Customer Service. Ruger vs Rossi

of course the best customer serviced is the one you don't need. the second best is the one that takes care of the problem without undue delay, charges, or run-around. S&W has lived up to that in my experience, and ruger is mentioned by others as doing the same.

Peggy is right when warranty is not available, the collector of older firearms soon learns that extra parts and the ability to repair are required. I collect (among many others) Star pistols, have eighty or so of varied models. Several of these were purchased as "donor" pistols to keep their brothers running. Newer pistols that are under warranty should go back to the factory as if you mess it up first they may tell you tough luck.

S&w warranty only started with guns made after 1989. And it only applies to the original owner, although they don't always ask. So my 67-1 isn't covered if something breaks. Although a 1990 Model 64, that uses most of the same parts, would be covered. They just discontinued warranty for the 3rd gen pistols. Ruger will sell you a new pistol or revolver at half MSRP if the older model gun you have is no longer serviced. S&W is not gonna sell you a new M&P Shield for 200 bucks if your 3913 breaks and can't be fixed. So while S&w has a good warranty, it's not as good as Ruger's service.

Customer service costs money. Guns that cost less, leave the company less leeway to support the customer. Not surprising that something gives.

(You know, and maybe that's why Springfield Armory charges more for the XD than the original importer did, and why that original importer is no longer in business.

"Unnh! No fair! Ripoff, man!")

I been shooting Rugers before Rugers were consider a GOOD quality gun.
Their products and service are outstanding.
I have never paid for a part or a repair outside of a barrel that was clearly damaged by abuse.
They charged me for the part but not one dime to install the barrel.
I have had dealing with other manufactures and Ruger has always been a pleasure to deal with.

You do realize that Rossi wanted $50 to ship the gun to them? Nothing was said about the cost of actual repair

The OP implied that his total cost was $50, after years of use, including using a hammer. If I had to use a hammer to fire a new gun, I wouldn't wait years, I'd send it back that day. Under the circumstances $50 seems reasonable to me. In any event the gun is fixed and the OP is keeping it so it seems like a happy ending.:)

I had to pull the hammer on the Rossi back to work through whatever binding I was experiencing while pulling the trigger in double action.

I did not take a hammer to the revolver:)

I agree, if I get the Rossi back in perfect working order, I will be glad I paid the shipping. Especially after all this time.

Mellow_c: Well here’s what I’m getting out of your post. You had to deal with mediocre to poor customer service from Rossi (‘he sounded like he was about ready to go home to put it nicely.’) and then you got to deal with very good customer service from Ruger.

Both guns are going back to the factory.

You are not seething about the bad Rossi experience. You are not staying up all night fashioning Rossi dolls and sticking needles in them or eating out your stomach lining. You didn’t throw a tantrum on the phone or take the Rossi representative’s attitude personally.

Either, neither or both guns may get fixed--I can’t see where getting upset would affect this one way or another.

Seems to me you’re having a better time, that is you’re happier, than if you let this upset you. (That’s me being Captain Obvious.)

Also to my way of thinking if you believe in such stuff, you’ve got no bad karma coming your way and you will never have to feel regret or guilt about the way you treated the customer reps.

If I showed your post to certain family members there would be pointed silence while they though to themselves “hey, maybe you could take a lesson”.

Might be you’re living up to your forum name.

Good for you.

Rossi is owned by Taurus now and you get the same quality control and lifetime warranty. I don't care for Taurus auto pistols but have had great luck with every revolver I've had of theirs but one. I bought a 605 and never even fired mag ammo through it. It was always out of tike and the cylinder had terrible play in every direction. I sent it back twice and the second time they just sent me a new gun that functioned perfectly. The turn around was always super fast and they were always pleasant and easy to deal with.

I broke the firing pin on my 22/45 during reassembly and Ruger paid for shipping and repairs. Apparently, it's something that happens quite frequently and they give everybody a free pass for the first time;at least that's I was told by my shops owner. Nevertheless, they had a repaired and back to me within eight or nine days. In my opinion, if a company pays for shipping, takes less than two weeks and the gun comes back repaired; that company has excellent customer service.

I don't have any experience with Rossi customer service, but I can speak from experience that Ruger is great. I have also read many great reviews about Ruger customer service on other forums as well.

My Red Label threw an extractor one day during a dove shoot.

The LGS where I bought the gun shipped it to Ruger for me, and Ruger replaced both extractors and sent me a set of choke tubes in a Ruger branded zipper pouch free of charge, shipped back to MY door, in the space of about two weeks.

Also, through the same LGS, they sent me a beech 10/22 stock after I outgrew the "boat oar" stock that came on mine when Pops gave it to me for Christmas.

The older gentleman who owned said store charged me $5.

Back