cva optima v2 questions

Boy, this is better than watching the Three Stooges

20 shots in 4 hours , 1/2 inch groups 100 yards, just keeps getting better and
better

I don't understand where your disbelief is coming from!

the 4 hours is partially due to his taking multiple work phone calls, and i had him run a brush after every round and clean the breech plug, i had him try 3 in a row without cleaning just to see how the powerbelt bullets worked. also, once he developed his flinch, i was hesitant to make any scope adjustments, i dont want him injuring a deer and having to chase it, that would just be unnecessary!

i also didnt want to adjust the scope to take into account his flinch, i told him this summer we will need to fire it a bit more so he can get used to it, it was 25 degrees when we shot it, had to do it out of my barn to stay out of the wind.

Anyone flinching with 245 grain PowerBelts should switch to another bullet. Try using a 357 bullet in a sabot. Way less recoil. FWIW, Powerbelts will have him and you chasing wounded deer. They are, by far, the worst bullets I've ever used on whitetails. I've shot about eight or nine with them and the results were terrible. I switched to Hornady XTPs and have had great success. Two more this last week and they dropped in their tracks with massive wound channels. A 245g bullet doesn't generate that much recoil so your friend needs to spend some time on the range getting used to the recoil. Is he wearing muffs? Most flinches are from noise, not recoil.

telling people that BH209 is smokeless powder is just plain stupid, all it takes is a rookie who hasnt a clue to read what you typed and go, Oh! its smokeless, i guess i can use some IMR stuff then! WHEW, its a lot cheaper too.

To damn dangerous to go around saying its smokeless powder, it doesnt produce any numbers like true smokeless powders we are used to.

telling people that BH209 is smokeless powder is just plain stupid, all it takes is a rookie who hasnt a clue to read what you typed and go, Oh! its smokeless, i guess i can use some IMR stuff then! WHEW, its a lot cheaper too.

To damn dangerous to go around saying its smokeless powder, it doesnt produce any numbers like true smokeless powders we are used to.

FrontierGander,
I never told anyone to use smokeless powder in any gun not designed for it. I simply said that Blackhorn209 was developed as a blackpowder substitute for muzzle loaders. You seem to be a little clueless and don't "get it". If you don't understand what you're reading ask for clarification. It's not that complicated. It is a smokeless powder designed to generate low enough pressures so that it can be used in a muzzle loading rifle designed to use black powder. What part of this don't you understand? Only an idiot would put smokeless powder such as any IMR powder into a muzzle loading rifle not designed to use smokeless powder and blow the gun up. I guess we can't share intelligent information with the people who aren't capable of understanding it or who might abuse it. For any others out there who misunderstood what was said, YOU CANNOT USE SMOKELESS POWDER IN A MUZZLE LOADING RIFLE UNLESS IT'S DESIGNATED SAFE IN A MUZZLE LOADER......SUCH AS BLACKHORN 209. Savage made a muzzle loader, the Savage ML2, which uses smokeless powders but that is the only factory made rifle that I'm aware of that was ever designed for using smokeless powder in a muzzle loader.

i fully understand what you are saying, I however just simply do not like seeing it pawned off as a smokeless powder. It can be confusing and i have run into this problem in the past with folks getting confused.

One write up doesnt say a whole lot though.

believe it or not, his 8th shot, scope hit him in the nose, i dont know how, i think he was leaning into it to much, and yes, he was wearing hearing protection. i did tell him this spring we will bring it out again, and as for recoil, it kicks less than my 30-06, at least i thought so. however, i am 36, still a lad somewhat, but i have been shooting since i was 6, and reloaded with my dad since then to, my buddy has been shooting for a year or so, so i think he just needs more bench time. i managed to put my first round in the bulls, tried it 2 more times with a 1" group at 50 yds. experience counts. he did, however, get a deer this year with his 06, she ran 50 feet, shot placement was a little off, i know cause i dressed her and skinned her for him. im gonna try the old board and wet phonebook tests this spring to see what the powerbelt will do for expansion. I was afraid to have him get a larger bullet because recoil was one of my main concerns.
as far as the 357 bullet in a sabo, can u just buy sabos, and what kind of charge are u using? i dnt have a **** ton of experience with these inlines. will it have enough velocity to expand the way it should, i do have some 180 grain hornady xtps i use in my 357 maximum contender. at this point he has winchester 209 primers, and pyrodex rs for propellant.

Check MMP Sabots and Harvester Sabots. Either one or both have sabots that will work with a 50cal muzzle loader and use 357 bullets. This will give really light recoil and the 357 Hornady XTP is just devastating on deer. I've shot a lot of them with this bullet out of a handgun and a rifle. I've never lost one and I've shot over 50 with the 357mag. Both companies have web sites with very good info.

Back