Core Lokt or Power Point?

Which do you prefer for what purpose, and what cartridge? They are about the same performance wise on game. Keep the velocity reasonable, and the range reasonable and you will not be able to tell the difference.

If the range is too far, (about 250 yards in most cases) the low BC is going to slow them down enough that will have delayed killing increasing the chance that you may not recover the animal. High velocity, and close range and you will have bullet failure having the same results.

They are general purpose budget projectiles for the economy minded hunter. I like both of them, but one must understand their limitations.

Really makes no difference but that's an apples and oranges comparison. Power Points are Winchester's name for what Nosler calls a Ballistic Tip and Remington calls an Accu-tip.
Core-Lokts are SP's and are about the actual bullet construction. How the jacket and lead core are held together.

T.Oheir, the Power Point is a spitzer soft point, the Ballistic Tip from Nosler has a polymer tip.
How are they the same bullet? They're not.

Last edited:
Years ago when I hunted with a 742 06 carbine. I found Win 180 gr. P/P ammo a bit to long to where they often jammed my Rems action. Have never had that problem with Rem 180s or with any other Rem center fire production ammo.

When the business place called Lock-Stock & Barrel was about to shutter its windows & doors. They sold off their huge supply of bulk bullets cheap. At that time I bought 270-130 gr and 30 cal 150-170-180s by the thousands count. All Winchester Silver Tip bullets. Which I consider to be one of the best Soft/P bullets ever made.

Whichever one is on sale and stocked on store shelves. I've used both CL and PP when I'm short on reloads, or didn't have my presses set up to reload a specific round. IMO I think the CL is a little more sturdy in it's construction, either one will easily work on deer.

The only time I shot any Power Points was when I bought a .270 at a gun show. Stopped at Walmart to pick up a couple of boxes of 150 gr. PP's. Same with the Core-lokts. Bought a couple of boxes of 150 gr. CL's to test out my new .280 Rem. I've only shot my hand loads since then.
Paul B.

Back