Copper fouling

You need to clean smarter, times change, technology moves us forward.

Get a bottle of Boretech's Eliminator copper solvent, follow the directions. They even have a more heavy duty cleaner, CU+2.

Both will get rid of copper like now, get a stainless steel jag, that way you don't get a false positive from a brass one.

This stuff is non hazardous, very light smell but nothing that will drive your wife crazy! You can use it indoors or out, whatever you need to do. By far one of the best cleaners on the market.

Just don't order it from them, they have some weird shipping costs. Get it from one of the big box gun stores.

Spot on, I don't worry about the jag though. It saved my marriange as Hoppe was doing my wife in, only place I cvould clean guns was outside (kind of hard raining)

I will add that most guns suffer more from Carb on and the Carbon Killer 2000 (also non haz and non smell) works wonders and is my go to.

I had a bit of copper streak in my 06 target a month back and cleaned it out with the Bore Tech.

A help is the LYman bore scope. Its not precision like Hawkeye but you can see if you are getting clean. Ergo, that is how I spotted the copper streaking.

For the Carbon Killer I take my cleaning stuff to eh range and I clean when the barrel is warm. It makes it faster. I used an eye dropper to drizzle on a nylon brush, then thorough the bore, drizzle more on when its out of the bore on the front, then a few stroked, a dry patch and repeat until clean.

It's not the brand of solvent. It's the method of use.
Plug the muzzle with a rubber cork, fill the barrel with solvent(vs endless patches/brushes) and leave it over night. Then clean as per normal. Repeat as required.

Yes it is. As usual you are wrong.

1. Bore tech and Carbon killer are non hazardous. Huge benefit for the cleaner and family.

2. They do not use brute force, they break molecular bonds. You can do it quite fast easy and safe.

Happy to leave you the nasty stuff. The rest of us can move onto more effective and safe.

Don't be afraid of change or to learn new stuff my friend.

Buy a quality copper solvent as mentioned and let it do the work.

Change itrself is not good. It can be good, bad or nuetral.

In this case chemistry has moved on and what you can get is good.

Just be sure its non haz and no odor. That is a plus for you primarily, but your family as well.

Others than Bore Tech and Carbon Killer 2000 may fit the same safe and effective bill, I don't know, those were in a report and I went with it and have not looked back (and my wife is immensely happy)

So, if you try something else, make sure it matches the non haz and low/no odor first, then is it effective and if you want guaranteed, the go with Bore Tech and Carbon Killer 2000.

DON'T EVER plug a bore and fill it with solvent and leave it overnight!
Most solvents will etch steel with prolonged contact. This method could ruin a barrel!

That is because they are brute force and will dissolve glass.

The new stuff (if its done right) attacks at a molecule level and is not like a bottle of goo from Chernobyl

I have in fact left both Bore Tech and CK2K in a barrel overnight (not plugged) to break up a rifle that was cleaned with Hopees for years (layer upon layer up layer of carbon mostly as the Hopees never got it all out.)

Once clean its a cinch of about 4-6 runs through with a brush and patch.

Like most, I started out using Hoppe's 9. Shot HP rifle competition for years and somewhere along the line switched to Hoppe's Benchrest which is a better copper solvent than #9. Still hard to keep up w/copper fouling. Tried many different solvents, some quite harsh ammonia based, then found Tactical Advantage. TA works on both powder and copper fouling, unlike most solvents. More about TA here: https://sharpshootr.com/tactical-advantage/

308 BAR after 29 rounds w/Lyman bore scope:
48778361523_20cb5ede45_m.jpg
48778720606_26e25dcc28_m.jpg
48778361503_635f85fd50_m.jpg
48778903492_acafc6a924_m.jpg

Apply Tactical Advantage with 8 strokes of .308 Iosso stiff nylon bore brush, let soak overnight. (Note picture shows .338 bore brush)
48723594752_e674b9ce86_c.jpg

48778720176_7d45db5af2_m.jpg
48778903042_0b5f79b810_m.jpg
48778720176_7d45db5af2_m.jpg
48778361053_2a7ce2892e_m.jpg

Regards,
hps

Well I have a job for some copper remover:
1. Eliminator
2. Gunslick foaming bore cleaner
3. KG12
None of these have done the job so far, so I ordered the CU+2 copper remover from Bore-Tech, we will see.
Rifle is a 1903a3, barrel is nice with very strong rifling,.
Haven't tried JB's bore paste but I have some.

I use Wipeout foaming bore cleaner and it can be left in over night or more without harm to the bore. A certain 22-250 came to my house for load development and it was in sad shape but we soon had it right with a couple applications of Wipeout and NO BRUSHING. Patches came out the purtiest blue until the copper was all gone. The same can be done with the Wipeout liquid on a plastic brush.

Hoppes #9 is saved for "after shave". :rolleyes:

RJ

For copper I have always used Barne's CR-10 and had good results. But you only leave it in the bore for a short time and for sure not over night.

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting...wder-cleaning/barnes-cr10-solvent-2oz/p/p2705

I guess if it were bad enough you could use the old Army trick of straight ammonia in the bore. But do it at your own risk.

And you you are sold on Hoppe's then find some of the Hoppe's Benchrest bore cleaner. Its made for removing copper fouling. I have a big bottle of it and it works. But not as fast as CR-10.

I received a Teslong borescope for Christmas. I spent 2 plus days after Christmas cleaning copper out of bores "I thought" were clean.

Boretech Eliminator did the trick. Just follow the instructions, and repeat until patches no longer come out blue. Good stuff!

I have used just about every brand of copper solvent known to shooters. I began with Sweets 7.62 and have some Montana Copper remaining. In complete honesty, I cannot tell difference in copper dissolving among the various brands I've used. The caveat is I've never used generic/of brand copper solvent.

If Hoppes #9 dissolves copper, it must have a secretive way of doing it because it's never worked for me.

My guess is a 2 dollar, 64 oz bottle of ammonia would dissolve copper just as thoroughly as a twelve dollar name brand copper solvent.

Back