CZ 527 Carbine

I've had the x39 for about 13 years, fantastic iron sight gun. I bought it's 223 twin last year and frankly with a Vortex 2x7 it has been a lot more versatile.

The newer 223 carbines have a lower bolt handle and 1:9" twist, definite improvement from previous models. I will also point out a picatinny rail is available for these if you'd rather use standard mounting options.

The 527 is an amazing gun. I'd highly recommend it for your purposes. As long as you're not expecting 1/4" groups at 300 yards, you won't be disappointed.

I put a few rounds through my 527 carbine just the other night. Like the others are saying, the whole reason I got this gun is because it's so small, light, and handy. It's basically the same size/weight as a Ruger 10/22, but packs a lot more punch. If ya made the receiver big enough to take a double stack mag or .308 length rounds, it would defeat the entire purpose.

Likewise, if ya go with full sized the American Rifle, it's more like the same size as every other bolt gun out there. On the one hand I can certainly understand your point about keeping ammo inventory simple. But I were getting a bigger gun, I'd want it to shoot a bigger round.

I got a case of GECO brass cased ammo for mine last fall, for around 32 cents per shot, as I recall- it was basically the same price as brass cased .223. It all seems to be sold out now though. It strings vertically in my gun a bit, but half the reason I bought it was for the brass, for working up hand loads. I'd also like to make up some very light loads with cast lead .32 pistol bullets, and take it squirrel hunting.

I'm still shooting iron sights for now, but have been eyeing some of the compact 2-7x32 scopes on the market.

CZ made the 527 so it will shoot steel cases ammo very well. You will be surprised at just how well it will shoot the cheap surplus ammo. You should give it a try.

I'm not saying to give up on the brass cases ammo. I have both brass and steel I shoot out of mine and powder, primers, and dies, for reloading.

The one I just bought recently shoots Tula 122gr FMJ at 2.5" at 100 yards. Pretty happy with that considering the price and considering it's just range ammo.

Model12Win said:
The rifle would be more interesting if it could accept AK mags or SKS 10-round stripper clips.
Well, a VERY talented gunsmith buddy of mine tackled that issue and he discovered tat there is no way for the wide body AK magazine to work at all in the micro Mauser action. Not happening. Indeed, to weld his proprietary one of of CZ 527 ten round magazine he had to use rings on the outside as the metal is thinner than thin to fit in the magwell with ammo. He is reputedly working on a 20 round purpose built magazine, but he has many projects going at once. As for stripper clips, the guides would have to be in the receiver, but that would be interesting...if the factory magazines were ten rounds.
I like the fact that it does have detachable magazines and I own a few.

Last edited:
I think a 10 round mag could be interesting, but I don't think you could make them work with stripper clips. Since they're not double stacked, there's no way you can just press rounds straight down in from the top. You have to slide each round back into the feed lips, more like a single stack pistol mag.

Since spare mags are so expensive, I only got one extra, just so I'd have a backup in case of loss more than anything. But I do use 5 and 10 round stripper clips just to keep extra ammo organized in my pockets. Having the rounds held flat is a lot more comfortable in the pocket than a big jumble of loose rounds.

So I honestly have never purchased a scope. Can you guys recommend a good place to learn about them and help me pick a good one for this gun? Im guessing I would want something relatively low powered given the round in question.

So I honestly have never purchased a scope. Can you guys recommend a good place to learn about them and help me pick a good one for this gun? Im guessing I would want something relatively low powered given the round in question.

Anything 2-7x33 would be fine. You don't need to spend a ton of money for a pretty good scope. $200 max I'd say.

Back