CZ Pistols Questions

dgludwig

Other than the CZ Shadow 2 being DA/SA and the CZ TS 2 being SAO, are there any other significant differences between these two models? Is there a big price spread? And, finally, how does the CZ TacSport compare?
Thanks.

TS has a thumb brake (place for your forward thumb resting).

TS has a way big mag release. You probably couldn't carry it because of this with the extended competition mag release.

TS SA is way lighter than SA in Shadow 2.

While I have not handled or shot a TS2 I know they have different frames. I have a Tac sport Orange which uses the same frame as the czechmate and has a magwell. It’s also available in 40 S&W.
I also have a Shadow 2 Orange which is hand fitted version of the shadow 2. I can shoot tighter groups with the S2O.
The main difference is the trigger but you can get a Shadow 2 with a single action trigger also.

Jim

Last edited:
CZ claims the TS2 has a different frame than the Shadow to reduce recoil. How or if this is true? I don't know...

Flat trigger on TS2 as well.

Correct away, but until then, I am going to run a bunch of probably easily fact checked junk. :)

From what I gather:
Tanfoglio copied the CZ but improved it. Tanfoglios don't break slide release levers like the CZs. They did decades ago break frames. Way since corrected. Frames don't crack now, anything about that hasn't appeared on current guns. CZ does break slide releases and comes with multiples. Meh. But also...why is that an okay thing?

CZ copied the Tanfoglio when they made the SP-01 then Shadow, Shadow 2 which are guns made for games where people pretend these guns are carried by people and the game is to pretend you race gun is a normal gun. The CZ copy of the Tanfoglio is the Stock I, II, III, Hunter, Elite, billion other names. The most recent version is the current IFG (importer) Tanfoglio Defiant Stock Master. DA/SA. https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/tf-stockm-9

The Tactical Sport is a Single Action only game gun for Limited. Problem of the TS is it runs features against other SA guns (1911s, 2011s). CZ copied the SA Tanfoglios here. Do you spend custom 1911 dollars for TS? I don't know. I imagine the SA versions of the Shadow and the TS has less people going to purchase used. Current is the Limited Defiant frame.
https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/tf-limmstr-9sf
https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/8051770130093

I think the Brian Enos race gun forum makes compelling arguments that the Stocks/Masters are as good if not better than the CZs while being A LOT cheaper with better finishes (hard chrome pretty much doesn't wear off). The lot cheaper is a half when you look at the limted vs the Shadow SA or the TS. You can do a lot with 800 dollars.

The Tanfoglios in my eye look a lot prettier. I imagine the CZs are enjoying their just this week $100 or more increase across the board because everyone thinks of the Shadows as pretty much the only X5 options now and just gobbles them up.

To me, the AO1, Shadow 2, TS all are basically the same frame as the SP-01 and I bought one of those for $600 a few years ago. Is the Shadow worth the upgrades? Probably. Is the Accu Shadow? Is the Orange? Yikes. Just make it good the first time around?

Last edited:
Finally, the CZ Shadow has a lot going on. But it also has a large price tag.

I've wanted to pick one up, but my internet read hype vs reality of owning the SP-01 Tactical has me paused. My SP-01 Tactical just wasn't all that amazing in any measure.

Here is the first good review I've read of the Shadow. It isn't exactly glowing either:

https://harrysholsters.com/cz-shadow-2-review/

At very least, I appreciate an authority pointing out that CZ actually has an VERY high bore axis and people are confusing how that is measured vs the CZ internal rails. Bore axis isn't a measure of possible accuracy, it's possible muzzle flip.

Last edited:
Hmm, I'll have to lay my old Czech up alongside other automatics to see how they compare on bore axis.

Muzzle flip is considerably reduced by the heavy front ends of the more recent models.
A three pound 9mm isn't going to move around much in any direction.

Agreed. The weight of it is reducing the muzzle flip for sure.

Since the center of the bore is high on an internal railed CZ, and of course it is because it's a hammer fired gun where striker fire slides don't have to be as tall), the famed CZ low bore axis talk is all wrong.

Not fighting that fight, but I think it proves the semi critical review by Harry's is probably more accurate than most.

Here is the first good review I've read of the Shadow. It isn't exactly glowing either:

https://harrysholsters.com/cz-shadow-2-review/

Your determination of the quality of the review seems based on whether or not it agrees with you. Confirmation bias is a problem for most of us, myself included. You yourself haven’t owned the pistol in question, merely pistols from the same line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the Shadow 2 in blue DA/SA. The SAO was available at the time. Nice trigger, but I was picking up the Shadow for competition. Had tons of fun with it right before Covid and now ammo shortage. I’ve seen far more great reviews than the other. Didn’t get the Orange, because I couldn’t stay in the production class. Didn’t really want to pay the extra since I figured I’d do some customizations of my own anyway where allowed. Prior to this, I was competing in the same class with a Glock 19. No one in my group was competing with a G19 and would scoff at the thought, but I mostly handed it to them. I guess I’m just not as refined as I should be. It was just fun being out blasting with what I had. Shadow 2 was a major upgrade.

The trigger on the Shadow 2 is already plenty nice, but even without a firing pin block, it’s only as nice as a P-01 Omega I built with CGW concealed carry trigger upgrade. Can’t tell any difference between the two and the P-01 has a firing pin block. I can only imagine how much nicer than the Gold the trigger would be with a CGW upgrade. The grip is fine, but I figured I’d eventually change it to something else when I decided what it was to be. Another reason I didn’t want the Orange. I’d just be throwing parts I paid for away….not that it wouldn’t be the same with the blue.

Tangfolios are super nice too. Parts are a bit more limited. A friend has one, so I’ve shot them side by side. His Tangfolio is nicer, but it’s a highly upgraded SA gun. He paid way more than I did, so one would expect nicer hardware. The two feel almost identical in the hand.

I just may get a TSO if ammo ever frees up again. There’s plenty of room for another CZ…and another…and another…

Other than interest, it does seem like the Tanfoglios are the better buy on paper and cost a lot less.

It's comments like the aoove that make me think my bias against the Shadow is more reality than hype. Even Cajun Works has "upgrades" for the Orange, a 1,800 dollar gun. That's bonkers.

I might still get a Shadow, but only because I'm not sure I could sell a Tanfoglio if I got tired of it.

That review makes a good point that you shouldn't carry the Shadow, the fella above also mentions lack of firing pin block. Shadow owners are cheating the "production" spirit of reality :)

It's comments like the aoove that make me think my bias against the Shadow is more reality than hype. Even Cajun Works has "upgrades" for the Orange, a 1,800 dollar gun. That's bonkers.

I agree to an extent. That said you can buy replacement parts for 1911s that some will consider better and some 1911s cost well north of $1800. There’s always someone willing to sell a part for an eager buyer. Is that part actually needed? That can be fairly subjective.

For that matter I’m not sure if a replacement part for a $1800 pistol is any more illogical than a replacement part for a $500 pistol. In the case of the latter the upgrades are a greater percentage of the overall value than in the former. Put another way, if you’re willing to spend $1800 is another $200 in parts really going to break the bank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think we agree.

The Shadow 2 and TS2 went up across gun.deals 100 plus this weekend. I was looking at one. This kinda annoys me more than usually on CZ.

It just gals me that the differences between the SP-01, Shadow 2, Accu Shadow, Bull, Orange, TS Orange, TS2, and an AO1...same frame...yet 1,400 difference between low and high.

Yet, they sell. So what do I know. :)

I laid my CZ 75 over and beside several other autos, aligning blackstrap, frontstrap and trigger as well as I could.

Glock 17 was a bit lower as best I could tell with the difffering grip angles. P220 was a good deal higher, but those guns have been criticized for a high bore axis for a long time.

S&W Plastic M&P, 1911, and P210 were too close to tell without instruments.

Thanks everyone for the helpful responses. I've got a couple of CZ pistols that I really like for more practical reasons (an 85B and a 75D Compact) and have no good reason to get a CZ "tactical/game" pistol-except for the "cool" factor. The prices on these pistols, however, are cooling my heels. Maybe I should be looking at an equivalent Tanfoglio pistol, as wild cat mccane suggests. :confused:

Other than interest, it does seem like the Tanfoglios are the better buy on paper and cost a lot less.

I might still get a Shadow, but only because I'm not sure I could sell a Tanfoglio if I got tired of it.

That review makes a good point that you shouldn't carry the Shadow, the fella above also mentions lack of firing pin block. Shadow owners are cheating the "production" spirit of reality :)
Well, it they are production pistols. Not unlike a G19, or a Sig 229. Not exactly cheating.

Tanfoglio are less known. They are cheaper by A LOT. There are custom shops for Tanfoglio like Cajun Works for CZ (example: https://www.henningshop.com)

There is a $800 Limited Tanfoglio that matches the features of a CZ Tactical Sport. That's crazy. https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/051770130093

Know Tanfoglio has Large frame and Small frame. Large frame Defiant frames fit all calibers up to 10mm, the Small only 9mm. The difference is not significant. Brian Enos forum says they are equivalent to the Shadow. The mags are different between SF and LG. I would search out the SF.

I personally think the Tanfoglios should be the go to buy for price, features, coating (hard chrome). Working with IFG vs EAA is up in the air. EAA wasn't good, IFG seems to be better already by offering more. IFG isn't going to overlap EAA imports. If there is something you don't like, the price difference gets you custom parts while still being below the CZ price. And again, there are so "variants" of the CZ that are just upgrades, not feature changes, you might want better and $$$ parts in the CZ.

You probably aren't going to break parts on the Tanfoglio Masters. The Shadow, TS, and others come with extra take down slide releases that will break.

I personally am looking at the IFG guns for my next purchase. Brian Enos forum makes a great point that the cost difference is too significant vs what you get.

Last edited:
Back