cva optima v2 questions

n8ball

A buddy of mine is getting one of these to extend his deer season, im trying to help him decide what bullets and propellant to use. I load all of my own cartridges but i dont have a lot of experience with inlines. Im looking for a good deer load.
i suggested that he get loose powder cause it is cheaper than the pellets and will last loner, but cva suggests getting a different breech plug for loose powder, is this necessary? the last inline i shot was years ago and didnt seem to have any issues with using pyrodex pistol powder, thats what i had on hand at the time. What is the difference between the pistol powder and there rifle powder, burn rate? i know there are different degrees of course or fine powders.

I use 100 gr by volume of loose FFg 777 under a 300 gr Hornady XTP in a black MMP sabot in my TC Pro Hunter. That's a pretty basic load.

I don't like pellets. They seem to leave more crud in my bore.

A buddy of mine is getting one of these to extend his deer season, im trying to help him decide what bullets and propellant to use. I load all of my own cartridges but i dont have a lot of experience with inlines. Im looking for a good deer load.
i suggested that he get loose powder cause it is cheaper than the pellets and will last loner, but cva suggests getting a different breech plug for loose powder, is this necessary? the last inline i shot was years ago and didnt seem to have any issues with using pyrodex pistol powder, thats what i had on hand at the time. What is the difference between the pistol powder and there rifle powder, burn rate? i know there are different degrees of course or fine powders.
If you're looking to do something very soon, you're going to have to do something "simple" that works, and not necessarily the best possible choice. Muzzle loading can get somewhat complicated and there are a lot of options out there for powder, bullets, sabots, etc. No one can tell you what to use and possibly know if it will be the best choice for your particular gun. I do believe CVA has recommended starting loads for their guns and I'd follow their advice to get you going. There is a difference in plugs for loose powder and for pellets. They sit in the bottom of the barrel differently and have different ignition requirements. The standards on muzzle loaders are not uniform: each manufacturer uses different actual diameters for their barrels and one sabot/bullet may fit in your gun and not in someone else's gun or vice versa. The bullet/sabot should be very snug but not too snug to where you can't get it down the barrel. For now, to get going, use what CVA recommends. After the season you can experiment and find the "perfect" combo for your particular gun.

Hello,
I am a revolver guy mostly but maybe I can help a little. about a year ago I bought a simple .50 cal wolf that also uses a breech plug, and I tryed 2 different powders in this, the first was tripple 7 and I found that I could load maybe 3 times and then the balls got very hard to load, then I tryed blackhorn 209 and this stuff really worked on my wolf.

I used 80 grs blackhorn (by volume) with a 250 gr. sabbot with a 209 (shotgun) primmer and at 100 yards with scope and resting across my rear bag on my 4 wheeler, this cheap rifle was putting 3 shots into 1/2 inch respectfully!

I am not new to black powder I have been at it for over 40 years now but have shot the more traditional hawken type. you work up the rite load for these and they will be more accurate than most shooters..

like I said I know little about these but I am sure someone will be along to help you..

CVA questions...

New rifle, person new to in-lines, what to use and answers to your questions.

In-lines are a completely different animal than side lockers. They are designed for pellets. This is the reason for going to the 209 primer in the first place. A #11 cap is fine for ANY TYPE of loose powder but not for pellets.

It was also discovered a shotgun 209 was a bit too hot leading to "bullet/pellet jump". 777 has a "toned down" 209 perfect for pellets.

Loose powder question. Most often FF for rifles, FFF for pistols. FFF develops slightly more peak pressure upon firing and burns faster.

Most in-lines have a 28 inch barrel. They CAN handle 150 grains of powder. They CAN'T BURN 150 grains though. The max burnable charge is 120 gr.

Ah-HA!!! EUREKA!!! The crud ring everyone belly-aches about is 1 of 3 things, (possibly a combination of all of them).
1) Too hot a 209.
2) Too much powder (150 gr)
3) Melted plastic left behind from the sabot.

What to do about these 3 things:
1) Use 777 209 primers.
2) Use 777 Magnum pellets (use 2, 60 grains each = 120 grains)
3) Swab the bore between EVERY SHOT EVEN IN THE FIELD to remove fouling and plastic while the barrel is warm.

CVA's like Power Belt bullets and are designed to shoot them. Many here don't like their performance on game. CVA's also have a bit of a "tight" barrel. If you seriously want "bone crushing terminal performance" on deer, Barnes solid copper sabots are BY FAR the best. The T-EZ sabots are made for tighter barrels. I'd stick with the 250 grain sabot.

You now will have a deadly killing machine good out to 200 yds (WITH PRACTICE)!!!!

Good luck and go get em,

:D

Birch

Pellets will not shoot as good a loose powder. Pellets tend to crack and break and you get different burns when this happenss. Inlines were not designed to shoot pellets. Lots and lots of shooters use loose powder in inlines. Pellets are easy to use, not the best to use. Triple7 leaves crud rings and is hard to load. Blackhorn 209 is not. It's a smokeless powder with an additive to make it smoke and it's made to be used in blackpowder/blackpowder sub rifles. Just remember, everything on the internet isn't true.

^^^

Sir, you are seriously uninformed or misinformed.

In-lines are not designed to shoot pellets? Surely you jest!

I must refrain from commenting further before I get in trouble.

Wow...

No, you said "they were designed for pellets". That wasn't what they were designed for. The can shoot either pellets or loose, they weren't designed just for pellets as you state. You sound like you are stating a lot of facts but what they are in fact are your opinions. I've been shooting muzzle loaders for well over 40 years and I've owned and shot many different designs, sidelocks and inlines. Some of what you state is correct but all of what you are saying as factual are opinions. Some of your comments are misleading. You're completely incorrect about your primer statements. You're regurgitating Urban Myths on that subject, long since disproved as being incorrect. You are however, like myself, entitled to your own beliefs and opinions. Anyway, I'm off for four days of muzzle loading hunting. FYI...I use Hornady XTP's, 250grain, Red Harvester Crush Rib Sabots, and a Winchester 209 shotgun primer. I'm getting just over one inch five shot groups at 100yds with this set-up and I've killed a boat load of deer with it.

Last edited:
^^^

This forum has recently had many new folks here asking good questions that deserve honest answers.

Blackhorn 209 is not. It's a smokeless powder with an additive to make it smoke

Blackhorn is a "smokeless powder"? Where on Earth did you come to that conclusion? Absolute total misinformation. BH 209 IS NOT smokeless powder.

Inlines were not designed to shoot pellets.

Have you recently (not 40 yrs ago) read or spoke/listened to any recommendations from any reliable BP rifle or powder manufacturer? BEFORE in-lines used 209 primers and came with #11 cap nipple, loose powder worked great! 209 primer rifles are absolutely designed to use pellets.

Pellets will not shoot as good a loose powder.

OH YEAH I forgot about the BS (ballistic stabilizer) secret ingredient in loose powder! :D

Pellets are easy to use, not the best to use. Triple7 leaves crud rings and is hard to load.

Easy to use... but hard to load. Hmmmm I gotta ponder that one! (Note to self, call and ask Hodgdon about this)... :confused:

Some of your comments are misleading. You're completely incorrect about your primer statements. You're regurgitating Urban Myths on that subject, long since disproved as being incorrect.

Wow, that one is a real "hum-dinger"! Call up Hodgdon (the manufacturer) and find out what they have to say about this. Their number is 913-362-9455 DON'T TAKE MY WORD or anyone else on this forum who have already done this. Please let us know where we ALL went wrong!

FYI...I use Hornady XTP's, 250grain, Red Harvester Crush Rib Sabots, and a Winchester 209 shotgun primer. I'm getting just over one inch five shot groups at 100yds with this set-up and I've killed a boat load of deer with it.

Glad to hear it and THRILLED this works well for you! Maybe I should disregard everything I've learned BY EXPERIENCE, spending countless hours testing and speaking with reps from every sabot, powder, and rifle manufacturer in the country and go with what YOU recommend! As you said so well...

Just remember, everything on the internet isn't true.

Beautifully stated...

Good day, goodbye, good hunting and happy trails to you.

I don't shoot an inline. But I have a few friends who do. And a couple of those have switched from Triple 777 (pellet) to Black Horn 209 and are well pleased with their decision. The only complaint I've heard was that B/H's cost is a bit on the spendy side at {$32.00 plus} for a 10-oz container.
But as one friend said the difference in cost between Triple 777 and Black horn 209 was still well worth his changing over to B/H's use. As said: B/H's (is simply a cleaner burning powder & his Omega's barrel was so much easier to clean.}
Here is a Link I personally think has allot of info for those looking for some knowledge on inline use. Just by bumping around on the web site you & friend will read & see allot of interesting writes and pix's.
BTW: I have purchased a few products in the past from that business. Honestly I have never been disappointed.
Your friend made a good decision in his wanting to get involved with B/P and it would be nice if he had a partner in the field along. You need to join him. You too need to get a rifle also.

http://www.prbullet.com/

wow, ok, lots to think about. i know he picked up pyrodex, rs i believe, so that is gonna be my propellant to work with, i mentioned the breech plug to him, as cva mentions it in one of there videos, cabelas told him it didnt matter, im not so sure but i will find out on monday when we zero it. i was planning on doing that at 50 yds, the scope that came with it has mil lines so we'll see if that works out at 100 yds.
he did pick up the powerbelt bullets, they are either 265's or maybe 280's.
the scope that came on it is a konus i believe, iluminated reticle, dnt know much about those scopes but seems like some folks like them.
he got winchester 209 primers
i will reply with my report on how it goes! i was trying not to overload his brain with all of the variable possibilities, i reload for him, he uses an 06 durin his rifle season
in connecticut i can hunt land owner from nov to the end of december with a rifle, so i dont know if i will muzzle loader hunt, he got his to extend his season to the end of december, i wont gain any time by hunting with one, and i like my rem 700 in 30'06, i can nail in tacks at 100 yds with a 165 hornady backed by 42.2 grains of imr 4064. Not to mention on my land, 100 yd shot is tough to get.

thanks for all the input, sounds like its gonna be similar to cartridge loading, just gotta find the best "recipe" i'll post back once we try this baby!! thx again!

forgot to mention in my earlier reply that on a latter shooting of my cva wolf I found that using the rem kleanbore primers with tripple 7, fouling was cut back a bit, every gun will like something different, but thats the fun of it all..:D:D

I am certainly looking forward to it, i may pull out my enfield from my reenacting days and try putting some 500 gr babies down range!!

so, to report, took 4 hours and 20 rounds but we sighted it in, my buddy developed a flinch that we had to try to get rid of. i only shot 3 shots, i had the scope zeroed for him, i thought, so i tried 1 round, it was 6 o'clock on the bulls at 50 yards, he wasnt, finaly got him calmed down and with a few more adjustments got hi in the bulls, at that point i tried 2. i was 4 inches right and low of the bulls, 3/4 inche group, but it was on for him. nice muzzleloader, very niice trigger to!!

took 4 hours and 20 rounds but we sighted it in, my buddy developed a flinch that we had to try to get rid of.
Ooo really!!._:eek:

Flinch development is the problem I see quite often with those who shoot 50 cal & larger inlines. {Those heavy suggested slugs over a heavy powder charge result in a heavily black & blue shoulder the weapons manufactures never inform their consumers of in their Instruction Manual. That I know of?} I don't see how anyone could enjoy their rifle knowing its undesirable recoil will indeed effect their aim. Maybe over time your friend will switch to shooting patched ball over conical. Perhaps not. Good to here between the two of you. It was sighted in at the end of the day._:)

i didnt think the recoil was all that bad, we used 82 grains of loose pyrodex and a 245 grain. less recoil than my 45-70 for sure! nice gun though, i may pick one up some day! thanks for all the input, it helped out a lot!!

Boy, this is better than watching the Three Stooges :p

20 shots in 4 hours , 1/2 inch groups 100 yards, just keeps getting better and
better :eek:

Back