Curious revolver

I would have to say that it looks quite similar to what was described as a "burglar alarm gun" sold in 1907.
I get this from my latest issue of G&A (May 2010) <top of page 31>
I can only guess that the smooth bore would be acredited to either the guns age or that it was meant to fire some kind of shot, rather than a bullet. (or was meant for blanks)
shoot safe, shoot straight, shoot often
Dingo​

The Curious Revolver...the saga continues.

A buddy of mine has the exact same revolver, with the same markings as you've described. In addition, on his there is also a U with a double crown. The gun is most definitely German. The first crown represented the Beschuss pressure test, the second crown belonged to the Untersuchung inspection of the arm's parts that had been the subject to the high pressure. Based on the proof marks, it was made between 1891 and 1899. The German proof houses from that time period may have been the Ulm or Obendorf inspections. My friend believes that it was made to be mounted on a boat/ship and used as a sounder. Both he and I would be curious to know if you have found out anything else in the past several years...

Looks like the guns they used to knock scale off of coking ovens.
Or used to fire shot for cleaning smoke stacks. It is my understanding that firearms like this were purpose built so they would be hard to sneak out of the workplace and difficult to operate one-handed. It could explain it's excessive weight, lack of a traditional grip and odd trigger.

I thought I posted this before somewhere but can't find it anymore. The DWJ had an article clearly identifying these guns as part of model ships. These were typically of German battle ships, about 3-4 m (10-14 ft) long, with a guy inside that steered them in mock battles. The string trigger allowed for realistic powder puffs from the turret barrels when firing black powder blanks.

Back