Crime & Punishment: Does Manson Killer Susan Atkins Now Deserve Mercy??

- In prison, out of prison- it matters not, because her medical bills will be paid by the state no matter where she is.

- Life means life. Life is what you get, and that is what is taken.

- Criminals are not sorry for what they did- they are sorry they have to pay the price.

- Part of the sentence is as a deterrent. If you let them out because the sentence becomes a burden for the convict, is it still a punishment?

I believe Susan Atkins should be shown the exact same level of mercy Sharon Tate and he unborn child were shown. None.
When you are sentanced to "Life" in prison, it means Life as in, 'til you die..It could have been worse, California could have had the death penalty in which case after multiple apeals from the Libs, she would be executed, like, just around the time she died naturally. She and her group showed NO mercy whatever, why in Gods name should society show her any more than she showed?????

I don't think it is a case of Religion. It is a case of the laws that we all have to live by, God doesen't enter into the equation. Jesus said something like "give to Rome that is Romes", IE stating that government holds sway over us but we also need to give God what is his. We as humans are not Gods and to think we are Gods is foolish. Jesus expected us to live by the rules and laws of the Government, which should be fair, not always.. but our best attempt.

Because maybe the son of God would want us to???

This is another reason why I feel so conflicted over this matter.

If you are a true Christian then you must believe that punishment for sins is just. This was a horrible, unspeakable crime. Letting her to ever walk freely again is a gross injustice.

QUOTE:
"Is this not being cruel to this woman? Would it not be right to show her some tender and compassionate human mercy at this point?"

Like the compassion she showed Sharon Tate, I think not

Well, one could make the same argument the other way too, and say imagine if Susan Atkins was your mother, sister, etc....

She does have family, and they have committed no crimes.

And they are not being punished.

She is.

They are free to live, love, and visit her.

Back