cylinders not the correct length on some replicas 1851 vs. 1860

swapping cylinders

I have 4 revolvers the last one I aquired isnt marked with a manufacturers name so I don't have a clue as to the brand. But the cylinder has several nipples stuck in it, it is the 1860 army model, anyway I have a new pietta 1851 revolver with the short barrel 5.5 in I believe which I'm not fond of due to loading it is very hard with the short plunger. So I was going to switch the cylinders and with the 1851 cylinder in the 1860 frame the barrel wont seat and when set side by side the 1851 pietta cylinder is noticably longer than the 1860 cylinder not by much maybe a 64th of an inch but that's enough to prevent getting the barrel wedge in and the cylinder being able to rotate in the revolver. I dont know what the 1860 brand is of course they all are probably made in the same factory but the cylinder isnt interchangeble with the 1851 and doing the swap the other way and trying to put the 1851 cylinder and barrel on the 1860 frame wont work either as the main rod the cylinder rotates on mounted on the 1860 frame wont accept the barrel of the 1851 both are 44 cal.

All the copies are worng. The 1851 and 1860 are built on the same frame. As well as the 1849 and 1862 police. The frame 1860 and 1862 have a step in the frame to accommodate the larger caliber. The 1860 cylinder chamber is not bored straight, to step down also 1860 has a progressive twist. There’s is no copies that do this. The 1851 Navy or ( the Colt Revoling Belt Pistol of Navy Caliber (i., 36 cal)). So the name 1851 Navy 44 makes no sense. Saying that both my Pietta cylinders 1851 and 1860 will fit in my 1851 2nd gen, and 1860 3nd gen. They are gritty, but they will cycle.

Attachments

• DSCF0001.jpg
    DSCF0001.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 53
  • DSCF0002.jpg
    DSCF0002.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 45
The 1862 Pietta has no step down. It's just a short barreled navy and the .44 navy makes no sense anyway because it never existed.

In 1860, the .36 caliber Police Pocket model was created using the frame of the 1849 google. See my picture 1849 and my pocket police there is a step.

Last edited:
Believe me I know my history and it came about in 61 not 60 but go look at a Pietta on Cabela's website and you'll see no step or rebate.

Hawg I know you know your history. I have read your posts for years and I respect you. I bow to you sir!

This is what I was talking about
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt_Pocket_Percussion_Revolvers

I had a stroke a year 1/2 ago, it damage the pre motor cortex. I have the knowledge but I have a problem putting in words. I thought I could contribute to the conversation, but I am not equal to the task. So I will stay to and read and not post. Sorry to the group God Bless

Last edited:
Tinpan I understand what you're saying but you're not reading what I originally posted. I know the pocket/police models were based on the 49. I know they have rebated cylinders but IF you go READ my original post you will see that I said the PIETTA 62 does not have a rebated cylinder and is in fact the same frame as the 51 then MAYBE we'll both be on the same page.:D

Back