Core Lokt or Power Point?

Power point because my guns tend to shoot them better. I also can always find PP locally at a cheap price. I have killed a lot of game with PP 180gr with the 300 Win Mag. Either will work great on game so just pick the one your rifle likes best. I favor Federal Fusion over PP in some of my rifles. The are a bit tougher but still give you rapid expansion.

Power point always shot a little better beyond 100 yards for me. However i have used the 180 grain 30-06 core lokt in the woods and it just plows through deer.

I've been using the 150 grain PSP core-lokt in .30/06, .308, and RN core-lokt .30/30 for whitetail for over 40 years. Sufficient accuracy and excellent performance on game. I never had a failure that could be attributed to the bullet. When I started reloading for these calibers I stayed with the core-lokt as my bullet of choice.

I've never used the power point, it may be just as good.

Would love to find some core-lokt bullets for sale some where in .30 and 7mm for reloading but haven't seen them stocked any where.

First deer I kilt was with a CoreLokt. Second deer that I kilt was with a Power Point.

Third deer I kilt was with a home made bullet.

All worked good enough for me therefore I do not prefer one over the other.

They both performed as the manufacturer said they would and I was happy.

I am assuming that over the years they are still made the same as I have used neither since the mid 60s.

Core-Lokt. (Except for the 165 gr option in .30-06. Me no likely that one.)

Power-Points are the single most inconsistent bullet I have ever weighed, measured, or shot, in any caliber.

Would love to find some core-lokt bullets for sale some where in .30 and 7mm for reloading but haven't seen them stocked any where.
Remington announced a while back (2013, I think) that they won't be selling component bullets or brass until the demand for loaded ammunition has been met. (It's more profitable.)
Don't hold your breath.

I really lean towards Corlokt bullets for hunting. I had less than good results from the Winchester silver tips when I was younger and I just never went back. As I got older, I learned that matching a bullet to a certain rifle really makes a difference, and not just with accuracy.

I have found the PP ammo is more consistant than CoreLokt in our rifles, such so, that I have come close to duplicating 100 grain PP with my daughters .243 winchester, using 100 grain Sierra GameKings and winchester Supreme 780, damn near same results..

Shoot with a gent who loves to hunt. He got a nice Colorado bull elk a couple of weeks ago and went on another African big game hunt this summer. He reloads for most of his rifles and has quite a variety of them, suitable for any thing from a pairie dog to an elephant.

One day at range I asked him what bullets he preferred to use for hunting. His answer was, Remington Core Lokts......that he'd shot more game with them than any other bullet.

Back in the 60s when I was a boy my dad preferred Core Lokt over silvertip, I don't recall power point back then. He had the gold and made the rules.

We used .243, .257 Roberts, .270, .30-06, 7mmRmag. At some point dad got a Sako .257 Weatherby. In that he used Weatherby ammo with Nosler partition. Back in those days when his eyes were good I saw him make unbelievable long running shots with that .257W and 7mm.

Reading all these successful comments regarding both bullets, I love new bullet technology but still the old fashion bullets get it done cheaper and just as good in most situations. I have a Kimber Montana 308 that will shoot 1" groups at 200 yards with 150 grain PP. I can't reload any better than that.:D

Last edited:
For something with plenty of power like 30-06 they are fine. For 243 maybe a stronger bullet is needed.

I have some old stock 150 gr. 7mm Corelokts I could send you to try. 20 OK?
PM me if interested.

I bought 500 of ea. in bulk about 25 years ago. I've used most of the .308 but still have over 400 of the 7mm. They are Rem PSP which I assume are Corelokt since I think thats all they had back then. I think they were either 150gr or 140gr but i'll have to double check. I'd be willing to reduce my supply if you are interested.

I always had good results the Core Lokt. Accurate enough and I never had even a single question regarding the bullet not doing what it was supposed to do.

For my 30-30 carbine:
- 170 grain PP provides very good accuracy and rapid expansion
- 150 grain PP less accurate but same rapid expansion

- 170 grain CL provides just OK accuracy and good but not great expansion
- 150 grain CL provides very good accuracy and rapid expansion

So there you have it: two bullet weights in different brands provide great results.

Jack

Back