Criminal Taser use. How to defend?

mvpel, can the taser once attaced, and discharged, can you press the trigger again, and rezap, for five seconds? This is from memory, I thought, that it can zap ultiple people wuo are hodling hands, making a circuit, but the way it was supposed to be used by LE, was an officer tases? a subject, stands back, and other officers can touch the subject, applying restraints, and not get zapped, letting the officer with the device, apply an extra jolt if needed to further restrain the subject. This is from memory, and could be wrong. It seems then that a person holding the unit could zap you repeatedly, while applying heavy plastic wire zip clips, used to tie up wire bundles.

Danindetroit,

Your understanding is correct. The Taser can be reactivated, triggering another five second cycle. (with the latest generation the trigger can just be held down to continue the cycle as well). With regards to hands on during a cycle, if you get a hand on, or directly between the probes you can get a shock, but other than that you can touch the subject. The biggest problem with cuffing while the Taser is being applied is that the muscle contraction caused by the Taser gets in the way sometimes (and then again, sometimes it doesn't). Confronted by a criminal with a Taser, you must assume that he or she has the capacity to incapacitate you, and gain control of whatever you may be carrying. Take appropriate action immediately.

Range theory

Of course, someone would point out that the taser has a limited range, and your gun vastly greater, so they would probably make you somehow prove you were within the range of the thing instead of 50 feet away, if they wanted to give you a hard time. I don't know how forensics can prove that you were within range of the taser unless you were close enough to leave particle or powder residue when you fired? Not that I disagree with the use of force against the taser, some creep will probably think of this loophole if they want to hang you.

If I am not mistaken, the taser used by the police has a maximum range of 21 feet. Consequently, the maximum range for justified self defense purposes in most instances is also 21 feet. So if BG is in range to use taser, he is inside the range deemed acceptable by law to use deadly force against him in most cases.

In my case, I have documented heart problems, so I am of the full belief that a taser would most likely kill me as certainly as a gun. So if I get to my gun first, I would protect myself from what I feel would be almost certain death.

I have taken the full 5 second ride fo cert. purposes of "Edisons Medicine". It is much more incapacitating than OC for a short time. I can't even begin to describe the level of pain. If a thug tried to hit me with a taser he would get shot. The range taught is indeed 21 feet. Keep in mind that's manufacturer reccommendations for a good hit. It will indeed reach out a little further before coming to the end of the wire leads.

Last edited:
This is a related question as I think the same answer applies to both, but - you are justified in using deadly force to avoid being overpowered (in, say, a kidnapping) even if your life is not directly/immediately threatened, right?

No-brainer. Shoot him until he can't use the Taser. Tell the police NOTHING EXCEPT "I FEARED FOR MY LIFE." Discuss with your lawyer how to articulate your fear for your life, with the assistance of the posts above.

The issue is NOT shoot/don't shoot. We ALL know the answer is "shoot." The issue is how to present your case, which is to say, how to present what you will represent as your state of mind. This should be done with the assistance of a lawyer competent in such cases.

Back