Cylinder Release Latch Question

You really need to clean the trough that the bolt (cyl release latch) rides in. A better way may be to remove the thumb piece and spray in cleaner from the back side of the bolt. Of course, the best way would be to remove the bolt but there is that evil spring and plunger to deal with. First time I did that job, I did it inside a large freezer bag. You are most likely to loose the spring and plunger while replacing the bolt because it just don't seem to fit without a bunch of fussing.

Good luck.

remind me to tell you about the 2 piece bolt that came in one of my model 15s.

Frankly, S&W revolvers are easy enough to detail strip….or mostly detail strip. You can learn it. Lots of tips online. Ask me when you struggle, I’ll help. You will need some tools.

When you see how it is supposed to work, it will be easy to keep working.

There is no shame in giving to a gunsmith if mechanical systems are not your thing.

You really need to clean the trough that the bolt (cyl release latch) rides in. A better way may be to remove the thumb piece and spray in cleaner from the back side of the bolt. Of course, the best way would be to remove the bolt but there is that evil spring and plunger to deal with. First time I did that job, I did it inside a large freezer bag. You are most likely to loose the spring and plunger while replacing the bolt because it just don't seem to fit without a bunch of fussing.

Good luck.

remind me to tell you about the 2 piece bolt that came in one of my model 15s.
Thanx for that.

Sent from my Commodore 64 running Windoze 95

5150 said:
I reload my own handgun ammo and it just so happens I have some One Shot. Hadn't thought of that. Thanx.
Ummm ...

Hornady has several different products called One-Shot. For reloading, you probably have the case lube. That's not the One-Shot gun cleaner/lube that I think is being referred to here.

"Frankly, S&W revolvers are easy enough to detail strip….or mostly detail strip. You can learn it. Lots of tips online. Ask me when you struggle, I’ll help. You will need some tools."

I agree. My dislike of the more recent models is not the appearance of the locking hole but the ruination of S&W's beautiful lockworks. I have a few Rugers including Security Six and GP100's and while these operate well I hate working on them. I'm sorry Ruger, I don't like having to buy a special tool to take apart the cylinder and, YES, they do get dirty down at the bottom of the cylinder. While the GP100 may be more sturdy, I prefer the older "six" models.

Back