Cross draw vs FBI cant?

In town I'm carrying concealed, so I carry on my strong side, and most of my holsters are set up for FBI cant. In the woods I'm usually open carry, wearing a pack or a rifle or both, and some time about 28 years ago I decided to carry cross-draw. Mostly this was for comfort reasons, as camp chairs and the ground don't necessarily lend themselves to strong-side holsters with full-size revolvers in them. On the other hand, cross-draw is almost unnoticeable when seated. The other problem with strong-side carry occurs when I've got anything bigger than a day-pack on my back, or my rifle is hanging there with the buttstock banging against my sidearm with every other step.

And it's not slow; in fact, I'm pretty sure I'm a tenth or two faster pulling cross-draw. Which makes sense to me, anyway.

When I draw from a strong-side holster, my feet are about shoulder-width apart with my left foot about a half step in front of my right.

I pull almost vertically until the muzzle clears leather (about 8 inches, but my elbow travels over a foot), at which time I rotate the gun about 90 degrees and begin pushing out and up to the target. My support hand, which was palm against my belly, comes in from the side and (if I did everything right) clasps my strong hand and continues up to my eye-level.

From cross-draw, my body is almost completely bladed towards the target, with my left foot a full step in front of my right. My support hand is again on my belly, but I'm drawing back and up at about a 45 degree angle. The gun again moves about 7-8 inches, but now my elbow only travels about the same 8 inches, as it didn't have to scissor much at all to create that movement. Once my muzzle clears leather, I only need to rotate the muzzle about 45 degrees before I begin pushing up and out.

So from a purely physical point-of-view, cross-draw should be faster, as I'm simply moving the gun and my arm through less space, as well as rotating it through fewer degrees of arc.

YMMV of course. At any rate, I can draw just as fast if not faster from cross-draw as I can from strong-side. It just took some practice. Others results may not be the same, I suppose.

By the way, I'm not recommending that everyone should be carrying cross-draw; I'm just saying that when I'm in the field, cross-draw just works better for me and what I'm usually doing.

However, for EDC, cross-draw probably isn't always going to be a good idea. As others have mentioned , it's going to be harder to conceal a weapon with the butt posing as a tumor in the middle of your belly. And you may sweep some folks if you had to draw from a cross-draw holster. Also, if you plan to carry a compact gun in that cross-draw, the muzzle might just be pointed right at your hip inside your pants. Assuming anyone makes an IWB cross-draw holster. Don't think I've ever seen one?

Last edited:
Rangerrich99

Nice post, a little advice.

When drawing from the strong side, instead of lifting the pistol upwards, rather push it forward in a punch, to point of aim, when your hands stop moving, your eye is behind the sight, eye level.

Then the pistol fires, the trigger is being depressed, and at the moment the hands stop moving, the pistol fires. How to practice? Lots of dry firing.

Nice post, a little advice.

When drawing from the strong side, instead of lifting the pistol upwards, rather push it forward in a punch, to point of aim, when your hands stop moving, your eye is behind the sight, eye level.

Then the pistol fires, the trigger is being depressed, and at the moment the hands stop moving, the pistol fires. How to practice? Lots of dry firing.

@Brit;

Thanks, both for the compliment and the advice.

I'll start practicing that next week.

A cross draw second pistol was plenty ok for a lot of serious shootists back when the sixgun was king.
Like most things, how safe or effective it is depends on who is carrying it.

Last edited:
I usually have my reins in my left hand and never get beat up by my pistol. Mine rides at about 10:30 with a 15 degree cant.

I like crossdraw for a small J-Frame when I'm driving long distances. It's the only time I carry in that fashion. It's just must faster and easier to access when seated unless I have my primary in the console holster; which I typically have both when traveling. There is no sweeping when practicing from this angle since the drawn pistol is already pointed at the most likely threat vector being the driver's door/window.

ROCK6

I'm a big fan of cross-draw holsters (Galco, Mernickle are my favorites). I suggest that even ankle holsters are "cross draw" type holsters. With cross draw holsters, my weapon is accessible whether I'm driving, sitting in a restaurant, walking...I own a variety of shoulder, belt and ankle (if you agree with my premise) cross draw holsters and they are my overwhelming preference for speed, comfort and and smooth weapon acquisition.
Dangerous? If I ever have to draw my weapon, danger already surrounds me.

Strong-side FBI cant is great in a lot of situations and could be better than cross draw in some of them. The only time I carry "cross" is when I'm shoulder-carrying. Shoulder carry has some strong situational benefits. It can be both easier and more comfortable to carry some weapons concealed in a shoulder holster while wearing the right clothes in the right weather, etc. It can also allow for an easier and quicker draw when seated. This might be a big deal if you work behind a cramped desk or spend a lot of time in the car. I think the safety concerns can be trained around to a reasonable extent and apply more to horizontal carry than they do vertical. The bottom line is it's all relative to you.

Back