Could history be changed?

A lot of political opinion and political agendas are presented as HISTORY and NEWS; nothing new, it’s been going on for all of history.

What is going on today, is folks seem to lack basic comprehension skills and can’t decipher between real news and history and opinionated agendas... or they simply don’t care.

I don't think history will disappear. Yes, many are taught history wrongly or don't care, but many do care and hence the popularity of lots of right-wing leaning books on history, government, economics, etc...also, there is a growing backlash against the (IMO) excessive anti-male, anti-Western civilization political correctness being forced down people's throats nowadays, which has led to a hunger on the part of many to study original history and documents. Also manipulation of information and facts for biased political reasons has been going on for centuries. You look at some of the stuff that the government and other entities got away with back before the Internet and mass media and so forth, and it will make your head spin.

Aguila Blanca said:
This is true. Look at all the furor that followed the Heller decision. For years, various people on the anti-gun side had been arguing that the 2A "meant" that the right to keep and bear arms applied only to militia duty [and that, since today the National Guard is the militia, it meant that only the NG should have guns]. Then Antonin Scalia upended that with a scholarly dissection of grammar and sentence construction, and -- by a 5-4 vote -- it became the law of the land that the right to keep and bear arms is NOT linked to service in the militia (or the National Guard).

And Hillary Clinton (who is a lawyer) has stated that Mr. Scalia was wrong.

My understanding is that by the 1990s, the majority of legal journal articles on the issue were of the opinion that the Second was protecting an individual right. That the anti-gun side fought it out with them and lost. The problem when Heller happened is that so many of the anti's have no knowledge of any of this scholarship. To a person well-informed on the debate, there was nothing really new or original to anything Scalia said in his decision. He was just summarizing the conclusions reached through decades of research on the subject that have been around for years.

Regarding Hillary and other such lawyers, IMO being a lawyer unto itself doesn't really give one any kind of in-depth understanding of the Second Amendment, hence why so many have so little understanding of it. Even high-level lawyers, for example Chief Justice Warren Burger in 1991, said about the NRA's claiming the Second protects an individual right: “One of the greatest pieces of fraud, I repeat the word fraud, on the American public by special-interest groups that I have ever seen in my lifetime.”

Now, IMO, he would never have said that if he'd had any understanding himself of the scholarship on the issue, because anyone familiar with the scholarship, even if they still disagree with the individual right interpretation, would agree that a very good case for it can nonetheless be made and it is thus easy to see why people believe it as such. His stating that also showed that he had no understanding of what the NRA even is (it is not any "special interest group").

I would also state that thus far, in online debates with people on the Amendment's meaning, I have never come across anyone that could decisively refute the individual right interpretation. Like present an argument where I read it and think, "Oh CRAP, I hadn't thought about it that way before, he has a point."

Last edited:
LogicMan said:
My understanding is that by the 1990s, the majority of legal journal articles on the issue were of the opinion that the Second was protecting an individual right. That the anti-gun side fought it out with them and lost. The problem when Heller happened is that so many of the anti's have no knowledge of any of this scholarship. To a person well-informed on the debate, there was nothing really new or original to anything Scalia said in his decision. He was just summarizing the conclusions reached through decades of research on the subject that have been around for years.
True. As evidence we can look at the in-depth report prepared by the United States Senate in 1982, and the report prepared by the U.S. Attorney General's office in 2004. Both were extensively researched and well documented by citations back to the time of the drafting of the Constitution.

Regarding Hillary and other such lawyers, IMO being a lawyer unto itself doesn't really give one any kind of in-depth understanding of the Second Amendment, hence why so many have so little understanding of it.
I don't believe they don't understand it. I think they understand it perfectly, but they use their lawyerly education and skills to obfuscate the issue while they persuade the general populace that the Constitution doesn't say what it says.

Even high-level lawyers, for example Chief Justice Warren Burger in 1991, said about the NRA's claiming the Second protects an individual right: “One of the greatest pieces of fraud, I repeat the word fraud, on the American public by special-interest groups that I have ever seen in my lifetime.”

I got to thinking on this last night, and it put me, once again, in awe of the wisdom and foresight of the Founding fathers.

Any one man can be captured by his own opinions, right or wrong. I think most of us are that way, about something In life, sometimes many things.

This quote from a Chief justice is a prime example of why we don't have a Supreme Judge, we have a Supreme Court.

Back