Cycling AR 15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe you just do not understand that less gas means you have to restrict the gas flow to create more pressure in the gas system?

Maybe I have reading comprehension issues as well, but it appears you're saying that you think you need to restrict gas flow to increase pressure to make subs work? You think closing the gas system more increases pressure to improve cycling?

He doesn't need an adjustable gas system. He needs to realize that 5.56 subs are practically worthless, especially with how much work it'd take to get them cycling in an AR platform. I'd also recommend a better suppressor. Witt Machine cans are far from quiet, even with 300blk subs.

[having] less gas [from subsonic ammunition means you have
to restrict the gas flow to create more pressure in the gas system....
1. That would seem to be counterintuitive. Can you elaborate please ?
Possibly you mean restrict it at the muzzle?

2. I was under the impression that adjustable gas blocks [could] use the
block itself to regulate the gas from and otherwise larger default hole
in the barrel. Am I incorrect?

Last edited:
Guys, Guys, Guys I think we need to close this post. I've made up my mind. I don't mind shelling out $25 for a light spring. If the light buffer and spring works great! I won. If the light spring doesn't work, then I'm willing to spend the money to get a 300 uppper and pop it in to be able to do what I want. Besides, I measure the distances between me and those darn coyotes that I want to take out and it's only 500 feet. The boss has already clear for me to get the 300 upper if the spring doesn't work.
Thanks for all your input. Stay tune for the final out come of the spring if your interested in know.

I have perfered to fire subsonic rounds (.223) out of my AR15. I know that once I fire it, I have to make sure that a round has ejected and a new round is inserted. But my AR15 bolt doesn't even move with a light buffer or a heavy buffer. I've tried 1 round with a 2.1oz buffer and the next buffer was 5.6oz. So what's story here? Did I have to put in an H2 buffer and try that to see if it works even tho the two above mentioned didn't work? Now, in addition to this, in 9 days I should be getting word about my suppressor. Will this help with this cycling or what? I'm lost, please help.

He is not using a suppressor when he is shooting subsonics. It's not setting up a AR-15 suppressed at all. It's forcing an AR15 to shoot something it was not intended to shoot in a manner it was not designed to do. He is putting square pegs into round holes.

If our gas volume is adjustable and pressure are fixed and we need to increase pressure in the system, that means compressing it into a smaller volume. Some adjustable gas block might work and others definitely will not depending on the design. Homework definitely needs to be done.

If he ran a suppressor he would be getting more gas volume in the system but unsuppressed with subsonics is not that scenario.

Last edited:
(UPDATE)
Okay I was thinking that I put this, but after going back and reading everything, I guess I didn't. Got my suppressor, attached it. Now the 5.56 rounds are still loud. But firing my .223 sub sonic are as smooth as a baby's butt. The only thing you hear when it's fired is the round hitting the plywood. The problem I'm having is that it's still not cycling. Things I have done and things I'm going to do. I've already put in a light buffer, and what I'm waiting on now is a light spring. Once I get the light spring in I'll try it and see if it's cycle's. If it does great! My trip is over with. But if it doesn't than I'm going to put a 300 upper on my AR15.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back