Curious, what's the BEST handgun safety design?

1911 with a kimber style firing pin block.:eek: I just wish someone like Dan Wesson was making it so quality/well-timed parts were being used!:rolleyes:

If you defeat a grip safety, thumb safety and pull the trigger, you meant to fire the gun!

What's more, this has proven to be the fastest gun to get into use with an accurate first shot.:cool:

Last, it has a good drop safety. **A Ti firing pin is not a bad drop safety either.

I like Glocks, but they rely too much on a good holster.:mad:

I like XD's too. I see it's action and trigger as basically an improved Glock. :cool:

DA/SA. . .Is basically a way to make people whom are scared of a cocked hammer feel safe at the expense of 1st/2nd round transition struggle.:rolleyes: Don't slaughter me, this is just my opinion. Heck, even Sig makes SAO guns to compete with!

IF you were building a gun from scratch, what features would you incorporate in the design of YOUR new pistol?

"IF"... I were to push a firearm towards the drawing table and on to testing and production- I think I would have to look hard at boards and questions/answers like this post. To me, S&W M&P and sig to a degree has pulled off a pretty neat trick. They leave room for various safety features that the customer can choose to have included on the model they buy. Why have one set design and tell John Q "this is it- take it or leave it."? Wouldn't it be better to have choices and different models?

I'd go vote the USP and FNP45 type of safety. I just think it's the most versatile safety design and that it can accommodate almost any shooter, from no active safety types to sweep down 1911 guys to decocked with safety on. I think there is a strength there in that anyone can pick it up and carry it their way with little or no retraining. That's a big deal to me, and it's partially why my former agency used them in the 90's until 2011. Well, that among many other reasons, but still that.

Anyone here (with experience using them) like the FNH Five-Seven pistol safety style? They put it right above the trigger (ambidextrous) and it is flicked down as you move your finger from the ready position on top of the safety to the trigger. I find it to be the most intuitive active/selectable safety design I've used, even though we're all used to thumb safeties. It has the added bonus of more or less forcing you to keep your finger on the right spot when you draw. But then our import laws went and screwed it up by forcing FNH to add a magazine-safety to the thing :rolleyes:

TCB

Back