Coyotes & Mtn lions

I'm not talking about "needless". And that's a pretty big jump to try to tag those who disagree with you as supporters of animal fighting.

I guess we'll have to wait for someone to lose their life to a Cougar before anything changes.

Dave, where have you been? It's already happened several times. One in Orange County. Can't remember the name of the park - it's up Ortega Hwy before you get into the canyon. Child was killed by a cat.

For those that 'think' we should 'live with them', I suggest you get a few facts under your belt. The mountain cats in Califoria are a serious menace to humans and animal populations. The sheep were mentioned, but they are not the only ones. Like the deer in the North East, the populations are exploding because of such asinine emotionalism, to the detriment of both human and animal populations, and, of course, to the detriment of the very animal that the non-thinkers want to protect.

Similar problems exist with coyotes in some areas. And neither the cats nor the coyotes are anywhere near being in danger of extinction. But if they are not brought under control, other species WILL be.

Oh, Erich, firecrackers are illegal in California, too. :(

I think we have a similar opinion but a different definition of "live with them." By "live with them" I mean that we should not hunt them to below sustainable populations. However, I certainly believe that hunting and self defense should be permitted.

There was also a human kill not far from Palm Canyon Campground in Anza-Borrego. And another in Cayamuca Park. A Park Ranger told me about them, but they never made the papers.

I don't think that anyone in this thread has suggested hunting the cats to extinction. The point is that as their numbers rise, the risk of attack or property loss to these animals grows substantially. As others have said, they are losing their fear of man, which I hope you can see is a bad thing.

I apologize if I hurt somebody's feelings. But I think that myself and my own are much more important than a cougar. If I saw the world's last panda attacking my wife/son/friend/other, and I had a rifle in my hand I wouldn't hesitate for one second to drop the bear.

Would you not do the same???????????

Stinger

I don't think that anyone in this thread has suggested hunting the cats to extinction.

Nor even trophy hunting just for the sake of trophy hunting. I have no use for that. Big cats are my favorite wild animal.

But the populations need to be managed and people have a right to defend themselves against attack, and should not have to worry about commiting a felony to do so.

Back