Critical Defense vs Critical Duty - does it matter for CCW?

That doesn't tell me anything.

The FBI adopts the 10mm.

The FBI adopts the 9mm.

The FBI adopts the .40S&W.

The FBI adopts the Glock.

The FBI adopts the S&W 1076.

All that shows me is the FBI likes to spend money and can't make their mind up.
Yeah, about the only thing I agree with the FBI on is the penetration depths of 12 to 18 inches in gel and even that depends on circumstances. Like, for a pocket .380, I'm not expecting to be shooting at someone's side and through his arm to get to his vitals or central nervous system, it's a point and shoot at someone facing me. I don't need 12 inches of penetration in that situation, 11 inches is more than enough.

There are many police departments in the US using S&W, Sig, Glock, etc. Does every time a sheriff's department switch between those guns mean it "tells us something?" The vast majority of the time a change like that is made it's due to budgets or politics and rarely because of actual performance increases.

WWB 124 NATO. It’s hot. Close to +p.
Yep, over 1220 fps according to my PACT chrono from a 3.9 bbl'd Sig P229/M11A1. But it's still a 9mm, and recoil is just not a serious factor. Rod

I personally try to use the same weight in my revolvers & pistols. If I'm shooting 357 in mag ammo like Hornady, I'll practice with either 110 gr. XTP 357's or 125 gr. XTP 357 ammo and that's what I carry for SD. Not worried about apt. walls or such because I don't live in an apt. But, I use the same ammo for my 2" & use heavier gr in my 686+. I hope this came out right.
Same for my Glocks. use 124 gr 9mm for target & 124 gr HST for SD.
Whatever you practice with try & use the same weight in SD. Then there are no surprises & your body's memory retention is apt & no surprises.

The FBI just adopted the 9mm Critical Duty as their main load.

That should tell you something.

Considering the current state of the FBI's integrity, it tells me to stay with my Winchester Defend carry load.....

That doesn't tell me anything.

The FBI adopts the 10mm.

The FBI adopts the 9mm.

The FBI adopts the .40S&W.

The FBI adopts the Glock.

The FBI adopts the S&W 1076.

All that shows me is the FBI likes to spend money and can't make their mind up.
Yep.
NEVER base a decision on what a government agency does. Their priorities and rationale are quite different than those of us in the real world

I could argue this either way, technically or more of a real world way.

I think that any good quality ammo that works well in your home defense gun is probably fine.

Right now I happen to have Hornady critical Defense in mine, but that's just what I happen to have. I recently used up a box of Federal hydra's.

My 9 is loaded with Rem Golden Sabres.

I just make sure I have a premium ammo in the loaded guns, and I feel quite safe.

Back