Creating A Spreadsheet of Handuns

Status
Not open for further replies.

MainStream

Inactive
Hello, fellow gun enthusiasts! My name is Tyler and I live in Virginia. I'm a man of numbers and logistics (boring stuff I know), so being the kind of person I am I decided to try and compile a spreadsheet of various different popular handguns. However I have a relatively low number and was wondering if you guys could lend me a hand. I'm organizing them in order by caliber, so if there is a gun you'd like added I'd greatly appreciate it if it was added under its most popular caliber. For instance, the majority of people who shoot a P226 do not do so in a .357 SIG, so in that case say it is a 9mm. The spreadsheet includes the gun model, brand, capacity, caliber, barrel length, length, width, height, frame material, slide material, and MSRP.

In order for a gun to be added to the spreadsheet it must meet the following criteria:
1. Must be made by a reputable manufacturer or have a proven track record (Glock, P226, etc.)
2. Must be a handgun
3. Must be the original model (For instance the G17 instead of the G17L)

If you're recommending a gun please use the following format:
1. Gun Brand:
2. Gun Model:
3. Gun Caliber:
4. Gun Type (Full Size/Compact/Sub-Compact):

Guns Already Added:

Full Size Handguns:
Magnum Research Desert Eagle
Colt 1911
Colt Commander
Colt Single Action Army
Taurus Judge
Taurus Public Defender
Smith & Wesson Governor
Smith & Wesson 629
Beretta PX4 Storm
Glock 22
Walther PPQ M2
Smith & Wesson 627
HK USP
Hi-Point C9
Walther P38
Browning Hi-Power
Springfield XD9
Glock 17
Ceská Zbrojovka 75
Beretta 92FS
SIG SAUER P226
FN Herstal Five-SeveN
Ruger 22/45

Compact Handguns:
Charter Arms Bulldog
Smith & Wesson M&P40c
Chiappa Rhino
Ruger SP101
Smith & Wesson 637/638/642
Ruger LCR
Colt 1903
Walther PPQ
H&K P2000
SIG SAUER P229
Kel-Tec P-11
Walther PP

Sub-Compact Handguns:
Bond Arms Backup
Kahr CM9
Glock 26
Smith & Wesson M&P Shield
SIG SAUER P938
SIG SAUER P238
Walther PPK/S
Colt Mustang
kel-Tec P3AT
Ruger LCP
Inter Ordinance Hellcat
Beretta Tomcat
Beretta Bobcat
North Amer. Arms 22MS

Thank you for your time :)

Last edited:
I think you need at least one more size classification. In the 1911 platform alone, Colt has offered the full-size (5") M1911A1/Government Model, the 4-1/4" Commander, (size??), the 3-1/2" Officers ACP (Compact?), and the 3" Defender (Sub-compact). Beyond that, other 1911 makers have also offered 6" and 7" "longslide" versions.

All in various calibers.

Is this just firearms available in the U.S.? I know of two 1911 variants that are available in Brazil but not in the U.S.

Please rethink having the gun ONLY in it's most popular caliber. If the gun is available in different calibers that's good information to have.

You might want to start out with one of the handgun reference books.

http://www.amazon.com/Gun-Digest-Sho...words=handguns

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Encyc...guns+blue+book

That would get you a few hundred guns to start out.

I considered that. However, the problem when adding that into a spreadsheet is figuring out how to add that all into one line. Generally when you change calibers it also changes the capacity and occasionally the weight. If you have any ideas please let me know and thank you for the references! :)

I think you need at least one more size classification. In the 1911 platform alone, Colt has offered the full-size (5") M1911A1/Government Model, the 4-1/4" Commander, (size??), the 3-1/2" Officers ACP (Compact?), and the 3" Defender (Sub-compact). Beyond that, other 1911 makers have also offered 6" and 7" "longslide" versions.

All in various calibers.

Is this just firearms available in the U.S.? I know of two 1911 variants that are available in Brazil but not in the U.S.

I honestly can't think of another name for the size classification. If and when it arises maybe then I'll figure out what to call it. As of now I'm grouping them relative to their barrel sizes. As for the "longslide" versions I don't consider those the original models, so I probably won't add them in.

Last edited:
MainStream said:
Must be the original model (For instance the G17 instead of the G17L)
Sure, the G17L is a long slide version of the G17, but so is the G34. And the G19 is a version of the G17 with a shorter slide and grip. Are you going to exclude the G19 and the G34, along with the many other Glocks that are variations on the original model, the G17?

Other guns are the same way: Commander-sized 1911s are the same as full-sized models but with a shorter slide. The SIG P228 was a version of the P226 but with a shorter slide and grip. Etc.

Sure, the G17L is a long slide version of the G17, but so is the G34. And the G19 is a version of the G17 with a shorter slide and grip. Are you going to exclude the G19 and the G34, along with the many other Glocks that are variations on the original model, the G17?

Other guns are the same way: Commander-sized 1911s are the same as full-sized models but with a shorter slide. The SIG P228 was a version of the P226 but with a shorter slide and grip. Etc.

In my mind the G17L is a modified G17. Whereas, the G19 is a compact version of the G17. The commander 1911 would count as it is a compact version of the 1911. Kind of confusing I understand, but I can't think of another way to word it.

Why not break it sown even farther? I would add Revolvers, and their sub-sections, Ie. frame size, number of rounds cylinder would hold, this will vary by frame size, most times, barrel length, caliber, pre WWII post WWII. The list could go on and on.

Too offer a revolver start here are my suggestions:
All are Smith and Wesson products
1- M-27 .357 Magnum 3 1/2" barrel, N frame.
2- M-19 .357 Magnum 4" barrel, K frame.
3- M-60 .38 special/.357 magnum, 2" barrel, J frame.
All of the above are post WWII revolvers.

Hello, fellow gun enthusiasts! My name is Tyler...

Full Size Handguns:
Magnum Research Desert Eagle
Colt 1911
Smith & Wesson 629
Glock 22
Walther PPQ M2
Smith & Wesson 627
Walther PPQ
H&K P2000
Walther P38
Browning Hi-Power
Springfield XD9
Glock 17
Česká Zbrojovka 75
Beretta 92FS
SIG SAUER P226
FN Herstal Five-SeveN
Ruger 22/45

Compact Handguns:
Colt Commander
Charter Arms Bulldog
Smith & Wesson M&P40c
Chiappa Rhino
Ruger SP101
Smith & Wesson 637/638/642
Colt 1903
SIG SAUER P229
Glock 26
Kel-Tec P-11
Smith & Wesson M&P Shield
Walther PP

Sub-Compact Handguns:
Bond Arms Backup
Kahr CM9
SIG SAUER P938
SIG SAUER P238
Walther PPK/S
Colt Mustang
kel-Tec P3AT
Ruger LCP
Inter Ordinance Hellcat
Beretta Tomcat
Beretta Bobcat
North Amer. Arms 22MS

Thank you for your time :)
Tyler, you have several pistols in the wrong classes.

The Walther PPQ (along with the P99) and the HK P2000 are actually classified as compacts.

The Glock 26 and S&W M&P Shield are Subcompacts.

Some possible additions to your list which, by the way, I like the idea of! My apologies if anybody else has mentioned these already, as I have had very bad service and have not seen any updates yep...

Full Size:
Beretta PX4 Storm.
FNH FNX- and FNS-series
Taurus 24/7.
Ruger SR-series.
HK P30, VP9, and USP.
Bersa Thunder 9/40/45.

Compact:
Bersa Thunder 9/40/45 Ultra Compact.

Subcompact:
Taurus PT-111 G2
SCCY CPX 1 & CPX 2

[emoji6]

i think i'd do this in a matrix format:

action type (striker, DA/SA, SA)

barrel length

one sheet for each caliber

then put guns in their relevant box

I have over 8 pages Ion a spread sheet for since 1992 (My first home computer). It was done by hand prior. Use Excel now. It is good to keep records

Type- Manufacturer- Model - Description (leaving space to mods)- serial # - caliber - money spent

You can break it down any way you want once you make the spread sheet.

I also have a page with guns I sold or gifted. I allmy ammo on hand by caliber, type and amount and one for all the military stuff I have collected.

Good luck...Keep current.
Follow Cheapshot's rule...I've been doing it since 1970. Easy to accumulate.

Last edited:
Thank you to everyone! The help is immense and if you mention a gun that someone else has mentioned (I'm looking at you Cyanide ;)) Don't worry. To me that just proves that the gun is reputable. :) I'm adding the guns everyone suggested as we speak. Also the end result is for me to release this to people to help them.

Last edited:
Colt:

Full size:
Government Model - 5" barrel - .45 Automatic
Double Eagle - 5" barrel - .45 Automatic

?? size:
Commander - 4-1/4" barrel - .45 Automatic (originally proposed as a 9mm, but the vast majority are .45)

Compact:
Officers ACP - 3-1/2" barrel - .45 Automatic
M1991A1 Compact - 3-1/2" barrel - .45 Automatic

Subcompact:
Defender - 3" barrel - .45 Automatic
New Agent - 3" barrel - .45 Automatic
Government 380 - 3.25" barrel - .380 Automatic
Pony - 2.75" barrel - .380 Automatic
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Para-Ordnance (later ParaUSA):

Full size:
P14.45 - 5" barrel - .45 Automatic

?? size:
P13.45 - 4-1/4" barrel - .45 Automatic

Compact:
P12.45 - 3-1/2" barrel - .45 Automatic

Subcompact:
P10.45 (later called Warthog) - 3" barrel - .45 Automatic
Slim Hawg - 3" barrel - .45 Automatic

FWIW, I do not consider the Colt Commander to be a compact pistol. With a 4-1/4" barrel and a full-size grip frame, it's as large as or larger than "full-size" duty weapons from several other makers. In addition, Colt offered a less expensive version of the Officers ACP that they called the M1991A1 Compact. So if the manufacturer calls a pistol with a shorter barrel and a shorter grip frame "compact," I don't think a pistol that's significantly larger qualifies.

Armscor (Rock Island Armory) sells three sizes of 1911. Their full-size they cleverly call "FS" (for Full Size). Their Commander-size pistol they call "MS" (for Mid Size). Their Officers ACP size pistol they call "CS" (for Compact Size).

You need more size classifications.

I totally forgot about the Para-Ordnance (ParaUSA) LDA series:

14.45 LDA - 5" barrel, full-size, double stack, double action, .45 Automatic
Tac-Four - 4-1/4" barrel, mid-size, double stack, double action, .45 Automatic
Carry 12 - 3-1/2" barrel, compact, double stack, double action, .45 Automatic
CCW - 4-1/4" barrel, mid-size, single stack, double action, .45 Automatic
CCO - 3-1/2" barrel, compact, single stack, double action, .45 Automatic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back