Cylinder hangs up during rotation every 6th chamber

A lot going on.

The revolver seems to have 0.003 - 0.004" of endshake. It is getting close to the limit. But I'd set it aside for now as it doesn't cause the problem you are having.

The blinding cylinder seems to have less gap than the non blinding ones. Try this. Cock the hammer while slowing the cylinder down with your left thumb. Look through the gap to make sure there is always light shining through. There must be a gap of at least 0.002" there, or the cylinder is dragging on the forcing cone with residue from firing.

You may want to make sure the cylinder stop timing is correct as I suggest previously.

Can you describe the blinding in a bit more details? Does the cylinder simply refuse to advance from the beginning, or it slows down as it progresses?

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

The blinding cylinder seems to have less gap than the non blinding ones. Try this. Cock the hammer while slowing the cylinder down with your left thumb. Look through the gap to make sure there is always light shining through. There must be a gap of at least 0.002" there, or the cylinder is dragging on the forcing cone with residue from firing.

There's always a gap while cocking the hammer through all 6 stations . It is easily .002 and likely more like .005 or .006 . It appears to be larger then if I were to look through a .002 gap in my calipers .

Can you describe the blinding in a bit more details? Does the cylinder simply refuse to advance from the beginning, or it slows down as it progresses?

The binding/drag is/was later in the pull back of the hammer as it progressed . I don't believe it was from the start or at least to my best recollection . It's been a few months now since I felt it .

You may want to make sure the cylinder stop timing is correct as I suggest previously.

Timing appears to be fine . The cylinder locks up before the hammer drops every time . Not sure if that's the timing you're talking about or if the chambers lining up with the barrel is considered timing ? How do I check timing ?

EDIT

According to this video my timing it good if not perfect .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejQVB98a6gE

Last edited:
Based on your description on the blinding, it doesn't sound like a timing problem. What I suspected is that the cylinder stop didn't clear the cylinder recess before it started to rotate, in which case the blinding would be felt at the beginning of the rotation, so much so that the cylinder wouldn't even rotate at all.

The cylinder rotates counter-clock-wise from shooter's perspective. Hammer pulls back, cylinder stop clears, hand pushes cylinder, cylinder rotates, somewhere half way through the cylinder pops up and drag on the cylinder, it engages the next recess and stop the cylinder, hammer drops. Make sure there is no burrs or irregularities on the cylinder, where the cylinder stop drags on.

If all is fine, It is then likely due to irregularity on the ratchet pad (the star) as suggested by other members. Mark the ratchet point responsible for the blinding chamber and compare with the other 5. At the beginning of the rotation, the hand pushes under that ratchet point. As it progresses, the ratchet point slips to the left of the hand. The tip of the hand slides along the ratchet point. If there is burrs the hand will catch it and cause blinding.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I took it out today . Fired about 130rds maybe more of multiple loads . I worked up 5 different loads from plinking loads using Titegroup to full throttle loads using 2400 . To include lead , plated and jacketed bullets . The gun worked flawlessly, I do like this firearm . It must have been fiuling build up or something getting lodged somewhere.

Good deal. Hate to see a good gun go down. My first handgun was a GP100. It's still going strong and I still enjoy shooting it!

Back