Cowboy Gun Spinning

Why the negativity?

I practiced over a couch, or bed, backwards, forward, road agent spin, border shift. Now I don't think twice about giving my SA revolvers a quick flip out at the range after doing a bit of hip shooting practice. Nothing fancy though. Some guys can twirl two, and throw behind back and all that. Not me!

.Does it make 'em shoot more accurate?
Obviously ... No.... But it is 'fun'. Just as juggling is 'fun', or .... All work, and no play, makes Johnny a dull boy!

"What is the purpose for spinning guns?.....Does it make 'em shoot more accurate?" Yes, spinning gives the barrel a rotational memory polarization 90 degrees out of phase with the rifling. This can cut wind drift at longer ranges.

I met a guy at work back in the 70's. He worked with a lot of the television stars
who were or had been in westerns. He showed me some of his fast draw stuff. It was amazing. He named some of the cowboy types he knew and worked with. Sammy Davis was always right on top of his list.:cool:

I suppose back when the Western was Hollywood's bread and butter,some showy six gun skill was good for landing a part.

Actually,one of the fastest six gun draws ,along with Sammy Davis,was Jerry Lewis.

I like Val Kilmer's style with the cup.

https://youtu.be/KFnTjNys-VY

Decades ago,several young folks rented a neighboring farmhouse.One of them owned a Ruger Single Six 22 WMR.One of the room mates took an interest in it.
The story went that he took it out of the holster,unloaded it,cleaned it,reloaded it,put it back in the holster.Then he unholstered a bottle of tequila.

Later,he strapped on the holster,drew,cocked,and pointed the Ruger,then went for a backspin into the holster.

This results in the gun firing upside downbarrel just about horizontal,muzzle pointed at the lower abdomen.

The bullet went in below his appendix,and came out his buttock.

It nicked the femoral artery,and he darn near died.

Last edited:
Don't spin the thing on the trigger. That's what the trigger guard is for.
Actually, one of the fastest six gun draws was Buddy Hacket. All the trick shooting he did on Circus of the Stars was real.
Johnny Carson was an archer as I recall. Shot apples off McMahon's head.

Actually, I was pretty good. It is no different from pro basketball players spinning the ball on a fingetip or football players spinning the ball on the ground; it is simply a way a pro can show off his command of his tools. But, as I said, I decided that the fun was not worth the possible damage to the gun. A basket ball or football won't break or get all banged up if dropped.

Jim

Today, real guns and blanks have about disappeared from movie sets. After a couple of tragedies, using real guns will mean either no insurance or insurance only at an astronomical cost. They use dummy or deactivated guns and the flash and bang are added to the digital master in the famous "back room". That is why you sometimes see the muzzle flash a couple of inches away from the muzzle. (While most folks still talk about "film", it is not used much any more either. Digital is easier, cheaper, and doesn't leave tens of thousands of dollars worth of film on that infamous "cutting room floor.")

Jim

Back