Cut Shells and their uses

I don't think I would ever alter a 30-06 round ever lol. but everyone takes things differently. I took the snarky attitude in the comment as bitter.

I also seen a post where someone was using a .40 case and putting a lead core in it and loading it as well.

would this be safe, because it is definitely interesting.

The shell is being forced down the bore-which is very undersized for the shell, THEN you get to the choke, constricting it even more.
Well, I was thinking if you were shooting it out of a cylinder bore choke and the hull walls were less than a full choke compresses, it might not be compressing it too bad. A full choke would make things much worse.

I also seen a post where someone was using a .40 case and putting a lead core in it and loading it as well.
...SAW a post...
Anyways, you mean filling a 40 SW cartridge case with lead and using that as a slug? With a sabot?
I don't know why you would mess with that. The slug mold mentioned above is something like $20.
These are only things I would do regularly when in desperate circumstance. You shot a few, you know how to do it and that it works, I'd now suggest you go back to using normal ammunition.

This has been discussed on TFL before. See this and the comments by Zippy13.

While it makes sense that the cut part of the shell is less likely to lodge in a cylinder bore, I wouldn't do it just to be cool. Even with a cylinder bore, you are risking having a section of the cut shell hanging up in your bore. I might do it with a beater barrel if there was no alternative available, like a rifle or real slugs, and I had to put meat on the table.

You do realize that even with a cylinder bore, the cut part of the shell is effectively constricting the bore and raising barrel pressure?

I believe that the guy using the .40 casing wans reloading a .444. I am not sure but I will try and find the post and add a link.

I have checked out some of those "large pellet" slug molds but they are expensive.

I'm not sure you are going to find a 10 gauge slug mold, Lee makes 12 ga in 7/8 & 1 oz you could probably come up with a buffered load using one of these.

I've never even heard of a 10 gauge slug mold. Just get some federal 10 gauge rifled slugs, I think they're roughly the same price as shot, and it'll be the hell of a lot less expensive then paying for a new barrel. Plus they are way more effective and more accurate.

Dimensions

Regardless of the length of a shell, the exterior diameter is 0.7980" or about 80 caliber. The diameter of a cylinder bore barrel is (depending on the barrel) 0.729" about 73 caliber.
So....shooting a cut shell amounts to firing an 80 caliber projectile down a 73 caliber barrel.
Good idea? Nuh-uh.
Pete

Plus the fact when the cut shell idea came out shell bodies were made of paper.

The paper section that when down the barrel is easier to swage down that a plastic piece.

And as said when that piece of plastic and shot (steel?) hit the choke barrel pressures go sky high.

i thought you couldn't shoot slugs out of a full choke?. im thinking of taking it to a gunsmith and having them just cut the end off that way it is cyl. bore all the way through. it has a 22" barrel so if I wanted to make it 18.5 should take the choke out right?

Not all shotgun barrels are completely straight the whole length.
While barrel makers seem to make sure the muzzle and choke line up with the chamber, the rest of the barrel may not.
At least not enough for shooting slugs.
Something to consider before cutting.
Best to check the barrel straightness, first, especially for shooting slugs rather than shot.
Just a thought.

Instead of cutting the barrel why not use something like a brake cylinder hone and take the inside measurement from .745 full to .770/.775, bet it wouldn't take long and it would be cheap. Need a pair of calipers & snap gage the choke on those guns shouldn't go to far into the barrel, use a light oil when honing.

Last edited:
^^^^
Shotgun barrels are kind of thin, more so where the choke threads are located.
Would even a full choked barrel be thick enough there to safely hone out?

Shotgun barrels are kind of thin, more so where the choke threads are located.
Would even a full choked barrel be thick enough there to safely hone out?

I believe his is a fix choked barrel no threads to worry about, opening a .745 to .775 is .030 or .015 from each side.

There was a guy people were recommending that would add chokes to barrels for $50. Why not just do that. This gun had to have had a purpose to be built the way it is. I'm pretty sure that purpose is a goose or turkey gun. Why not just sell it and buy something with interchangeable barrels.

There was a guy people were recommending that would add chokes to barrels for $50. Why not just do that. This gun had to have had a purpose to be built the way it is. I'm pretty sure that purpose is a goose or turkey gun. Why not just sell it and buy something with interchangeable barrels.

i thought you couldn't shoot slugs out of a full choke?. I'm thinking of taking it to a gunsmith and having them just cut the end off that way it is cyl. bore all the way through. it has a 22" barrel so if I wanted to make it 18.5 should take the choke out right?

Barrel is 22" long per OP maybe turkey? plus only has $200 into it wants to do slugs maybe a hd gun?

That would be Mike Orlen in MA. Comes with a lot of good press on ShotgunWorld; best to call. He's a Mod there.

Back