cut down 1858 remington

The down side? when you take away the loading lever
from a remmington, it no longer looks like a remmington.
the web on the loading lever is what makes the gun so
appealing ( to my eyes anyway ) you lose the lever you
lose the look, thats just my op, i am not telling you should
or should not.:confused:

58' snubby

check this pick out,i think it's is so different from what were used to seeing,plus it has a practical use of being a defensive weapon, when one is used to using a cap&ball revolver. plus it looks real cool!!!

post replies

mike

Attachments

• remington bulldog.jpg.jpg
    remington bulldog.jpg.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 623
I like my 5.5" barrel on my Pietta 58' it's handy, quite practical & very carry friendly & I can see a use for a 4" barrel model like in the pictures that Smokin_Gun has there but to me I have to say that a smaller barrel on a Remington clone doesn't appeal to me in 2 ways both of which have already been stated earlier.

(1)
long rider said:
The down side? when you take away the loading lever
from a remmington, it no longer looks like a remmington.
the web on the loading lever is what makes the gun so
appealing ( to my eyes anyway ) you lose the lever you
lose the look,

(2)
Hawg Haggen said:
I can see where the short barrels would have some appeal, just not very practical IMHO.

I agree with both posters.

58' snubby

fellows i'm not goin for looks i'm goin for a concealable bellygun that looks different from everything else were used to seeing and the 58' is so reliable it was my first choice.

mike

remington bulldog.jpg.jpg

Mike I like the Rem Bulldog ... couldn't see the cylinder pin clip config. Is it the standard one? Nice Job...
Here's mine a whole lot less work I bet.
07-08-08_1754.jpg

SG

Here is my version.. See if you can figger out how the base pin retainer works ( It's not 'rocket surgery ;))...

Attachments

• 4 inch Remmie.jpg
    4 inch Remmie.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 378
Oldwheat..I can`t tell from the pic..maybe a close up would help ...Are you going to tell us ..this might be just what I`m looking for ..I figured there was a way to use the parts at hand ..I just couldn`t think of it ...Is it possible to square off the front of the sail close to the gun frame and leave the round rod part of the loading lever ? This is what I have in my mind as to what I want to end up with ..and a 2 inch barrel .:cool:

please please tell us how you did it your is one of the coolest i've seen so far(strokin your ego) and it has the web everyone wants to keep it "traditional",me personally i like all the versions we all come up with because it's "OUR" design which makes it unique and special.

mike

Thanks for the pic I just wanted to see the Bulldog clip ...know how they work. Am a Rocket Surgeon.

remlatch.jpg

clipngun.jpg

The coil of the spring and the hole of the latch are held in by the loading lever screw. The latch is spring loaded upward and holds the T-handle/cyl. pin in place.

SG

I'll attempt to post more pix in the next little while ( read= few days) to further illustrate,perhaps even a diagram.. It's a little more work than attaching a bulldog clip but not that difficult a procedure.. I'm positive that many of you could improve it even further..

I never seem to have the pics & diagram in my thumb drive when I am online but I will try to get my act together shortly. Essentially, my arrangement uses a coil spring loaded plunger which you pull forward & rotate to release the base pin...

Sundance, get a wooden spring loaded clothespin and take it apart. Then look at the above pic I put here....copy and print it. I had made a clip with the spring alone that worked. Needs refining but had the dang thing workiin'. Need the flat metal latch, gonna make one.

SG:D

OK: Basically = Part 'G' is steel tubing turned down in diameter to fit closely into the plunger hole then part 'C' is pinned or screwed into the forward part of the part 'G'.....

Part 'B' is threaded on one end & parts 'A' & 'F' (modified loading lever sail) are both drilled & threaded with matching threads .. The aft end of part 'B' (about 1/4 ") extends into the space just under the base pin.. File or sand it down to fit snugly enough to prevent wobble... Part 'D' is a bolt with the head turned down to make a good fit in part 'G'. It runs through part 'E' & screws into the lower threaded hole in part 'A'..

To use, pull out the 'sail' & twist down.... Then pull out the base pin..

P.S. If you put in a larger diameter loading-lever retainer screw, the base pin doesn't come out of the frame but has enough clearance for cylinder removal..

Attachments

• one-fourth turn.jpg
    one-fourth turn.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 317
  • 180 degree.jpg
    180 degree.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 291
  • Base pin retainer.jpg
    Base pin retainer.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 304
Last edited:
wow!,how do i make one?,or do i need to ask a gunsmith?.one of the best i'