work was done quick and the scope back in my hands pronto. My commo with Leupold, by phone or online was always positive.

I've told this before, but once more. A friend suffered a bad house fire (and more). All his scopes........but the Leupolds, were toast. The Leu's had cosmetic issues, but the story goes, you could hunt and shoot them if you wanted.

Fan here.

I also own 4 Leupold scopes that I've never had an issue with, the oldest one bought over 20 years ago. 2 of these scopes are 2-7x33, a VX-I & VX-II, mounted on a 452CZ .22 & 550CZ .375 H&H respectively.
CZ + Leupold = good in my experience

Perhaps it's just a sign of the times. The last time I bought something and thought "Holy 5hit, these guys made a quality product was... I dunno..."
Appears like all the older things were made better.

I may just get another ProStaff and put that on there eventually. My eyes while I need readers are doing alright so far so the peep is fun. Perhaps I'll drill and tap for a WRGS... looks like the height needed is about right.
-SS-

So I finally got around to drilling and tapping the receiver to help the JB weld hold the sight on. I honestly don't think it would have come off but I wanted a guarantee. I have no drill press and used an Irwin drill and three flute tap for 4-40 in a hand held electric drill !!!going slow!!!. I used regular gun oil as a tap cutting fluid and it all went to plan. I used a tapered tap to thread most of it and when I got to my depth, I ground the taper off the tap and bottomed it out. There were a few moments when it got tight and I thought I'd blown it but it came loose and was fine. A $3.00 tap and $2.00 bit. I was apprehensive about trying it myself but it was easy so long as I went very slow... about an eighth of a turn before reversing and removing the tap to clean out the hole frequently with a shop vac. I'm feeling like I could drill and tap the same for a Williams or similar. The receiver is very think on that back strap. I buried a .375" long bolt and I did not burst through. Also remember the peep I made was actually JB'd in place and I drilled and tapped right through it in place... so it's also bedded now. Just thought I'd share.

Confidence to anyone who is having a hard time finding a rear peep for the CZ527. And wants to try this themselves.
-SS-

Last edited:
Back