Custom super redhawk

rallyhound

So I have a stainless super redhawk I bought cheap several years ago.
I never really liked it and do not hunt with hand guns. I found it to heavy for play shooting or holster carry when bumming the woods.

So I dropped i off at Ahlmans and told the gunsmith to make me somthing cool.

here is the email he sent me.

Steve

We will shorten the barrel to the length of your front sight, reinstall the sight and mill flats on the sides of the barrel to remove lettering. After porting the barrel using slots we will matte finish the entire revolver polish the slab sides and cylinder bright. We will leave the cylinder flutes matte finish. The action job will be done after the finishing work.

Job total $ 452.00

Please contact us with questions and to authorize this work.

George .

How does that sound to you guys, anything I should add...
The price seems fair.

So you've got a revolver that's too heavy for any use you'd put it to.

Fair enough.

Then you propose to sink $450 on superficial cosmetic changes that won't make it significantly lighter. In other words, $450 later it will still be too heavy for any use you'd put it to.

If it's not for you, fine, but sell it to somebody who does hunt with a handgun, take that money plus the $450 and buy something you actually can use.

Over the years I have bought and built a number of Rugers (Custom)made to my liking . I have shot the hell out of them all and have no regrets . BUT if this is something you will not really shoot a bunch(and love) it is a waste of time and money .
The money spent is of no value to (almost) no one else . If you are just looking for some thing cool this is not it .

Porting on a short barrel is next to worthless IMO, especially on a heavy-framed handgun like the SRH. Ditch the porting and you've got an inexpensive route to a Ruger almost-Alaskan revolver.

If recoil is an issue (I doubt it is), shortening the barrel and moving the sight (as described in your OP), and then also installing a brake beyond it might make sense...

And also look cooler and give you a bigger fireworks show than the porting.
:-)

Nice, light brake; maybe something like this:

http://www.operatorchan.org/k/src/147758428092.jpg

PS: natman is correct that the SRH is a heavy revolver, and will still be heavy after the changes. However, I've found that when the weight is concentrated in and above the hand (rather than also out in a long barrel), it can make the gun feel a lot lighter than you'd think from just the actual loss of ounces.

Last edited:
I can only think of a few things to add:

A wide brimmed panama hat, over-sized link gold plated necklace, Big black over-sized sunglasses, a pink 1970s Cadillac with white fur upholstery and lots of chrome on it.

It's your gun but it would be a better deal to sell it and get something you will like and shoot.

I don't care for porting or two tone finishes but the rest would be fine for a hunting gun. For your purposes, I don't think it's going to make enough difference. I'd suggest selling it and buying something in a more packable weight range. Like a four inch N frame Smith.

I can only think of a few things to add:

A wide brimmed panama hat, over-sized link gold plated necklace, Big black over-sized sunglasses, a pink 1970s Cadillac with white fur upholstery and lots of chrome on it.

It's your gun but it would be a better deal to sell it and get something you will like and shoot.
I don't even know what all this crap is supposed to mean. You think a bead blasted Super Redhawk is a pimp gun? :confused::confused::confused:

I don't even know what all this crap is supposed to mean. You think a bead blasted Super Redhawk is a pimp gun?

From the OP:

After porting the barrel using slots we will matte finish the entire revolver polish the slab sides and cylinder bright. We will leave the cylinder flutes matte finish.

So, yeah, kind of. Certainly calls for spending a lot of money to make the gun ostentatious without actually addressing any of it's perceived shortcomings.

That was kind of my point. Dressing a gun up when it is too heavy to shoot is mostly a cosmetic thing and won't make it easier to shoot. The porting will help but shortening the barrel and slabbing the sides will take some of that help away.

Price is excellent !! Its your gun ...you should do what you want with it...( I have a S&W 629 ( .44 Mag ) Trail Boss, 3", RSR gun, that is ported ).

The porting makes a big difference in muzzle jump when you shoot it in double action....and I like it .../ and it makes it a little louder as well..but not so much you can't shoot it.

That was kind of my point. Dressing a gun up when it is too heavy to shoot is mostly a cosmetic thing and won't make it easier to shoot. The porting will help but shortening the barrel and slabbing the sides will take some of that help away.
Uh, if the gun is too heavy, then shortening and slab siding the barrel will certainly be efforts towards the goal of reducing weight. Porting does nothing for that. All it does is redirect recoil more into the hand. Do you even know what you're talking about?

So, yeah, kind of. Certainly calls for spending a lot of money to make the gun ostentatious without actually addressing any of it's perceived shortcomings.
Polishing the barrel flats and cylinder constitute "spending a lot of money"? Have you ever shipped a handgun to a gunsmith? The OP has already saved at least $200 just by dropping the gun off. Polishing the barrel flats and cylinder are going to be very little compared to the rest. If you consider that "ostentatious", what could you possibly think about a full polished finish, engraving or exhibition grade wood stocks? Are all your guns flat black to avoid being "ostentatious"? What finish would be less likely to offend your delicate sensibilities? This is why I don't spend much time on forums, too many uninformed people sharing their opinion when they shouldn't be.

My question would be, with a decent trade in value and the $452 the OP expects to pay for the customization, is there something else out there that would trip his trigger more? I thinking one would be looking at about $8-850 worth of gun. Lotta guns out there I would jump on other than customizing a gun I don't like or enjoy. In the end, the gun will probably never have a resale value any higher than it did when it was original. BTJM. The OP may be looking for something no one else has, and he certainly will have it if he goes the route stated. While it may not improve the shooting, it may make for a easier packing gun for SD when hiking or as a backup when hunting. As for the cosmetics and whether or not it's a pimp gun? Is what the Op is doing any different than engraving or puttin' Ivory grips on it? Folks need to step down from the pedestal that denotes them as the authority on what constitutes a decent firearm to somebody else. As for being uniformed, folks don't need much information to decide what looks good and works for them. Folks are entitled to an opinion, but they are not entitled to trashing the opinion of others.

jackmoser65

200.00 SHIPPING REALLY . I live in the middle of this country and can ship a handgun anyplace in the lower 48 for less then $30.00 .

I live in the middle of this country and can ship a handgun anyplace in the lower 48 for less then $30.00 .
My guess,
1. Either your dealer does not charge you for the transfer and/or he is shipping it uninsured.
2. You are not declaring a firearm and not shipping overnight / next day with UPS or FedEx.

Jim

Last edited:
My guess,
1. Either your dealer does not charge you for the transfer and/or he is shipping it uninsured.
2. You are not declaring a firearm and not shipping overnight / next day with UPS or FedEx

Then your guess would be wrong .
I box the firearm so it can be seen by my FFL . He finishes the packing and ships it U.S.P.S. WITH INS. He charges me 20/25 bucks yes Jack one way .

Then your guess would be wrong .
I box the firearm so it can be seen by my FFL . He finishes the packing and ships it U.S.P.S. WITH INS. He charges me 20/25 bucks yes Jack one way .

I don't think so because that does not add up.
USPS medium flat rate box = $14
Adult signature required = $5
Insurance for $600 gun = $8
Transfer fee = ?

So if he only charges you 20 to 25 then he ain't charging you a transfer fee.

For me to ship a $1.2K gun with $25 transfer fee cost $63 and that's me getting the box and packing it up.

Jim

Last edited:
Back