Cutting down the number and bumping up the quality

That sounds suspiciously un-American. Are you trying to put WalMart out of business? Savage firearms owners across the country just recoiled in pain! Hi-Point owners will unite and vow a holy war against you!

No, seriously, once you get the "quality over quantity" thing nailed down you will be happier. Better quality only bothers you when you buy, poor quality will bother you every time you pick up that gun. I have never heard the owner of a well-made custom rifle complain that it was too accurate, or too pretty, just too expensive.
Best post on this thread. I have a Savage, but that one stays. My son shot his last deer with it. Also, Ruger American owners. Although, those are tack drivers.

Agree with it all 100%. Fun buying on sale. Not fun replacing everything to make it a better shooter. And none shoot better than my Mesa. Not a super expensive rifle, but the highest quality one I have.

Good timing as I am very seriously considering selling a good number of guns.
The shotguns are too difficult to shoot well due to vision issues.

Hunting has greatly declined so most rifles will be going as well. I will keep a few just in case.

Handguns, though I still shoot competition I have limited that to 22 and use a
Volquartsen Scorpion w red dot now. So most will also go.

Get the cash and look at one or two high-end or semi-custom pieces is always on my mind.
That's my thought process. I went through a gun buying spree. Had a lot of smith work done on some as well. It was keeping me occupied during a hard time. I guess they call it stress spending. But, I have all my bills paid off (besides a mortgage) and make decent money.
I have a place to deer and duck hunt a few times a year. Debating on buying hunting property, but I am disabled and need help with everything. May just do one or two good guided hunts a year and I don't need over 2-3 rifles and maybe a couple shotguns at the most. Have quite a few inexpensive handguns, too. Only carry a couple and have one for home defense. Just way too much stuff.

I'd like to revise my previous response.
I would gladly sell my 2 ARs and buy a Steyr AUG or Springfield Hellion. Unfortunately, one of the ARs is my wife's engagement gun, so I won't be selling that one!

While it is something that can go, I hate losing that much money on it.

That’s always the danger with customizing anything. If you decide to sell, you’ll never get that value back out of it. That’s the risk you take, but it’s worth the risk. You can’t be afraid to experiment. That lost money is an investment into learning what you like and don’t like. Take the hit, sell the gun, and try again now that you’ve paid to educate yourself.

That’s always the danger with customizing anything. If you decide to sell, you’ll never get that value back out of it. That’s the risk you take, but it’s worth the risk. You can’t be afraid to experiment. That lost money is an investment into learning what you like and don’t like. Take the hit, sell the gun, and try again now that you’ve paid to educate yourself.
You sir, put that statement with wisdom. Well said.

Reckon I am taking it all out over the next few weeks and shooting everything. Really see what is a must keep and what is, hmmm, well okay.

I have a beautiful Marlin 336 in 30-30. I have shot it once and to tell you the truth, besides the cool factor and it is beautiful, I did not really get excited over it. I could not stand the trigger and had some trigger work done on it. For the money I spent, it did not make much of a difference. That one may go.

Just moving on, to a better home !!!

I understand that we all have varying priorities and views. Have any of you ever thought the it's time for a particular firearm, to go to a better home?

Example, I had a Remingtom 1100 12ga and it was my favorite shotgun. I lost count on how many upland birds and deer, I harvested with that shortgun. Well I stopped huting deer with it and all the Iowa Pheasants, move to South Dakota. My high school buddy said that his oldest son was shopping for a good shotgun. This time, when I opened my safe, the 1100 gave me the thumbs up. Yes, I sold it to him and no, did not need the money. Last tmie I spoke with the son, he was praised that it was still bringing them down. For me, there is much satisfaction in that ....... :p

Be Safe !!!

Back