Custom Guardian? Anyone own one?

Stoic

I have a stock NAA Guardian and am interested in sending it for customization to NAA. Has anyone sent their Guardian to NAA for custom work? I am thinking about the following modifications. Advice, Experience, Opinions?

meltNEW.jpg

CARRY PACKAGE
The NAA Carry Package, known by some as a 'meltdown' or 'dehorning', involves a comprehensive softening of all the crisp lines characteristic of a production gun. Most noticeably, both front and rear sights and the connecting rib are removed, followed by a generous breaking and blending of all 90 degree edges, most pronounced at the muzzle end. The profile of the trigger as well as the interior edges of the trigger guard are arched as gently as the geometry allows and the trigger is high-polished (unless otherwise requested). Any visible tool marks or casting lines/blemishes are removed and the pistol is refinished to the original production style (glass bead blasted with buffed slide and barrel). $99.00

I'm also thinking about frame stippling:

stiplNEW.jpg

FRAME STIPPLING
A random pattern of closely cropped impressions are hand-tooled with multiple-sized carbide bits to maximize non-slip texture of the frame. Available for front and rear strap and forward trigger guard applications.

* CS32-FSB     Back Strap $30.00
* CS32-FSF    Front Strap $25.00
* CS32-FST    Trigger Guard Front $25.00. Not Shown.
CS32-FSP    Stippling package $75.00 (includes Front, Back and Trigger

I am also interested in installing new sights:

gd2.jpg

S32-ASHBT Ashley Express, Big Dot Tritium Sight Set. (White epoxy front, .160 diameter, with a tritium insert.) $129.00

[Edited by Stoic on 04-20-2001 at 03:01 PM]

I am also interested in knowing why "sights" and aimed fire are even necessary on this compact mini auto. I can't understand why anyone would require aimed fire using the Guardian. At the range, I practice point shooting with it. However, I wonder whether improved sights might not have a safety benefit in increasing the accuracy of the firearm when deployed and innocent bystanders are in the area. :)

maybe not the sights

IMHO...
The carry package might be nice to deburr those few sharp edges.

As fot the stippling, I am not sure as to the overall benefit.

The new ashley sights sure look nice, but I would agree that for this class of gun the sights may not be needed. I have always looked at pocket pistols as a short distance weapon. Everything from point blank range to 10 yds.

Sure they could be used at 15-20 yds, but if I have this much space, I am hopefully trying to extricate myself, not engage in a protracted gun battle.

I think the carry package is your best bet.

But you make the choice what you want and can afford. If they all are desired, and you can afford it, then by all means do it. It can't hurt, and will certainly make your guardian more unique.

Good Luck.

Tree,

Thanks for the comments. I think that sights on this type of gun are not even worthwhile for the reasons that you've suggested.

If anyone can justify sights for this weapon, please advise. :) :0

I have a Guardian that I sent to SM&A for their Pocket Carry Package. They do some reliability work, dehorn the pistol all over, and remove the sights entirely. It's a nice package overall. The only problem is that I like the Keltec P32 more than the Guardian, it has less felt recoil, and it's much lighter and flatter. If I had a Keltec P32 before I got the Guardian, I'd have never gotten it, or spend any extra money on it!

Johnwill,

Did you see the "porting" option that NAA offers for the Guardian. If you have a complaint about recoil, then you might consider having the ports done to your Guardian. I compared the P32 and Guardian. I like the Guardian better. It's all personal preference. However, you have to admit that your Guardian is a better looking firearm with great workmanship.

BARREL PORTING
Four 1/16" diameter holes surrounded by a recessed apron, designed to moderate muzzle flip for quicker reacquisition of sight picture (primarily cosmetic, modest performance effect).
Not available with Novak sights.

$90.00

port2.jpg

My complaint isn't necessarily about muzzle rise, though that's a concern. Even though the Guardian is quite a bit heavier than the Keltec P32, the felt recoil on the P32 is significantly less. I'm also not a fan of ports on a defensive gun, since I may be shooting without eye protection, and that could be an unplesant experience!

If you decide to get sights, consider the Ashley over the gutter snipe. You want a nice big sight you can find and align quick and easy on this gun. No precision shooting required. Those gutter snipes look smooth and snag free, but they also look like some searching for the front sight might be needed before you could make use of them. I have a set of Ashley standard dot sights on a BHP and am very happy with them. If you're going to put sights on a pocket gun, these are the ones. One caution: will the sights fit in your holster?

If the pistol turns in your hands while shooting, the stipling may help. Otherwise I wouldn' think you would need it.

For what it's worth, I had a great experience with NAA work. I sent my Guardian in to NAA to correct a feeding problem and repair/replace a magazine that was splitting. It came back rebuilt from the ground up, many original tooling marks hidden under the slide removed, feed ramp glass smooth, FOUR new magazines, new trigger, new hammer, new springs, new mag release, about a 4# lighter trigger pull, a much smoother trigger pull, new stainless grip screws,....The only thing they didn't do was melt it down and put on a set of Ashley sights! I was one happy camper when I got it back.

Does anyone carry their NAA Guardian in a Pocket holster? Also, has anyone had any problems with room in the holster with the addition of new sights? :) :) :)

I carry my Guardian in a "dragonhide" pocket holster I bought from NAA. They still offer the design, but not the material (which is a synthetic) at their website. Works great. I had my gunsmith grind the rear "sight" off my Guardian and have applied a touch of blaze orange enamel to the front sight.

I don't know what the purpose would be of dehorning this little pistol and than adding rough stippling to the frame and protruding sights to the slide. Seems like it's kind of contradictory. I can see the advantages in a pistol that will be carried in some kind of holster, outside the pocket, but not something that still has to clear the pocket for a draw.

Nuts!!!

JMO,

Buy it...put it in your pocket...the end!

Sites on one of these is just rediculous!!!
just rediculous!

This is one gun you "should" melt yourself.
Dremel...low speed.

Spend as little as you can on it or you will definately regret it some day soon...

They do have "very" pretty pictures ay NAA...but ...
Dress up a gun you "want" to be seen.
Prettying one of these is a waste.
It's like putting pearls on a pig.
JMO,
Stocky
PS Nice gun though...

I got the SM&A custom thing done to my Guardian. The only off package thing that I did was to have them keep the stock sights. They're very small and practical. No sights seemed odd and high-end sights seemed like a waste.
I think that the positive things were reshaping the trigger and smoothing up the action a little. I'd go for it if you're not real concerned about $200+, but wouldn't sweat it if not.
The P32 does shoot more nicely, but neither one of these guns are what you'd be spending hours at the range with. I like them both a lot, but would get the Guardian if I could only get one. I feel confident that it'll last at least as long as me whereas the P32 might or it might not.
As far as back pocket carry, I'd take a look at using a left hand model in the right pocket (for right handers) or a right hand model in the left pocket (for left handers). It seems be easier to draw that way. Just be sure not to never shoot yourself.

Hi all. After some thought, I've decided, if anything, to go with just the Carry Package that dehorns the Guardian and removes the sights which are useless on this firearm. Anything else is vanity rather than function. I put new Hogue/NAA smooth wood grips on the Guardian and it's the best thing that I ever did to improve this firearm since they allow me to have a better grip and purchase on this weapon than the stock grips. By the way, the Guardian really is one firearm that doesn't really need any modifications out of the box for the use intended. It's a quality product and will likely last forever.

Back