Coyote caliber

Seven1 - like I said before, I have known people who have killed coyotes out to 500 yards with the .223 remington. While you are correct in the .22-250 being more powerful, the ammo is much more costly. Sure, the premium ammo might be the same cost, but if he's at the range, likely he would want to be shooting cheaper ammo, something the .22-250 doesn't have. Now, I think it you are planing on shootijg yotes out past 500 yards, the extra 50-100 yards the .22-250 doesn't make sense when you could buy something like Hook said in 6mm Remington, or a similar caliber.

I just did a quick check for ammo prices on AmmoSeek:

.22-250: $0.588 per round ($11.75 per 20)

.223: Very easy to find under $0.25 per round, $219.50 for 1000, or $4.69 for 20 rounds.

Now keep in mind that is cheap Tula ammo, but if you don't mind shooting it, it can really save some cash. Even brass cased .223 is only $8 or less for a box of 20 rounds.

John

Right now.... .223 is available in any bullet you wish....
Does the job and is plentiful

I remember during the panic.... You could find .204 and 22-250 fairly well and not .223

However... A few boxes of varmint class bullets in .223 will likely outlast any future shortages.

Choose something that you afford to practice with

I agree with rickyrick, I was just planning a new AR-15 upper build, and while I
liked the 6.5 Grendel, it just isn't cost effective for me to buy it. If you buy the .223, rest assured it has plenty of power and like rickyrick said, make sure to always have a good supply on hand in case another ammo shortage hits.

John

I bought a .223 Ruger American yesterday, I got a 30-06 too. I can't wait to get them both to the range. I scoped them both with Hawke 4-12x50 BDC IR scopes so the will look, feel and weigh the same.

SARuger- the 223 will more than suffice beyond 300 yards. I took my first one at about 450 yards. Dropped like a rock right where he stood. Hornady 60gn V Max. Sure does work good.

.223 is a new caliber for me so I'm excited to try it out! With spring on the way I will be hitting the range a good bit soon to get it "right" then it will be time to call a few in.

I decided to keep my 770 .243 as a truck gun since its really not worth anything but if I'm out on the private dirt roads in the Powerstroke and I see a yote I will be ready. The farmers that let me hunt always appreciate getting rid of another predator that stresses their live-stock.

The 223 gets a lot of rap around here for different reasons, but if you take it for what it is ( Varmint rifle). There is not a better calibr (IMHO ). It's deadly, Very Accurate, and just darn fun to shoot. Cheap to reload. Put a good strong scope on it( I have a 8-32 -56 on mine). Ground hogs,gophers,Yotes,ect. With the right bullets it's like a little pee shooter that can. 600 yards plus with them. Just a very enjoyable caliber to shoot.

Back