cost to cast rifle bullets?

Been casting for almost 50 years and still have a large supply of cheap WWs and linotype so I don't figure metal cost. So figure the cost of metal and about 3.5 cents per bullet if you use a gas check.

It all depends on the cost of your lead and size of bullets. Free wheel weights = free bullets. Expensive lead at $3 per pound will equate to about $.09 per bullet using 200 grain bullets. Finding a good source of lead is a must.

You will also need to lube or powder coat the bullet but this is fairly cheap at $.01 to $.02 per bullet. To start casting it can be done fairly cheap, but buying quality molds can add up real fast.

I don't reload but having done "some" research into the subject wheel weights use to be the most common source for most reloaders.

But as someone already pointed out most new wheel weights are actually zinc not lead and you DEFINITELY do not want zinc in your mix.

If you're close enough to be near a boat yard I have heard from a few people that you can get the counter weights on the bottom of sail boats for sometimes cheap or even free.. the problem is they're very heavy and difficult to haul intact.. so expect some surgery on site and a good pickup.

Lot of people have taken to mining from the back stop of outdoor ranges.
I think this is a very YMMV kinda thing however.. but you're guaranteed already good quality casting lead.

Im currently toying with the idea of getting into casting low cost bird shot target loads into reduced power slug/buckshot.

I figure cost should be minimal, lead is already there, just need a pot, mold and a lee load-all which run less than 50.

should be a fairly simple operation, I don't think you'd have to adjust powder or anything.. just open up, poor the shot, load it back up.

anyone else do this?

Last edited:
I seem to remember that shot isn't a good choice for casting, something to do with the arsenic levels...can't remember off the top of my head.

i started casting in the early 60,s for all my rifles-pistols- muzzle loaders, and still cast for my odd ball rifles and muzzle loaders. but i buy bulk cast-sized and lubed bullets at gun shows, they can be had in many different calibers- weights- dimaters for 45-60 dollars per 500. that may not work for every body, but it does for me. and i was into casting, i still have 3 electric lead pots and 2 sizers with about 40 or so molds. eastbank.

i started casting in the early 60,s for all my rifles-pistols- muzzle loaders, and still cast for my odd ball rifles and muzzle loaders. but i buy bulk cast-sized and lubed bullets at gun shows, they can be had in many different calibers- weights- dimaters for 45-60 dollars per 500. that may not work for every body, but it does for me. and i was into casting, i still have 3 electric lead pots and 2 sizers with about 40 or so molds. eastbank.

Thanks Joe Sixpack, it worked!

I don't use commercial cast bullet's. Did it one time years ago in a 41 Mag. Didn't realize you could get that much lead in a barrel. Over the years, now and then I read of someone else that had a leading problem with commercial cast bullet's. Don't ever want to risk leading up a barrel like that again. I think that if you bought them then took them home and lubed them or PC'd them, they would work, maybe!

Easy to keep zinc and steel out of your lead. Melt about 650* and the steel and zink will float out on it's own. They both have a higher melting temp.

Last edited:
Back