Coyote story

I happen to like coyotes. Here on the far northern edge of the Dallas/Ft. Worth metromess, we have lots of 'yotes. You can often hear them singing at dusk or dawn. Hearing them sing is like hearing the call of the wild. I often see them on the way to and from work. Usually after they run across the road, they will stop and look back as if to see if you are following them.
This trait has led to many a coyotes' untimely demise. :)

They are a pretty neat animal and I like having them around. Oddly enough, we have more coyotes around here now than when I was a kid. As the human population of this area has grown, so has the coyote population. The same has happened with whitetail deer. I ran the woods and creeks here constantly as a boy and NEVER saw a deer hoof print much less a deer. Now I see them regularly cross the road. Who would have thought that as humans overrun an area, that the deer and coyotes would follow?

Back to the coyotes though. The city folk moving out to this area just freak out when they see a coyote. There are tv news reports on regularly of new residents demanding that something be done about the coyotes they see/and hear in their new sub-divisions. :rolleyes: As for 100 lb. coyotes, I am extremely skeptical about the accuracy of those estimates. If you were to actually shoot a 100 lb. coyote, I would bet that a great deal of "ground shrinkage" would occur between the time of the shot and the time you arrive at the coyotes' body. :)

At the risk of straying from the topic, I thought I'd mention that coyotes killed a deer at dad's place this week. Apparently a doe tried jumping over the barbed wire fence of his pasture, and didn't make it over. She got her back legs hung up and tangled in the wire. Wednesday night, my mom came out of the house and heard the coyotes going crazy. She had never heard them sounding so strange, and even called dad out to listen. I guess they took advantage of the trapped doe, and devoured her hindquarters while she was still hung up on the fence.

If they show themselves within range, it's their mistake. :)

If they show themselves within range, it's their mistake.
I agree. One showed himself this morning at about 300-350 yards. I grabbed my 25-06 and drilled him, rump first, DRT, thump, dead.

Three weeks ago, one was out at 300 yards (again). I mis-read the range and shot over him, he went about 20-25 feet, and turned around to see what happened. My second shot went through his heart. :cool:

I want a bag coyote soooo bad....!
Missed once from 10 yards with a slug in a smoothbore (those are SO inaccurate :rolleyes: ) and one busted me this season while bowhunting for deer...third time's a charm I hope?

I'll definitly be hunting coyote in the not-so-distant future. Problem is, with a pack 20+ strong and stories floating around about larger packs attacking rather than skattering when you shoot ( Sounds far-fetched to me), I would rather wait until I purchase a 9MM with a large capacity.

For "attack" stories, make sure your salt shaker is handy.

Unless you've eyeballed 20 coyotes, be dubious. They tend to hunt in family units. Mama, Papa, and two to four younguns. Now, I agree that some three coyotes can SOUND like 20.

Variation on the theme:

"I was attacked by one of those killer pigs!"

"Javelina?"

"Thanks, no, already had one."

Sorry...

Art

I have heard several "coyote attack" stories, of which I believe, with some hesitancy, exactly ONE. My hunting buddy was scouting (not hunting) after deer season with another friend of the family whose honesty is not questioned. The story went that they came around the berm of a tank one icey cold January day, and heard lots of coyote barks approaching. Around the berm came a running doe, pursued by a pack of hungry coyotes. The deer went closely by the two men, and the hot-blooded coyotes decided that the slow-moving pink things would be easier to catch than the fleet-footed deer. My friends each had bolt action rifles, but their pistols were under their warm coats. One managed to lock up his bolt action rifle after one shot, the other emptied his 4 shots and went to his pistol under his coat, but by that time had turned the pack. They scored, IIRC, a couple of hits, with one dead in front of them. No gnawing took place. :)

Even from this fairly reputable source, I've got a box of Morton's handy.
attachment.php

I can see how a pack of preocupied coyotes running after a deer that ran past two men could appear to "turn on" the men, when in fact they were simply focused on the deer running behind the men, and not realize what was happening until the shots started raining in amongst them.

Attachments

• With a grain of salt.JPG
    With a grain of salt.JPG
    4 KB · Views: 116
I think it's about the same with stories of javelina attacks. More than once I've walked into the middle of a bunch of them during the noonish hours. They're laid up snoozing. When they jump and run, they all head in the same direction, so one or three of them are going to come right at you. They can't really see you, as nearsighted as they are. They're fleeing, not attacking, although having one run between your legs can get you a defensive slash...

Art

Precisely! And you can bet your bottom dollar (a phrase which conjurs up some odd images in my head) that by the time that tale is told for the 5th time, the hunter was beset upon by a pack of attacking javelina, all bent for his blood. But for his quick actions, he might have been KILLED! :)

Meanwhile, out in the brush, said javelina piggy is saying, "eww! What's that odd coppery taste to my prickly pear this morning?" And back he goes to munching. :)

Ive had some coyote experience around here (West-Central Saskatchewan) they are surely not 100lbs around here but id say 60 is fairly common. we had 3 take after our old dog who usually chased them away from the yard it was fun to see old buddy out tearing after a yote but three came in one time and tore after him at the time the only gun in the house was a .22 so we scared them off but it couldve gotten worse. Apparently we now have a few wolves in the area which is extraordinarily wierd but they were seen by people who can tell the difference between yotes and wolves. I think im going to start taking the SKS yote hunting with the call because if a wolf is coming in im gonna want more rounds in the magazine than the Savage, which wont feed can offer.

Ive had multiple coyotes respond to calls i pulled in three last year with a single 30-second toot on the jackrabbit call. they all know me now and after one miss they rarely turn around to let me get another poke. my personal best shot was a trotting 250 yarder with the .243

Back