Current lever actions

Aside from the "cowboy action shooting" desire for "authentic" looks, is there anything functionally wrong with the tube feeding mechanisms of Henry's?

I have several Henry levers in .22's, a .45 Colt & .357. Aside from the Henry Big Boy Steel's dislike for cycling .38 Special wadcutters, I see nothing at all wrong. I like the tube feeding, as it is far easier on the "getting older by the minute" arthritic hands.

This will be my first lever action firearm unless you count my first Daisy BB gun.

I am far removed from being an expert.

I can only assume the advantage to the side loading gate is the ability to quickly load an additional round in the heat of battle. I doubt I will find myself in such a predicament.

The Miroku built Winchester 1873 with the octagon barrel in a 38/357 is a very hard gun to beat. Very close to the original in all respects and extremely smooth action. Mine draws lots of attention whenever I drag it to the range.

You can combat/tactical load the Henry. Open the bolt, drop a round in the chamber, close the bolt and fire.

The tube-loading doesn't kill the Henrys for me, it's just an alternative route to the same destination. :)

Not designed or intended to be a combat arm, a quick reload doesn't have that much significance on the hunt, and if you need another fast shot after you've emptied your rifle you just do the combat load Targa mentions.

Was watching Fist Full Of Dollars again last night.
In the duel at the end between Winchester & Colt, where No Name & Ramon are down to loading one final round to determine who lives, Ramon makes the tactical error of stuffing his round through the side loading port and cycling it through the action.

Might quite possibly still be alive today if he'd direct-chamber-loaded that Model 92 instead, and you can do it just as easily with a Henry as a Winchester. :)
Denis

Right now I own 6 lever action rifles. Two 30-30s, Marlin 39A, 32, 357 and 44 mag. I have owned a bunch of 30-30s when I used to buy them $100 each. I would sell them for $150 and regret ever selling a single one of them. I had a 45/70 for a while. Killed one deer with it. I also had a Savage 99E I bought just a few years ago for $250 OTD from a pawnshop. Boy was it ugly with its blonde hardwood stock. I refinished the stock and and looked a lot better. I should never have sold it. It was a 243 with a 20" barrel drilled and tapped for a scope and open sights. Oh well.

I really like lever guns and will buy any I see for decent price. I have looked at the new Henry's and they definitely have my attention. I really want a 22 mag. Someday.;)

I am watching closely for the release of the 327 magnum Henry. It is a perfect caliber for a lever gun and I am surprised it has taken this long for a manufacturer to bring one to production. I am looking forward to my first Henry.

I received my Henry Big Boy Carbine in .45 Colt yesterday. It was nicer than I expected.

I am not sure how Henry assigns their serial numbers, but mine is BBR002941C. I am wondering it is the 2,941 rifle produced in that style and caliber.

It was my first purchase from Buds Gun Shop. I had heard good things about Buds. It certainly was a pleasure to do business with them.

Last summer I picked up a used Marlin in 357 , I believe a 2008 model. I had wanted one for quite a while and they are very hard to find used around here. Then just last night I bought a new Henry Big Boy Silver in 357. Seems like the Henrys really get a lot of praise these days and I finally had to see for myself!

Lucas... the 32 Win seems like a bit of overkill for gophers... I got my first deer with my step fathers 32 model 94 Win. But then again if the kill vs. cost per round was right it's all good.

His gun was over stocked (he was 6'6" vs. my 4'6") and well worn but I lifted the rack off the buck and he was in our freezer that day.

Currently I have 3 levers in my battery.. All Marlins.. an 1894 357 (not so good... stiff) an 1894 44 Mag. (good gun). and an 1895SS 45-70...you better watch out.

The 357 and 44 were both bought at the same time at the same place. I've also owned a Winchester 9422 that was "tempermental".

A good lever gun is to be respected or ignored at your own peril. A good one is to be trusted in both East Coadt and West Coast Short / Medium range terrain where shots can be from 20 yards snap to 200 yards open.

I love the levers...Winchester and Rossi are my favorites, although I have Marlins...I have no desire to have one of the tube fed Henry's, and I would buy the BLR before I would the Henry Long Ranger.

SHR70, you misunderstood my post. I TRAPPED gophers to earn money to buy my rifle. No I wasn't shooting gophers with it. LOL They were pocket gophers that I trapped and there was a bounty on them. 99.8% of the time they spend underground in there tunnels. I am 74 yrs old and have farmed and lived around pocket gophers all my life. I have only seen a pocket gopher above ground 2 times in my life, and they weren't up long enough to get a shot at them even if you were ready.
Have a good day and hope you have a target rich experience.

Just bought a Big Boy 44 Mag saturday. On top of being a fine looking rifle its very accurate and the recoil is nothing like I expected considering its a 44mag. Great gun. American made and quality throughout. When it comes to lever action rifles I think there is a new sheriff in town. You can call him Henry. :)

Back