Cycling CCW?

My problem with this is if you HAD to stop somewhere and go inside what do you do with the handgun?

That, and the fact that my seat bag has tools, spare tube, etc. Would rather not have to take my gun out of the bag when I'm fixing a flat. Awkward. And on charity rides, etc. it's pretty normal to set your bike down while you visit the porta-potty and refreshment tent. Rather have it on me.

I think Faulkner had it right (the novelist as well....): a carry bag that is rubberized to avoid wetness would be ideal. maybe put in some silica gel pads as well.
As a guy who used to road bike almost for a living, I don't think that you're ever going to have a chance to grab a gun out of a pocket if you're moving and you encounter a car. If people stop you, you will probably have time to get a hand to your carry bag.

And the usual admonishment to "check your local laws." There might be a limitation in there that you want to know about.

Not a huge cyclist... but I do have a 50's style bike for 2, that allows the MRS to not have to pedal, when she doesn't want to :mad:... ( I get pretty sweaty )

my 1st thought, was pepper spray, is probably more practical on a bike, as it could be used on attacking dogs more often than a handgun could... generally smaller & lighter, & often with less "edges" to rub you wrong

as far as handguns, I bought a Taurus TCP ( made in the USA ) 380, when I took up rollerblading ( when I turned 50 ) the gun was cheap ( cost ) plastic & stainless, so less concerns about sweat, & had the best trigger of about 10 or so pocket autos I tried... the Taurus comes with a Bulldog case ( or at least did when I bought mine ) the Bulldog cases don't look like holsters, they look like smart phone bags / pouches... that could be added to the bike, or have a nylon belt & wrap around to attach to the bike, which could then be strapped to your waist for breaks where you are separated from the bike...

Last edited:
A belly band in the right location (in terms of being worn high or low) might be a viable mode of carry while riding a bike-but then, I'm a casual rider at most (established biking trails for me) and I don't have a clue as to how this might work when clad in "cycling clothes".

If I'm road biking, I wear cargo shorts and a owb holster covered with a biking shirt. When mountain biking the cargo shorts won't allow enough movement. Too much material in the crotch (hangs on seat) won't let me move my body around for climbing, descending , and cornering. So I wear bike shorts and don't carry.

Back