Cor-Bon, Triton, or.............

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCV

Ok guys, for personal defense ammo for the 9mm and .45 ACP should I go with Cor-Bon or Triton?

Or, is there a better mousetrap out there?

CCV: Just MHO, but I recommend Cor-Bon or any other proven JHP of any brand. Why? Because I'm of the "...bullet that stays in one piece and retains the most weight..." school, regardless of caliber.

Perhaps I will change my mind when there is a wealth of data comparing the real "street" stopping effectiveness of conventional JHPs vs. frangibles which shows that frangibles are SIGNIFICANTLY better stoppers under MOST conditions. Oh yeah, they must be just as accurate in my pistols, or I won't shoot them.

I guess I'm just a stick in the mud kinda guy...

Mike

[This message has been edited by Mike Spight (edited August 13, 1999).]

Mike, I suggest you go with ball FMJ ammo, as it retains the most weight. ;)

Otherwise, your point is well-taken. But I like Quik-Shoks!

Triton, if you cant find Tritons - then go CorBon...

------------------
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

Greetings. I've had good luck with both, but lean toward the Triton 115 gr.Quik-Shok in 9mm and their .45 version as well. My preference is based upon better accuracy although the Cor*Bon is often a little faster. Best.

Greetings. Both are excellent and efficient rounds. The Cor*Bon is a bit faster than the Triton, but I find the latter more accurate in 9mm and .45ACP. Best.

I have been a Triton fan since my friend turned me onto them several months ago, and I pretty much stick to their ammo for defensive carry.

Corbon has had a lot of complaints from people that run them through chronos that they vary a lot from box to box in velocity. Chamber pressures are way high also. Not bashing CorBon, but that is what people who run a lot of it through testing say. Also, I think that Triton has better bullet designs overall and even though they are fast, they don't just depend on speed, they put time into bullet design too....a LOT of time.
I am eager to see full ballistic testing data on Triton's website which they say will be posted soon. There also will be a forum going up over there for questions and answers (I can take credit for that suggestion, and I am eager to see it happen).
Triton offers the frangibles, QuikShok AND the HiVel hollowpoints, so you don't have to choose a fragmenting round. Their Hi-Vel is a standard hollowpoint. Once again, I am eager to see the gelatin tests of these rounds to see myself how they perform in media.

Greetings, Thaddeus! The most-consistent 9mm round from Cor*Bon that I've ever fired was their now discontinued 124 gr 9mm loading which used the XTP bullet by Hornady. It's average velocity from my HP was 1258 ft/sec with an extreme velocity spread of only 21 ft/sec! Everything else I've fired by them in either 9mm or .45acp had around 100 ft/sec extreme spread. Though this is not "bad," neither is it as good as might be hoped for.
Triton 165 gr .45 Quik-Shok averaged 1231 ft/sec with extreme spread of only 33 ft/sec and their 185 gr Hi Vel averaged 1208 ft/sec with extreme spread of 33 ft/sec as well. Also, Triton's 115 gr Hi Vel averaged 1320 ft/sec and its extreme spread was only 52 ft/sec with most shots being within 12 ft/sec of each other. I prefer Triton because it groups a bit better from my guns. Also, I've recovered two of the 9mm 115 Hi-Vels from javelinas. Great expansion and the hits were most effective. Best.

Out of my G17 the ES with triton was 33! Also I should note that the Cor-bon does fragment on impact, at leastn the 115gr 9mm and both of the .357 sig rounds. the Triton HI-VEL does not because it is a bonded core hollow point.

------------------
G17 THE BEST THERE IS.THE BEST THERE WAS,THE BEST THERE EVER WILL BE!

Only one waord for the best ammo for saving your life. PROLOAD.

Corbon is not safe to use. It is loaded consistantly too hot for safety. It is a KaBoom waiting to happen.

Triton is hard to get, and in my mind, is not proven.

John Koppel at Proload has been around forever and has forgotten more about ballistics than peter pi (corbon) ever knew. Just where did peter go to school?

The bonded Gold Dot in nickel cases have proven themselves to be on an equal par if not better than Federal ammo.

I will carry proload ammo in my G30 45 and will be well protected.

BilltheCat: You have brought up a good point about CorBon, but do you have any substantiated facts or anecdotes regarding CB Kabooms? This is obviously a very important issue and I would sell or discard my existing Corbon ammo if I thought there was a real chance of this. What do you know that we don't?

There have been documented cases of problems with ammunition from Cor-Bon, Federal, Winchester, Speer, etc. If an ammunition company makes enough ammo for a long enough perioud of time, problems will come up. In Cor-Bon's case, the problem is increased because they are high profile. We are in the same boat, too.

Cor-Bon also had problems with employees that translated to ammo hitting the market that was defective. Again, it can happen to any company. It is a matter of how well the company addresses the problem.

My personal choice is Triton for personal carry but what the heck, everyone expects me to say that.

Billthecat:

Yeah Bill...I've shot Cor-Bon off and on for about 6 years in 9mm, .40S&W and .45ACP, but no KB yet...had not heard (or read) of any problem until you mentioned in this thread.

Any sources you can recommend in reputable gun rags, etc where this problem has been reported and addressed? Understand that "...a buddy's wife's sister's husband heard at his range in EBF Oklahoma that some guy shooting Cor-Bon blew up his gun..." doesn't logically lead to: Eureka...Cor-Bon is dangerous ammo!

Seriously, if there are verified tests and reports that show the stuff to be dangerous we'd like to know about it...thanks much!

Mike
PS: I don't know of ONE WORD of any ammo for saving your life: I do know two and they are SHOT PLACEMENT!!!

CCV,

My advice is to stay with the big three for defensive ammunition: Federal, Remington, and Winchester.

In my experience, Federal is far and above the best ammunition on the market. They're quality control cannot be beat. They're Hi-Shok, Hydra-Shok, Nyclad, and Personal Defense lines all seem to open up well in soft tissue and retain their shape. Federal also seems to have significantly lower flash signature than other companies. Even their general purpose .41 Magnum load (210-grain at 1300 fps) has almost no flash signature out of a four inch barrel).

Remington has many good designs on the market and many of the standard green and yellow box JHPs are just awesome. I tried a cheap box of standard velocity 185-grain JHPs in .45 ACP in my Colt LW Commander and was shocked at how surgically accurate they were. The Golden Sabers are also the cream of the crop.

Winchester is also quite excellent, but they're JHP designs do not seem to open up as rapidly or consistently as Federal's in as wide a range of calibers. Personally, I use the Silvertip loadings in 10mm Auto and .41 Magnum.

No experience with Triton, but I've had many bad experiences with Corbon and they're spotty quality control. Further, many gunsmiths have Corbon is a bad idea period. This includes Bill Laughridge from the Cylinder & Slide Shop.

If I were to go outside of the big three, it would be Georgia Arms as they seems to have awesome quality control from the 1000 or so rounds I've fired from them.

- Anthony

Triton and CorBon are about the only game in town if you want the +P+ LE type ammo in 9mm.

I would lean Triton for the nickel cases
though I prefer the Sierra bullets to the Funnel points.

I have come across a lot more QC probs (split cases, dings, dents, missing primers, etc) in CB and Triton than the big boy's though, and I have shot/seen waaaaay more of the big boy's stuff.

Gonna be a little while longer before I trust Triton/CB as much as Fed, Rem, Win, Speer, though there are plenty of other people I trust who trust them now...

Proload and Black Hills are right up there too.

My picks now are:

38 125/130 Rem GS, WIN SXT, Fed HS, Speer GD
357M any 110, 125 med vel from Rem
9mm 124 +p Rem GS
40 155/165 STHP, HS, GS, GD
45 185/230 GS, HS, GD, SXT

------------------
>>>>---->

I have to agree with Anthony. I have tried all the mentioned rounds in my 45. ACP. Of all of them I stay with either Fed HiShok 165 JHP or Rem Gold Saber 185+P JHP. These have both been proven man stoppers and in my particular gun, are very accurate. I would recomend looking up a review on your particular gun and see what bullets they used. This will help you judge accuracy for your particular gun. As far as stopping power I have to give it to the big 3 (Rem, Fed, Win).

------------------
"It is easier to get out of jail then it is a morgue"
Live long and defend yourself!
John 3:16

Triton if you can find them (Quik Shoks are my favorite), or Federal ammo, such as Hydro-Shoks.

I don't so much subscribe to the "bullet that stays in one piece and retains the most weight" school of thought. I personally like the way the QuikShoks are designed to split apart, giving three different wound channels.

Just my .02 and HO.

------------------
"...What will you do without freedom? Will you fight?... Fight, and you may die, run and you'll live, at least a while. And dying, many years from now, would you be willing to trade all the days from this day to that, for just one chance, to tell our enemies, that they may take our lives, but they'll never take our FREEDOM!!!"
-------------------------
je suis prest

As an aside topic (but related - someone mentioned +P ammo): I liked Georgia Arms and have been happy with my orders from them. But their most recent catalog caused them to lose credibility with me. They are advertising for sale "40 S&W +P+" ammo. Now there is no SAAMI spec for 40 s&w +P, LET ALONE +P+, so they are either (1) liars, or (2) selling unsafe ammo. There is no other possibility.

Cor-Bon has been located in Sturgis, SD now for several years. The comments about Cor-Bon having had a problem with an employee that translated to ammo problems is, as I understand it, ancient history tied to when the company was located back east. Not sure of the details including whether there were field problems as a result before the stuff was all rounded up.

I'm with Mike S. too. I have yet to come across clear reputable information that a gun blew up with current production Cor-Bon ammo. I have heard of unsupported chambers, and feeding problems driving the bullet farther into the brass causing problems, just as I've heard of Glocks discharging when not fully in battery (1/64" out of battery) all causing gun blow ups. It is so easy to make statements about so-called problems. Rarely do the actual facts support the stories.

-=[Bob]=-

[This message has been edited by bald1 (edited August 20, 1999).]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back