Cycling CCW?

vandyatc

I am an avid mountain biker (ride 1-2 times per week) and have no problem CC'ing my FN57 IWB in the small of my back. My mountain bike shorts have a belt and they have a baggy outer layer and baggy-ish shirt that is plenty long.

I've just begun riding road bikes, and I'd like to carry, but everything is just so... Snug... I think I could pretty easily carry a .380 in the same manner as my FN57, but there is no belt. It's all skin tight stuff, so double stacks or full size would be less than ideal. Need something skinny and concealable.

WAAAAY too much sweating going on to use a Crossbreed Supertuck. I'd rather just use Kevlar. My ravens all have belt loop attachments so I'm not sure how to make it secure.

Anybody have this solved? I can carry in my camelbak, but if in need I would have to call a time out to get it out of there. I guess it is better than no gun, but not by much.

I just sold my S&W 442 that I had a love hate relationship with. All I have is double stack stuff, so I'd be in the market for a pocket style gun like a LCP or Bodyguard .380.

Any advice is appreciated!

Do you wear a cycling jersey, with the pockets in back? The pockets on mine are easily large enough for my Shield, but I know for a fact my P32 rides in there just fine in a pocket holster.

My mountain bike ones have zippers. I'm ordering cycling ones this week. Maybe that will be the easiest.

Are you happy with the retention just using a pocket holster?

Thanks! Keep the replies coming.

I've been using a NAA Mini Mag in my jersey pocket. I thought about a frame bag and my larger pistols but I wanted the firearm on my person. The NAA .22mag in a nice holster is quite light and small.

Are you happy with the retention just using a pocket holster?

Yes, my pocket holster fits the jersey pocket and is stable when I'm riding. No retention issues, and the P32 is so light I don't even notice that it's there.

A fanny pack that you attach to the bike while riding. This way you don't have to sacrifice comfort or size.

When I was road cycling regularly I had a small utility pouch that hung on the top tube between the seat and handlebars. It looked like a small tool pouch, but was large enough to carry my PT-22, and was fairly easy to get to.

In cycling clothes, just about any gun is going to print. Hate to say it, but a fanny pack or saddle bag or the like would would be almost ideal.

I didn't bother with the cycling clothes (wasn't that serious about it) and after trying to pocket carry once on a 15 mile ride I never did it again.

Along with the gun being drenched in sweat, it also abraded the living hell out of my thigh (pocket carry) from just the extra weight rubbing the fabric of the pocket against my leg.

Along with the gun being drenched in sweat, it also abraded the living hell out of my thigh (pocket carry) from just the extra weight rubbing the fabric of the pocket against my leg.

I can only imagine, thankfully, just how bad that sucked.

While I carry virtually everywhere I go, a bike ride is one activity I do not.

I enjoy occasionally riding my mountain bike and always wear a fanny pack. It holds my wallet, cell phone, keys, A small can of OC ( as a deterrent for aggressive dogs ), Leatherman, and my Bulldog .44spl. Probably not suitable for serious or competitive riding but it works well for the recreational riding I do.

5.11 Tactical, Glockstore.com, Woolrich, Underarmor, Kramer...

As more people outside of spec ops & LE get concealed carry garments and active wear, more companies are bringing out new lines.
5.11 Tactical has a good work out shirt with 2 supported pockets for smaller weapons(Glock 23, PX4 Storm, P229, S&W K frame revolver).
I saw the main actor on USA's hit action series Burn Notice wearing a black 5.11 T shirt.
Other concealable active clothes are from www.glockstore.com www.galls.com www.policehq.com www.sigsauer.com www.woolrich.com . Greg Kramer sells a mesh type tank top with concealed pockets. I've heard +/- reviews but it may be of interest.

Clyde

I got my new jersey today and think I'm gong to take it to the gun shop and see what I can fit in the pocket. It looks like a LCP or a J-frame may fit in a picket holster well enough.

I'll post if I come to a conclusion and do a 50 miler with it.

I carry mine in a pouch under the seat. Not as accessable as carrying it on my person, but I can still get to it pretty quickly.

407477280.jpg

A concealment pouch for the harness of your camelback system. The pouch on the left shoulder strap and it is easy to access, not soaked in sweat and not left on the bike. Brigade Quartermaster

Just don't carry it like this guy.

Officials say Docteur claimed he was riding his bike when six men showed up, their faces obscured by hooded sweatshirts, and asked for money before shooting at him.

But....
Eventually, they say, he broke down and admitted he was carrying a gun in his waistband, and it accidentally went off while he was riding.

I ended up carrying a borrowed LCP in a pocket holster in my right rear (7:30 position) pocket of my jersey. It was perfect. Not as easy to get out as a good 3:00 IWB, but as good as I think I can get.

So- I'm in the market for my own LCP now. I wish I wouldn't have sold the one I had!!

Like Faulkner said - I have a bike "tool pouch" that connects to the bottom of my seat. I keep a .38 in it. Rides fine. Access would not be immediate but I feel better knowing it is there.

LSU said:
Like Faulkner said - I have a bike "tool pouch" that connects to the bottom of my seat. I keep a .38 in it. Rides fine. Access would not be immediate but I feel better knowing it is there.

My problem with this is if you HAD to stop somewhere and go inside what do you do with the handgun?

Back