Coyote gun?

I hunt just about everything (aside from birds) with an AR of some sort.

When it comes to coyote I use an AR chambered in .223. I had an AR chambered in .204Ruger and that thing was AMAZING on coyote out to 500 yards but I was offered a ridiculous sum of money for it. With that money I was able to buy 2 complete AR rifles (in the current market's prices) as well as a few hundred rounds of Federal American Eagle .223 (I needed more casings anyway).

More often than not when I shoot coyotes they're on the run crossing my field of fire and at least 200 yards away. Yes I have successfully taken them at those distances - in fact my longest hit was well past 400 yards (around 425 according to my range finder - the old kind that you had to dial in the two images till they made one image then look at the dial for the distance) and when I did hit the coyote went down where it was hit. In fact it flipped over upon impact and stayed down. I've got a friend who successfully killed a coyote beyond 500yds (well ok so that's what he told me but I've no reason to not believe him) with his AR chambered in .223 as well.

Having a high cap mag helps a lot when shooting at small targets running full tilt 200+ yards away from you. Sure I know some guys who have taken coyote with bolt actions, shotguns etc. I've even shot a coyote with a Marlin .44mag lever gun and open sights (distance of about 30 yards out of the back window of my buddy's house) and man did that make a mess!

Even in today's market you could build yourself an AR for about $1000. You just have to hunt around a bit for the deals on parts. If you're looking for a built AR rifle you'll have to be willing to spend at least $1500 nowadays. Maybe in the future the prices will drop down to something more like BEFORE the Newtown incident. Back then I could build a whole rifle for $600.

TC Contender in .204 Ruger

I've had success using most of the guns in my arsenal for coyotes with the following results:
.17 Savage - Nice for close work but too light for a large dog much over 75 yards; It's hard to follow a blood trail from a hit 'yote through the brush when grounds frozen but there is not snow to help with the sign.
.270 Winchester - Hand loaded to match volocity with my dear/elk round. Does the job but makes a mess and any range I am capable of shooting accurately, about 250 yards.
30/30 Marlin - The best of the three except shots at 200 yards begin to requrie some hold over which is OK since for the me the challenge and fun is calling them in close rather than the shooting.
When a dedicated coyote gun makes it to the top of my list I'm planning on making it a TC Contender rifle in .204 Ruger. It should be enough for coyotes but hopefully not too heavy to make a major mess of a fox or bob cat. The single shot is because I know myself well enough to realize that if I had an easy backup shot, say from an AR, I wouldn't take as much care with the first shot and would end up with more misses. As I said the challenge for me in coyote hunting is calling them in close. The shooting is a cross between a public service and practice for big game hunting.

I've had very good luck with my Marlin in 22MAG. Scope is Simmons 44MAG featuring 2X to 7X.

Jack

Marlin22MAG.jpg

My first yote i took was 450 yards with a 223 Savage FVSS as for the AR platform in a 223---Can't beat it for a yote gun. Now i just need to get one:D

Back