Cylinder Release Latch Question

Hi Everyone,
I have a Smith 28-2 and the cylinder release latch seems to stick after sitting for any length of time. I have removed it and lightly oiled it which only seems to be a temporary fix. I have also removed the side plate to ensure that area was clean inside. Any ideas on how to free it up a little? Thanx for any help.

Sent from my Commodore 64 running Windoze 95

Last edited:
Probably some dried grease or oil. Alcohol is a good degreaser and should free up the problem. The internals of a DA revolver require very little lubrication and over lubrication can actually attract grit and cause problems.

Take it completely apart and degrease everything completely.

No need to take out the cylinder stop spring or pin unless it’s gunky.

When you have it torn down check for wear or burs.

Like said above, you don’t need much lube as it just attracts dirt and fouling.

Thanx for the tips. I removed the side plate and cleaned out the innards the best I could with a little alcohol. I did not "take it all apart" for the simple reason that there are no competent 'smiths in my area to put it all back together. :) Hopefully this will work.

If you feel comfortable removing the hammer, that will allow you much better access to the cylinder release latch in order to degrease it. The hammer assembly is one of the easier parts to remove and put back as you don't have to fight with the rebound slide or any small fiddly springs. Once the side plate is off, back out the strain screw in the front strap of the grip until you can lift out the mainspring. Then pull the trigger about halfway back until the hammer can be lifted out. Once the hammer is out, you'll be able to see the cylinder release clearly. I doubt you'd need to actually remove the cylinder release, just flush it out with alcohol. Reassembly is in reverse order and pretty straightforward.

It's hard to push open after sitting for some time. Once it does free up, the cylinder opens no problemo. Subsequent tries at opening it works easily. It's only after sitting for a length of time (don't ask me how long) does it hang up. Another poster explained that's it's easy-peasy to remove the hammer to access that area. I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed and try that.

Another possibility is that it's not the cylinder release itself but rather the locking bolt (the pin that runs through the cylinder and ejector rod) that is sticking. You can probably free it up by simply dribbling some alcohol over the rear face of the cylinder and front of the ejector rod.

Thanx for the tips. I removed the side plate and cleaned out the innards the best I could with a little alcohol. I did not "take it all apart" for the simple reason that there are no competent 'smiths in my area to put it all back together. :) Hopefully this will work.

You don’t need a gunsmith to take one apart. This guy goes into a lot of detail to guide you through the process.

It isn’t difficult at all.

https://youtu.be/4ujyLn3lHBc

You're absolutely right. I don't need a gunsmith to take one apart, just reassembling it . If I take it down, my biggest fear is not missing a part after putting it back together, it's having one left over. In the past I have only removed the side plate and cylinder, nothing more. I'll watch the vid and give it a try. Wish me luck.

Last edited:
Alcohol will probably clean it out but brake cleaner definitely will but you'll need to lube it up good afterwards. Brake cleaner will take all the lube out of it. Take the grips off first.

I'd be tempted to just blow things out thoroughly with something like Hornady One Shot that has a liquid cleaner/penetrant that will evaporate completely, leaving a dry lubricant in place.

Take the gun outside or hold it over a container in a ventilated area, and, with the grips off and using eye protection, spray the One Shot into and around the latch area while working the latch. You should be able to feel it free up and also to see crud being rinsed out of the gun.

Then shake out the excess cleaner and let the rest of it evaporate. Wipe down the outside of the gun, replace the grips and see how it works.

I reload my own handgun ammo and it just so happens I have some One Shot. Hadn't thought of that. Thanx.

Thanx for asking. There's no prying needed. I took a 12 lb. sledge and whacked it out from the left side. Just kidding. I have a small rubber hammer and tapped it out. Done that b4, works easy-peasy, and doesn't mar the finish.

You're absolutely right. I don't need a gunsmith to take one apart, just reassembling it . If I take it down, my biggest fear is not missing a part after putting it back together, it's having one left over. In the past I have only removed the side plate and cylinder, nothing more. I'll watch the vid and give it a try. Wish me luck.

Part of the enjoyment for me is learning how to take my guns apart to do the proper maintenance.

I pulled the slides completely apart on my Sigs last night, ultrasonic cleaned everything, bathed them in kerosene and put them back together.

Watch the video and see what you think. The only difficult part is the rebound spring in / out.

Thanx for asking. There's no prying needed. I took a 12 lb. sledge and whacked it out from the left side. Just kidding. I have a small rubber hammer and tapped it out. Done that b4, works easy-peasy, and doesn't mar the finish.

See, you’re nearly halfway there!

There are a number of YouTube videos showing people prying them out and it makes me cringe every time I see one.

Back