corncob in the flash hole.

chris downs

So I have some .45 acp cases that are primed, but I want some a little cleaner so into the corncob tumbler they go. Most of them now have a chunk of corncob in the flash hole. Sometimes I can rap it out, sometimes not.

Is there something I should do? Thanks.

I have a Lyman 223 case trimmer that has a pin on the end that is perfect for that.

You just punch it out with something but that Lyman fits just right and the pin being small primer is easy to slip into a large primer pocket (have not tried small, probably a bit harder but workable).

I can't remember which mfg, but some of it has a different size media that does not get in as much but still some. Larger I think but....

My MO has been to just punch all the brass with the pin regardless as some can hide and its easier than trying to look each time.

Walnut I think is better but I find it does not do as good a job. I like my brass really shiny even though the gun does not care.

In the future get 20-40 corn cob. It can still happen but very seldom. For now it’s just punch them out by hand.

What good would a pin do. The op states that the cases are already primed so no way to stick a decapping pin through flash hole.

Pop them on the bench a couple times and just load em up and shoot. A primer will blow through any little bit of cob. I wouldn't even look inside again until charged with powder.

If these are live primers, personally I wouldn’t put them back in the tumbler. Probably not a big deal, I just wouldn’t do it. Murphy’s law ya know.

In the future, would never put primed cases into tumbler. What to do with the ones you have may depend on how many have corn cob stuck in the primers/holes?

I did the pry with a needle part. That would clear some but not others. I will try the tumble for a short while without media. Any that still have corncob I'm going to separate, then load and fire some to check it out.

You can use a small drill bit to gently drill into and pull out the corncob. I would do it by hand with a pin vice holding the drill bit. Just be darn sure to wear eye and ear protection and a glove while doing it in case a primer goes off. If the drill bit makes it all the way to the bottom of the primer anvil, it could also disturb the priming mix and cause a squib, so don't use this ammo for anything you need to rely on, like match ammo.

Short of that, if you are using a fast pistol powder in this, the chances are the corncob will just blow out of the gun along with other unburned debris. I would also recommend against using rounds loaded this way for match ammo, both because of the corncob possibly causing short ignition delays that tend to let shooter wobble open up groups, and because the tumbler-vibrated primers have more chance of producing a squib, though it probably won't be much.

For the future, as others commented, do your cleaning before you size and prime. That improves the life of your sizing die and lets your decapping pin push the corncob out. As suggested, go to a smaller size of corncob or the walnut to avoid plugged flash holes.

Another fan of walnut media, but it can still get stuck in flash hole. This statement from actual experience. Although that might be dependent on the grade/condition of media/flash hole size.

What good would a pin do. The op states that the cases are already primed so no way to stick a decapping pin through flash hole.

I skipped over the primed and read just tumbled. My mistake.

Prying would seem to risk primer damage and if a weak firing pin strikes or a primer movement causes a change in firing, that may as well (media in there) though may not know it with a 45 pistol.

I think the dry tumbler idea is better, I see no downside.

Yep, I missed that too. Actually, it never occurred to me to put them back in the tumbler after they were primed. I'm with the go ahead and shoot them group.

Don't put primed brass in any tumbler ... corn cobb , walnut shell or stainless steel pins and water .
The dry media will clog the flash hole and the wet media isn't great for the priming compound . If you do the wet tumble ... make sure the priming compound is completely dried out . When wet the compound is inert and won't fire .

When reloading do as Aretha Franklin sings in her 1968 hit song ... Think !
Gary

I doubt you could ensure a primer dried out in a case after wet.

From experience, those kernels stuck in the primer hole can be hard to pin out.

Ergo, will they flash out so easily or will you wind up with an odd fizzle or poor ignition?

Best to deal with them and be sure and generally as noted, don't get there in the first place.

Back