Cylinder clicking changed?

That will work fine (please don't do it with an original Colt, though). But if you do it that way, you use a smaller drill to go all the way through. That way if the plunger gets stuck at some time, it can be driven out from the front (after the hammer and hand are removed). Also cut a groove in the plunger tail and crimp the front spring coil into it, so the two pieces are one unit and easier to handle (and find on the floor).

Jim

Rival's two questions...

Wouldn't buy a new hand. No reason to think there is anything wrong with the old one. Just has a broke spring.

As regards an acceptable set of files, here ya go:

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-piece-precision-needle-file-set-4614.html

I know...I know....This is Horrible Freight. But I have tried these files and they worked and lasted as long as a good set of jeweler's files that was five times as much money. They have the added advantage in that each file has a handle. My expensive set is intended to be used with a single common handle. (Which I never do because I am too lazy. I just hold the file by the shank and then use band aids on my banged up palm.......) (Hmmm....."Band aid".....Is that someone who helps a musical group?)

I have a bobby pin spring that has been in for years, but it was a good old made in USA pin from the bottom of my wife's "hair stuff drawer".
The coil spring through the frame is ok for cartridge guns, but I take my cap and ball guns all of the way down too often and don't like chasing little parts.
While on springs, an old clock guy once told me "its rust that breaks springs." Hand springs are hard to dry in the gun. I keep mine well oiled and don't put it in the dish washer!

James K said:
That will work fine (please don't do it with an original Colt, though). But if you do it that way, you use a smaller drill to go all the way through. That way if the plunger gets stuck at some time, it can be driven out from the front (after the hammer and hand are removed). Also cut a groove in the plunger tail and crimp the front spring coil into it, so the two pieces are one unit and easier to handle (and find on the floor).

I don't believe there is any way to drive out a plunger from the front. You are not drilling all the way through the frame - only into the hammer channel. The bottom (smaller) spring and plunger is what you want to use. The plunger will not get stuck. The spring and plunger shown in the attachment already has a tail that the spring clips onto so you won't lose it.

44Dave said:
The coil spring through the frame is ok for cartridge guns, but I take my cap and ball guns all of the way down too often and don't like chasing little parts

I take my C&B revolvers down every couple months or so depending on how many matches I've shot, and haven't lost a spring and plunger yet.

Back