CZ 527 Carbine

darkslash

Hey!

So I am in the market for a bolt gun that I can mount a scope to for use at the range. I currently own a 10/22 with iron sights, and an SKS with iron sights. I know I want my new gun to have a scope and be bolt action, but my decision on caliber has been difficult. I also know that I do not want to add a scope to my 10/22.

Since I have an SKS, and will be purchasing an AK soon... I have a lot of 7.62x39 lying around. I tend to buy it in bulk when I can, and I like to avoid having to take a bunch of different calibers to the range. This is what led me to the CZ 527. Its the only bolt gun I could find in 7.62x39 that seemed like a good choice.

Now my question is, does it make sense to go with this gun solely because I wanted to stick with this caliber? Are there much better options out there if I am willing to get into a new caliber? I must admit that the round is the only real thing that made me consider this gun, and Im not sure its a good reason. Dont get me wrong, I love the way the gun looks and I have heard great things about CZ... but if not for the bullet.. I would have likely never come across this as an option

What are you going to use it for?

How can you ask us if there is a better choice for you when we have no idea what you're going to do with the gun? :confused:

FWIW, the CZ-527 is a great rifle but is limited by the 7.62x39mm cartridge. It is not a long range round.

Model12Win said:
What are you going to use it for?

Well I mentioned it was for range use in my post. As for distance... Im not totally sure. Definitely longer distance than I shoot my 10/22. Since I only have iron sights on my guns I rarely shoot beyond 50 yards just because its tough to see.

Since I want to mount a scope Im thinking between 100 - 250 yards.

So you say "range use" but what do you mean? Informal target shooting? Serious bench resting?

What do you hope to achieve with this gun? They generally group well even with cheap steel cased ammo if that's what you're wondering, much better than an SKS or AK. But you'll still struggle to get sub MOA groups with it on a consistent basis unless you're a reloader or buy one of the few available 7.62x39mm match loads on the market.

For deer, it'll do out to 150-200 yards with a good bullet. Beyond that and the trajectory starts to plummet and you'd be much better off with a .308 or .30-06.

Well I guess a mix of both. I tend to shoot resting as well as standing.. really just depends on my mood. Almost all of my shooting is informal for the most part.

Im really looking to use it as an intro into shooting with a scope. I consider my 10/22 with tech sights to be my ultimate training rifle. Its cheap and simple and I can use it with a sling to perfect my iron sight marksmanship.

Now Im simply looking for a longer range gun with a scope that I can use for a similar purpose. And again, I only chose the 7.62 because I tend to buy a ton of it for my SKS since I shoot that gun all the time. I currently own 3 guns in 3 different calibers (12 GA, 22LR, 7.62x39) and Im not sure I want to get into a 4th caliber so quickly

CZ

If you do get the CZ 527 in 7.62 x 39.....you will find that your sks is really not that accurate....the CZ 527 will spoil you with its single set trigger..

If you buy the 527 in 7.62 x 39 specifically to scope it, don't get the model with the irons. I personally love the irons on the 527 and that's why I got it, but subsequent attempts to scope the gun were never successful for me because of the euro-stock and bolt handle clearance. I eventually gave up on the scope and enjoyed it just with the irons. With the irons it would do about 2" @ 100 yards, and took forever to get it sighted in. With the scope it would not shoot much better.

If you're looking at using a scope for sure I would recommend going up a bit in caliber and go for a .308 M700 SPS or similar. It would work out a bit cheaper and most are great out to 200 yards, even with the factory stock. And down the road, the aftermarket for better stocks/triggers etc is immense...

The 7.62 x 39 is a great round. The .308 is in another league. A better one.

Sweet Shooter said:
If you buy the 527 in 7.62 x 39 specifically to scope it, don't get the model with the irons. I personally love the irons on the 527 and that's why I got it, but subsequent attempts to scope the gun were never successful for me because of the euro-stock and bolt handle clearance. I eventually gave up on the scope and enjoyed it just with the irons. With the irons it would do about 2" @ 100 yards, and took forever to get it sighted in. With the scope it would not shoot much better.

If you're looking at using a scope for sure I would recommend going up a bit in caliber and go for a .308 M700 SPS or similar. It would work out a bit cheaper and most are great out to 200 yards, even with the factory stock. And down the road, the aftermarket for better stocks/triggers etc is immense...

The 7.62 x 39 is a great round. The .308 is in another league. A better one.

Great info!

So firstly, I wasnt aware that they made the 7.62 chambered one without sights. If so I will definitely go for that as I know for sure I want a scope on this gun. Scope and bolt are basically my main criteria. Also, you shoot 100 yards with irons?! Maybe I just have horrible vision, but I can barely get a good read on a target at 50 yards with irons. Maybe I am using the wrong targets?? Anyway that for another topic :)

Regarding .308 vs 7.62.. I was always under the impression that they were very similar.. is that not the case? I thought they were analogous to .223 and 5.56.

I clearly have a lot to learn

Great info!

So firstly, I wasnt aware that they made the 7.62 chambered one without sights. If so I will definitely go for that as I know for sure I want a scope on this gun. Scope and bolt are basically my main criteria. Also, you shoot 100 yards with irons?! Maybe I just have horrible vision, but I can barely get a good read on a target at 50 yards with irons. Maybe I am using the wrong targets?? Anyway that for another topic

Regarding .308 vs 7.62.. I was always under the impression that they were very similar.. is that not the case? I thought they were analogous to .223 and 5.56.

I clearly have a lot to learn

You're confusing your 7.62's. 7.62 x 39 falls drastically short of .308 potentials. 7.62 x 51 (NATO) is almost the same round as .308 Win but loaded slightly under SAAMI .308 Win specs for pressure.

And yes... to shoot irons at 100 takes a particular type of target. When I turned 40-something, my vision changed like someone threw a switch. That was a long time ago. Apertures work well with older eyes.

You're confusing your 7.62's. 7.62 x 39 falls drastically short of .308 potentials. 7.62 x 51 (NATO) is almost the same round as .308 Win but loaded slightly under SAAMI .308 Win specs for pressure.

And yes... to shoot irons at 100 takes a particular type of target. When I turned 40-something, my vision changed like someone threw a switch. That was a long time ago. Apertures work well with older eyes.

Ahh yes, I was confusing the 7.62 variants :) Thanks!

And yeah at 50 yards Ive been using targets that claim to be made for 100yard shooting. They have a bright yellow center and I still feel like I guessing when I shoot my 10/22 and SKS. I can see the center... but I feel like I just cant focus and see it so well.

Well I think thats what throws me off. The target being fuzzy at that distance causes the bullseye and the surrounding rings to blend so much. I feel like Im not really sure if I am lining it up correctly.

Then again, thats probably where experience comes in.

As for as the 7.62x39 WITHOUT iron sights, that would be the 527 American. I have not seen many on the market in the US so far. They just came out with that model this year, so they are just now starting to trickle in to the US market.

Also, what you gain by going with the 7.62x39 Carbine model with iron sights is a shorter overall length gun and lighter, "handy-er" gun. Great for hunting woods and also for introducing young and small-framed shooters due to its light weight and short overall length. The American model without the iron sights will be heavier and longer overall due to it's longer barrel. Not that it will be overly long, just not handy carbine length like the model that does have iron sights.

If you are not a reloader, then 7.62x39 and .223 are going to be the most economical calibers for you to buy. $0.22/round for the cheap steel-cased stuff. Another bonus that the CZ has going for it is that it was designed to shoot the steel-cased stuff. And now Hornday is making a steel-cased factory round with their SST bullet that many are reporting to show accuracy so good that they don't even bother with reloading. If you don't reload, then you are certainly on the right track by picking another 7.62x39 rifle, especially if you already have ammo stocked up for other guns.

Last edited:
I had no trouble scoping my 527 carbine in 7.62x39.
I did not use the CZ rings, instead I bought a scope base from DIProducts and then used conventional weaver/picatinny style rings. No issues with bolt clearance at all. This is the way I recommend mounting a scope on a 527.

Mine wears a Leupold VX.R 1.25-4x scope and shoots around 1 inch groups at 100 yards. Could probably do better with a little more magnification, but that defeats the purpose of this rifle being short and handy in the woods for deer and hogs.

https://www.diproductsinc.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=1133585&CAT=4268

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info! I think I may have decided on this then... I really like the 7.62 round and its really nice being able to buy big boxes of 1000 @ $.20/rd (thats cheaper than some of the high-end .22LR Ive purchased in the past :)

I would like more info on scoping the iron sight version though... since it seems like the sight-less one is not readily available. Im going to start looking into different scope options and which will mount easiest.

The other question is.... is it worth looking for a used one? I imagine that the 527 in 7.62 is not one of their most popular rifles.. especially in the US considering how popular the .223 is here. Im wondering if I would even find used ones that even made sense to buy (basically if I would even be saving much money over a new one)

Thanks for all the info! I think I may have decided on this then... I really like the 7.62 round and its really nice being able to buy big boxes of 1000 @ $.20/rd (thats cheaper than some of the high-end .22LR Ive purchased in the past :)

I would like more info on scoping the iron sight version though... since it seems like the sight-less one is not readily available. Im going to start looking into different scope options and which will mount easiest.

The other question is.... is it worth looking for a used one? I imagine that the 527 in 7.62 is not one of their most popular rifles.. especially in the US considering how popular the .223 is here. Im wondering if I would even find used ones that even made sense to buy (basically if I would even be saving much money over a new one)

They are very popular, but they don't import a huge amount to the US market. They come up for sale used, but most people tend to hang on to them.

You will need to buy rings for the Carbine. CZ, Burris, Leupold, and Warne all make them. You will need a scope with a smaller ocular lens so the bolt does not hit.

Here is mine before I put a scope on:
c75a45b3dc5e9abbf692b21b67c64409.jpg
dd40000b4b139697d1963632ee79e550.jpg
83696f0c04f77cbaa30cc18dc6d6759f.jpg

Sights or sightless, the dovetail reciever cuts are the same.
I have 2 527's that were in 223, and both have the DI products bases.

It makes ring choices a lot more, than having cz rings.

As far as used, both rifles were got that way.
One I had turned into a 223 based wildcat, the only thing used was the action.
Extended base on this one
0106171514.jpg

The other stayed stock.
Standard length base on this
0106171511.jpg

Now id like to pick up a 527 action in 762 x 39,
Or buy a carbine in it to shoot, then when I get tired of it, wildcat it.

Last edited:
Back