CZ-527 Varmint or Tikka T3x Varmint .223

Looking for heavy barreled .223 varmint rifle for target gun. Range I use most often goes to 300 yards max. I like the cz with that short mini action but I am a little concerned about the lack of mass behind the bolt in the event of an over pressure situation. The 1:9 twist is fast enough for my needs. The tikka has a very smooth action and a 1:8 twist with accuracy guarantee of 1 MOA @100 yards. That's a 1 MOA with five round group with factory loads. Difference in price between the two, about $150.00 with the tikka the more expensive of the two.CZ comes with 5year warranty while you get 2 years with tikka. I am looking for opinions/ insights concerning these two rifles. Please advise.

I have a Tikka T3 lite in 223 that I changed the stock on to a boyds thumbhole, I was out shooting it the other day and as usual I got a 3 shot group 3/8" @ 100 yds, I have had the rifle for over
3 years, no issues what so ever...Cant give my opinion on the cz..never even held one..got questions on the tikka, feel free to ask..btw..mine is a 1-10 twist..

I have a CZ 452 Varmint in 22 lr. If their 223 is as good as my 22 I wouldn't hesitate. Never had a rifle so accurate ,10 shot groups could be covered with a dime. Only heard good things about CZ. Have you looked at the 6.5 Creedmoor?

I've shot several tikkas, extremely smooth and extremely accurate. I think you'd be very happy with one. I just ordered one for myself, the new T3X CTR in 6.5 creed. Can't wait! I wouldn't worry much about the warranty in a bolt gun. 2 years is more than enough time to make sure everything's working as it should. Just don't get ridiculously hot with your reloads and you shouldn't have any problems.

You won't be disappointed with the tikka

I have one but have recently bought a 527 aswell

purely for esthetic reasons but i do hope it shoots well (stupid laws makes me wait for a license)
My tikka is all tacticooled out but for a purpose, I use it semi-professionally, I wanted something purer for my regular hunting, and to potentially hand down.

I hear good things about the new HOWA to, but that was never an option for me as I am a LH shooter.

I have the 527 Varmint .223 REM with 1:9 twist. With five different shooters one day there was always a group of 1 MOA. Yes we had fliers, but the rifle is impressive.

My brother quickly loaded up some 55 gr AMAX bullets, so no load development what so ever, and we got 0.375" at 100.

I am sure the Tikka is just fine, but the CZ is fine too. Also, the CZ is fine with 5.56 NATO ammunition, it is posted on the CZ website. Matter of fact we got 1 MOA with PMC XTAC 62 grain "green tip".

68grain.png

62grain.png

CZ527_HANDLOADS.png

cz-527 varmint vs tikka varmint .223

NHshooter:

How many rounds can you put through barrel before heating up and groups opening up?
Also how do you like the boyd's thumbhole stock? Reason I ask is that cz-527 varmint does come with thumbhole stock on some models. For the cz owners: did you have any issues mounting scope for proper eye relief and bolt throw?

I used CZ Rings. I tried the Picatinny rail and it was to high for my liking. I then ordered the CZ rings.

The score is a Luepold VX-R:
https://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/scopes/vx-r-riflescopes/vx-r-4-12x40mm/

I chose the Balistic Fire Dot reticle.

And I would like to throw in a comment about CZ Customer service. I got this rifle and scope and was setting it up to fly home to Kentucky so my brother, cousins, Dad, and uncles could all take turns shooting it. I only had a few days before the flight. I was told at the store where I bought the scope to torque the screws to 30 inch pounds. Since this was my first scope I trusted the advice. I bought a yellow torque wrench and went home. Well, I starting thinking at 25 it seemed mighty tight. Approaching 30 and the heads pop off. I email CZ and tell them my story. Zach sent me a bag full of screws that arrived before my flight and we mounted the scope in Ky. I have since met Zach twice at NRA conventions and have thanked him each time. He didn't have to send me those screws, I busted them. He didn't have to do it in a hurry, but he did.

This is my email from Zach:
15 in/lbs is the spec for the top screw, with 50 in/lb for the side screw that holds the ring to the action.

They’re going out in the mail today. Thanks!

Zach Hein

As for bolt throw, I ordered the modified bolt handle, which from my understanding is now standard on all models.

https://shop.cz-usa.com/productdetail/40110_bolt-handle-527-new-style

My barrel was not free floating about 8 inches from the receiver, it was touching on one side. My brother showed me how to do the job. We took the stock off, found a socket in the tool box that matched the size we wanted (It was a spark plug socket) wrapped it in sand paper and removed some material. Then I bought some wood sealant and painted it several times.

I have one thought about the OP's concern about there not being enough mass behind the chamber. If there isn't enough mass behind the chamber of the CZ, then there isn't enough mass around the chamber of the Tikka.

The Tikka is really a clever design. The first Tikka I ever handled was at Scheel's in Billings. My first impression was that it could be a stamping. The bar stock receiver appears thin to me comparatively. I'm not trying to suggest that it's not as strong as any other comparable rifle. It would have to be to be sold twice.

By comparatively I mean that I own, right now just three rifles. A Weatherby MK V, 340WBY, Vanguard 300wby, and a Cooper MDL22 6.5-284. These all heavier designs.

I wish I was young and tech savvy and could post a link. There is on Youtube on a video called burst test. I saw this years ago with out the music and with the data. A 180 gr bullet is lodged 8" into the barrel. A 300WM is chambered and fired. The rifles tested were from A to Z. Blasers to Vanguards. The results were interesting. Three failed, two catastrophically.
Anyone firing the two that failed the worst would have been maimed or killed.

I think you will happy with either the CZ or the Tikka. I think it would be hard to go wrong with almost any rifle on the market today. They all more accurate and lighter than anything available 40 years ago when I started shooting and reloading for magnum centerfire.

I like them both, but I would get the CZ. It's more old fashioned, like me.

Last edited:
Charlie/Bravo I have to say, unless its really hot I dont have any issues shooting up to 10 rds without heating up. I love the thumbhole stock, The tikka comes free floated with the factory stock and its free floated with the boyds so there were no issues. I will also say, I got the first boyds stock ever made for the Tikka T3 lite since they used my rifle as a pattern..

I have the T3 Lite and can confirm what NHSHOOTER has said down to the twist.

My rifle loves the 50 grain VMax by Fiocchi and also my reloads with the same bullets. 1/2 moa is the rule rather than the exception at 100 yards.

A $10 spring brought the trigger pull down to 12 ounces. It's a joy to shoot. And I still have the plastic stock on it. It's my best shooting rifle by far.

I have two Tikka based target rifles 595 and 695 that are quite accurate. Sold a couple others I never really shot or studied. No experience with the newer, lighter T 3. Also own a couple of CZ's 555 and 527. They are beautiful, well made and accurate rifles. My 527 is an older, second hand model. 12 twist. The action is really rough. I hate that part. A friend bought the varmint a few years ago and broke something on the magazine twice but it had no feeding issues like mine. Supposedly this action was adapted from the original 22 Hornet gun so popular in Europe. So there were and maybe are problems inherent. You will be happier and better off with the Tikka. Slicker action. Faster lock time. After market parts like Barnard triggers were available as well, a high priced improvement you won't likely want or need. CZ's are prettier and more traditional. They make superb hunting rifles, although not as nicely finished anymore. If I ever get around to selling my heavy target guns I might get a T3 223 myself. Beretta may have actually improved the design. They were way too heavy.

Thank you turtlehead, after seeing your post I googled it and found the website, ordered one..I will let you know how it works, if it makes me shoot better I will be shooting 5 shot 1 hole groups..."just kidding"

You're in for a treat.

Someone here recommended the Fiocchi Extrema 50 gr VMax and it's outstanding. I've managed to duplicate it with my reloads using Varget powder and Lake City brass.

What a fun rifle. :)

In 2010, I bought a CZ 527 .223 Varmint 1:9 twist with the original HS Precision stock and have been shooting it regularly ever since.

It shoots really accurately, especially with target bullets of 52 & 53 grains.
The data below is for 100 yards for 1296 groups using a Sinclair F-class bipod and a Protektor rear bag with a range of loads. The 5 most accurate loads for the 52-53 grain bullets fall between 3075 and 3122 fps at the muzzle with Vihta Vuori N133 powder. The top 10 loads all use VV N133 powder and 19 of the top 25 used VV N133. 3 used CFE .223, two used H4895 and 1 used VV N130.

Avg-------------Bullet -----------------------------# Groups
0.399 ---Average Nosler Bal Tip 40 gr ---------------159
0.383 ---Average Berger # 22408 52 gr FB----------347
0.395 ---Average Sierra # 1410 SMK 52 gr HPBT----371
0.358 ---Average Sierra #1400 SMK 53 gr FB--------218
0.467 ---Average Berger # 22410 55 gr FB----------176
0.499 ---Average Sierra #1380 SMK 69 gr HPBT------27

The average for 2004 groups I have measured at 100 yards with bullets from
35 to 75 grains is 0.460.
The best 25 loads averaged 0.212 for 106 groups, 24 with the 52 and 53 grain bullets and one with the 40 grain Nosler BT.

I changed from the CZ rings to Burris Signature Z Rings after about 2 years because the flat blade screw tops holding the bottom of the mounts were getting messed up. I prefer plastic inserts around the scope tube on the Z rings and the Burris bottom mount screws allow use an Allen wench tip on my torque wrench and don't get marred.

Pretty hard to go wrong with either rifle. Someday I will have a 527 in 7.62x39.

I have the Signature rings on a 455. Good stuff!

Back