Crime & Punishment: Does Manson Killer Susan Atkins Now Deserve Mercy??

LanceOregon

Notorious Charles Manson follower and convicted murderer Susan Atkins recently appealed to the state of California for mercy. For those of you who do not know about her, she was a member of the infamous Charles Manson family, and committed horrific murders using knives at his command.

She has been serving a life sentence since 1971, a total of 37 years now. She is the longest serving female prisoner in the California Penal System.

However, she is now 60 years old, and dying from brain cancer. Well over $1 Million dollars in medical bills have been spent by the state of California to keep her alive so far this year. In addition, since she has to now be in a medical hospital, it is costing the state over $25,000 a month to have armed guards and adequate security at the hospital she is at.

Her circulatory system is failing, and she has had to have one of her legs amputated. So she can no longer walk. The cancer has done significant damage to her brain at this point, and she is now also paralyzed on one side. So she cannot even sit up in bed on her own or even feed herself. She even has great difficulty simply talking now.

She has expressed remorse many times during the past two decades for the murders she committed, and people have reported that she is now a born-again Christian who strongly believes in God. All she is asking for at this point is simple humanitarian mercy, to allow her to die as a free woman, and be able to see the outside world again before she passes away.

However, all of California's state officials have strongly rejected her application for mercy. Not only all officials within the prison system, but even governor Schwarzenegger has said that she must serve out her life sentence in prison.

Is this not being cruel to this woman? Would it not be right to show her some tender and compassionate human mercy at this point?

One thing that state officials have all pointed out in denying Susan Atkins mercy are statements by her admitting that it was she who murdered the pregnant movie star Sharon Tate, then the wife of film director Roman Polanski. And she freely admitted that as she held Sharon Tate down, that Tate begged Atkins to show mercy to her unborn 8 month old fetus still inside her, and spare her life.

Atkins has said that her response to Tate was: " I have no mercy for you." She then proceeded to stab Tate with a large knife 16 times, including many stab wounds going into her swollen pregnant abdomen.

Does her past action thus mean that showing Atkins no mercy now, is thus the right and moral thing to do?? Is this the best way for justice to now be served to her??

If nothing else, in some ways, this matter has become most ironic in nature.

Here is a recent photo of her:

art.atkinsmug.jpg

And here is a news story about this with more details:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/07/15/release.denied/index.html

Her circulatory system is failing, and she has had to have one of her legs amputated. So she can no longer walk. The cancer has done significant damage to her brain at this point, and she is now also paralyzed on one side. So she cannot even sit up in bed on her own or even feed herself. She even has great difficulty simply talking now.
How awful for her. And to think, her victims had to merely suffer through being butchered like farm animals.

Weep weep.

Hey, how about some recent photos of her victims?

I know some will object and call me soft on crime, but lets cut her a break, after she completes her life without parole sentence, she may be buried or her ashes scattered outside the prison walls.;)

Sharon Tate begged Atkins to allow her to live long enough to have her baby, and then Atkins and the others could kill her.

Tate endured that mental torture for hours, and lived in agony for a long while after being stabbed dozens of times.

Sorry, but Atkins had no sympathy for her victims. Atkins is receiving medical care to relieve her suffering which is something Tate never got.

Let her suffer the consequences of her vicious crime. The State is not inflicting any cruel and unusual punishment by keeping her incarcerated as far as I can see. As for the cost, it’s money well spent.

How about mercy for the tax payers? Why are they keeping her alive?
Atkins was sentenced to death, but that was commuted to life in prison when CA did away with capitol punishment.
My question is why would the tax payers have to pay for more than minimal health care for some one sentenced to death?

My question is why would the tax payers have to pay for more than minimal health care for some one sentenced to death?
Perhaps that's the price a majority of CA voters are willing to pay for having sympathy towards those who don't deserve it.

Please excuse my ignorance, but... Aren't most people remorseful, after they get to prison?

Sorry. Don't do the crime, if you can't do the time.

Hey, how about some recent photos of her victims?

Just Google this phrase below if you would like to see a photo illustrating the condition that Susan Atkins left Sharon Tate in:

"based on the picture taken from the murder scene of Sharon Tate"

It is a pretty gruesome photo, I am afraid. However, it is only a fake re-creation of the scene, and not actually a real photo of Sharon Tate. But it accurately depicts what police arriving on the scene found. It is not that hard, actually, to Google the actual crime photo showing Sharon Tate's murdered body. But if you want to see that final photo of Sharon Tate, you will have to Google it on your own.

I guess one can argue that Atkins current fate must be God's will. For the State of California did not inflict this horrible disease upon her.

It would seem to me to be even more merciful if the state of California would simply execute Atkins at this point, and thus end her suffering. To keep her alive at this point seems like the worst possible fate for her to suffer through. And by law, the state has to do everything that it can to maintain her life currently, despite the high cost to taxpayers.

This is actually one of the moral dilemmas raised by the new Batman movie: The Dark Knight, that is opening this weekend:

How should our justice system deal with unspeakable evil? Must those who commit monstrous and inhuman acts be shown no mercy at all by society? And if so, how can we insure that we ourselves are not being contaminated by the evil??

Make a film of the whole ordeal, crime to final convulsions. Show it to juvenile offenders. That is the only good that will come of this.

"Crime & Punishment: Does Manson Killer Susan Atkins Now Deserve Mercy??"

No, she deserves to be where she is, in that she was not previously put to death.

Aren't most people remorseful, after they get to prison?
Most, yes, some, never. Some enjoy it.
She chose her fate. The state had not the will to execute her,and this is what they get, the bills. The victim never got to choose.

Susan, enjoy the Hell you are living in. You made your bed, now sleep in it.
You get no sympathy from me. Sympathy is for people who do good things, not people who do evil stuff like you did.
I think you and Manson should have been hung by your neck until dead, which would have been far more humane than how you killed Sharon Tate.
Rot lady...

Martyn

Just Google this phrase below if you would like to see a photo illustrating the condition that Susan Atkins left Sharon Tate in:

"based on the picture taken from the murder scene of Sharon Tate"
No amount of googling will provide "recent" photos of Sharon Tate or her baby. You might find photos of the crime scene, or recreated photos of same, but nothing "recent." If recent photos were available, you'd find skeletons that you could compare to Susan Atkins, and you would see that over the past decades Susan Atkins has fared considerably better than Tate and her baby.
It would seem to me to be even more merciful if the state of California would simply execute Atkins at this point, and thus end her suffering. To keep her alive at this point seems like the worst possible fate for her to suffer through.
Apparently, CA disagrees. By abandoning the death penalty, CA decided that the worst possible fate for her to suffer through would have been execution.
And by law, the state has to do everything that it can to maintain her life currently, despite the high cost to taxpayers.

This is actually one of the moral dilemmas raised by the new Batman movie: The Dark Knight, that is opening this weekend:

How should our justice system deal with unspeakable evil? Must those who commit monstrous and inhuman acts be shown no mercy at all by society? And if so, how can we insure that we ourselves are not being contaminated by the evil??
Batman movies aside :rolleyes: why should a moral dilemma consider only what we do with a convicted murderer? Why shouldn't that moral dilemma consider the victim?

I see no moral dilemma in making Atkins fulfill her obligation. Atkins committed monstrous and inhuman acts. Society showed her the mercy she deserved in that she received a trial rather than vigilante justice, and if I recall correctly the state (society) paid for her trial and appeal. After her conviction, society paid for her to live decades longer than her victims did, and in much greater comfort than she gave her victims. The issues of mercy and moral dilemma were thus resolved. After that, it became a matter of consequences. She murdered and is paying the consequences. CA abandoned the death penalty for such crimes and now has the foreseeable consequences of that decision.

We had a guy serving a Life sentence at the prison I used to work at, his wife came up to visit him one day, but unfortunetley he had passed away the night before.

We wanted the Lt. to tell the wife the news in the following way.

Bad news your husband is not available for a visit today.

Good new is he completed his sentence.

Back