Crazy thought ?

Correct, my bad. I meant "barrel".

Of course the folks who want such a short concealable gun seldom worry about such things as accuracy. The gun when used would likely be in contact with the "target". Nor do those folks worry about violating gun laws, something our legislators seem to ignore. believing that if they just pass another law, crime will cease..

Jim

Cut down revolvers have been around a long time. This is an original 1860 Colt that only came with an 8 inch barrel. The Danites called them avenging angels.

PmqioE0l.jpg

Back in the 1970s the antigunners line of attack was "Saturday Night Specials"
and they argued revolvers with less than 6" barrels should be outlawed because they were the favorites of criminals. A Republican Senator from the Midwest pointed out all a criminal needed to obtain a short barreled revolver was a hacksaw.

Cutting down a semi-auto would also require timing the barrel to the locking block or locking surfaces / cam / whatever mechanism is used when in full battery. That would entail designing the slide and it's weight to go along with it. With less slide length, less opportunity to produce enough force to reciprocate the slide. That's why this is easier with revolvers or other mechanisms where feeding the next round is not necessary or doesn't depend on gasses or forces from firing. I suppose the ultimate would be a stumpy little "zip gun" that could headspace on the casemouth if needed and really just be strong enough to keep the brass from deforming after firing. But then you'd essentially be holding a little piece of steel an inch long in the case of 9mm. Like modifying a OAL guage for reloading.

Back