Correct way to handle hostage situations?

http://www.snopes2.com/rumors/pilot.htm

The pilot/captain came on the loudspeaker after the doors were closed. His speech went like this:

"First I want to thank you for being brave enough to fly today. The doors are now closed and we have no help from the outside for any problems that might occur inside this plane. As you could tell when you checked in, the government has made some changes to increase security in the airports. They have not, however, made any rules about what happens after those doors close. Until they do that, we have made our own rules and I want to share them with you.

Once those doors close, we only have each other. The security has taken care of a threat like guns with all of the increased scanning, etc. Then we have the supposed bomb. If you have a bomb, there is no need to tell me about it, or anyone else on this plane; you are already in control. So, for this flight, there are no bombs that exist on this plane.

Now, the threats that are left are things like plastics, wood, knives, and other weapons that can be made or things like that which can be used as weapons.

Here is our plan and our rules. If someone or several people stand up and say they are hijacking this plane, I want you all to stand up together. Then take whatever you have available to you and throw it at them. Throw it at their faces and heads so they will have to raise their hands to protect themselves.

The very best protection you have against knives are the pillows and blankets. Whoever is close to these people should then try to get a blanket over their head -- then they won't be able to see. Once that is done, get them down and keep them there. Do not let them up. I will then land the plane at the closest place and we WILL take care of them. After all, there are usually only a few of them and we are 200+ strong! We will not allow them to take over this plane.

I find it interesting that the US Constitution begins with the words "We, the people" -- that's who we are, THE people and we will not be defeated."

Just something I found interesting... some logical fallicies, but the emotional value is real and tactically true. So we fight.

Hostages

Palladin,Spectre,Art, et al,
I see that you have come to the conclusion about life as many of us had learned in the martial arts in the 60's...you only have two choices in life when faced with your demise...."to die..." or "to die fighting, hopefully, to take one of the b@stards with you."

It was in a movie, wasn't it where an Indian warrior said, "Today is a good day to die!"

As a "warrior", you must be prepared to die at anytime.

As "warriors" we train to face death honorably and not show fear. Many of you have chosen to be a "warrior" in this game of life....as an American warrior, we have trained to make the other b@stard die for his believes.....we do not chose to die first."

Good to see some of you have chosen your way of life.

Most hostage situations (even on airliners) end with the hostages going home safely. It's rare to kill a hostage and almost unheard of to try and kill everyone.

That USED to be true. It now must be assumed to be a case of kill or die.

At the last gunshow I noticed that the little plastic knives a.k.a. CIA letter openers were selling like hotcakes.

In 1949/1950, I lived in Manila. Went to high school with kids--and two cousins--who had been interned by the Japanese. I guess that's when I got a feel for the harshness of some of life's choices. A tour of occupation duty in Korea in 1954/1955 just added to it, being stationed at Inchon and knowing that a friend of mine had died there during the invasion.

So, yeah, "It's a lovely day to die!", as said in the movie "Little Big Man". I'd rather die laughing at some clot-brain whose plans I'd messed up, than cowering in fear.

:), Art

Whatever the response, you would have to size up the situation and act quickly.

Once the terrorists get past the inital panic and confusion of the inital threat, they will act quickly to secure the passengers and minimize the chance of resistance. In most cases this will include buckling all the passengers into their seats, with male passengers moved away from aisles and blind spots. The bad guys could also restrain the passengers with wire ties or the like. Once that has happened, you chances of fighting back sucsessfully have dropped like a stone.

Before the WTC attack, I would have advised people to sit tight. However, in the wake of the Tuesday attack, I think that the only rational response to a hijacking is to assume that the hijackers mean to kill the hostages.

So commit and move quick.

- Chris

Back